News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Named Exits on I-540

Started by US71, August 29, 2010, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Gridlock Guru
reports that AHTD is changing all the exit signs along I-540 between Fayetteville and the Missouri State Line to "Urban" designations... or street named exits as opposed to destinations.
I noticed this Friday on my way to Missouri. Exit 62 (US 62/AR 180) has changed from the Farmington/University of Arkansas Exit to Martin Luther King Jr Drive.

Here is my guess as to the exit changes: (UPDATED)

Exit 60 (AR 112/AR 265): currently posted as Razorback Rd/Cato Springs Rd. No change
Correct

Exit 61 (US 71): Fayetteville to ?? (Fulbright Expressway?, Airport?, School Ave {NO!})
No change

Exit 64 (AR 16 West/ Spur 112): has always been Wedington Dr, so that will probably not change.
Correct

Exit 65 (Porter Rd: no change (recently upgraded to Clearview)
Correct

Exit 66 (AR 112): "no name" exit to Garland Ave
Correct

Exit 67 (Bus 71): Fayetteville Business District to ?? (Fulbright Expressway? College Ave? {NO!!}
No change

Exit 69: Johnson to Greathouse Springs Rd or Main St
Greathouse Springs Road

Exit 72 (US 412): Springdale/Tontitown/Siloam Springs to Sunset Ave
Correct

Exit 73 (Elm Springs Road): no change... recently upgraded to Clearview
Correct

Exit 76 (Wagon Wheel Road): no change
Correct

Exit 78 (AR 264): Lowell/Cave Springs/Rogers to W. Monroe Ave
Correct

Exit 81 (Pleasant Grove Road): No change... recently upgraded to Clearview
Correct

Exit 82 (Promenade Blvd): No change... new exit, already Clearview
Correct

Exit 83 (AR 94 East): Currently posted as New Hope Road / Pinnacle Hills Pkwy. Will lose AR 94 designation, but remain New Hope/Promenade
Pinnacle Hills Parkway

Exit 85 (US 71B/AR 12): Currently Bentonville/Rogers to Walton Blvd/Walnut St
71B, WEST AR 12
SE Walton Blvd
  Walnut St

Exit 86 (US 62/ AR 102): Bentonville/Rogers to SE 14th St
West AR 102, East US 62, East AR 12
SE 14th St
  Hudson Rd

Exit 88 (AR 72): Bentonville/ Pea Ridge to NE Central

Exit 93 (US 71B): Bentonville to NW Walton Blvd

Exit 98 (AR 340): Lancashire Blvd... no change, already upgraded to Clearview
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on August 29, 2010, 08:00:40 PM

No more Exit 69/Johnson?  Noooooooooo!

agentsteel53

that is okay; exit 69 on I-75 in Michigan is Big Beaver Creek.  that'll do.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: bugo on August 29, 2010, 09:15:30 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 29, 2010, 08:00:40 PM

No more Exit 69/Johnson?  Noooooooooo!

Better get up there and get some photos ;)

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2010, 09:20:28 PM
that is okay; exit 69 on I-75 in Michigan is Big Beaver Creek.  that'll do.

Big Beaver Road, not Creek.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjk374

What "official" reason do they give for this expensive and useless (my opinion) changing of all of these exit signs?  I know in another thread, you showed the US 65 NORTH exit on I-40 at Conway being change from 3 control points to a street name...what logic do they base these changes on?  :hmmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on April 08, 2011, 12:14:22 AM
What "official" reason do they give for this expensive and useless (my opinion) changing of all of these exit signs?  I know in another thread, you showed the US 65 NORTH exit on I-40 at Conway being change from 3 control points to a street name...what logic do they base these changes on?  :hmmm:

Signs were (supposedly) out/worn out. Many were button-copy. AHTD says they got a Federal Grant to replace the signs.

... We are in the process of replacing most of the signs along I-40 from the Oklahoma state line to North Little Rock. Those "BGS's" as you call them begin losing their reflectivity, or conspicuity, after about ten years. Most of the signs we are replacing have been in place for more than 20 years. I think you'll be able to tell the difference, especially at night, between the old signs and the new ones.

As for how these signs are being paid for, let me say that highway funding is a very complex issue. This project is being funded with a combination of federal funds plus the required state match. Our federal funds come to us in dozens of categories with specific criteria on how those funds can be used. The federal funds we are using for the sign replacement project are not funds that could be used to construct I-49. As for your suggestion that we set the money aside to later go towards I-49, that practice is not allowed.  Federal funds must be expended, or they must be returned to the federal government where they are then sent to other states. I want to point out that Arkansas has never returned money to the federal government - we have too many needs to be sending money back.

As for the Exit designation change, it has something to do with "metropolitan" areas.

bassoon1986

so in place of city names on the 540 exits, are there now signs for say "Rogers...next _ exits" ?  or a separate sign for exit 72 that says "Siloam Springs next exit" ? 

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on September 16, 2011, 12:33:58 PM
so in place of city names on the 540 exits, are there now signs for say "Rogers...next _ exits" ?  or a separate sign for exit 72 that says "Siloam Springs next exit" ?  

There are signs for Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville that say "xx Next 6 Exits" (or however many there are).

There are separate, free standing signs for Johnson, Siloam Springs, University of Arkansas that say "xx Exit 69" (or whatever exit it is)

M86

US71 is correct.  I noticed recently, that they changed the northbound signage for "Rogers Next 6 Exits" to "Rogers Next 5 Exits".  This is to exclude the Monroe Ave (Lowell exit).  And it makes sense. 
For some reason, the signage overhaul hasn't reached Exit 85, Exit 86, or Exit 88.  The northbound signage for Exit 86 is some of the worst I've ever seen on a sign.  It's completely faded, and barely readable.  Yet, AHTD decides to replace other signage along I-540 before the dilapidated ones along 540 at Exit 86 (and northbound Exit 85).  They have been replacing those signs for months.  I don't understand why it takes so long to put the new ones in.  That, and I can't stomach the stupid abbreviations that AHTD uses!  "Nat".. Is that natural (AR is the natural state) or national?  "Wash", "Co", "Reg"... People going by at 70 mph will not be able to make the decision!

On a side note, AHTD is putting in a cable median barrier along I-540 between Exit 86 and Fayetteville.  That's like putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.  Yeah, its nice, but get the issues at the core of it.  Capacity and design issues!  It just irks me beyond reason... Especially since Little Rock has the highest Interstate miles per capita of large cities.  I-540 is one of the most dangerous roadways in AR, and those in Little Rock will not address the core issue.

US71

Quote from: M86 on September 17, 2011, 03:54:01 AM
US71 is correct.  I noticed recently, that they changed the northbound signage for "Rogers Next 6 Exits" to "Rogers Next 5 Exits".  This is to exclude the Monroe Ave (Lowell exit).  And it makes sense.  
For some reason, the signage overhaul hasn't reached Exit 85, Exit 86, or Exit 88.  The northbound signage for Exit 86 is some of the worst I've ever seen on a sign.  It's completely faded, and barely readable.  Yet, AHTD decides to replace other signage along I-540 before the dilapidated ones along 540 at Exit 86 (and northbound Exit 85).  They have been replacing those signs for months.  I don't understand why it takes so long to put the new ones in.  That, and I can't stomach the stupid abbreviations that AHTD uses!  "Nat".. Is that natural (AR is the natural state) or national?  "Wash", "Co", "Reg"... People going by at 70 mph will not be able to make the decision!

AHTD has a contractor doing the signs and they appear to be doing them in order. 264 signage was just upgraded last month, so there must be a delay.  Part of the reason the signage looks so bad for Exit 86 (US 62/AR 102) is some of the signs got damaged when the Olive St /SW 28th St bridge got widened last year (again proving AHTD is reactive, not proactive).

Oh, and it didn't help that they had to fix the signs at Exit 69  :pan:

M86

The Olive/28th bridge widening did not affect the signage on I-540 for Exit 86 at all.  The signs were already in huge disrepair, but the construction didn't make them worse.

And I saw the Johnson/Exit 69 sign craziness... and noticed it right away.  So much money wasted...

My favorite AHTD gaffe is the signage on the southbound off-ramp at Exit 86.  It says Hudson Road is to the west (right). 

And, they replaced a "north" banner on an I-540 sign with a black on white.  It irks me every time I drive by it.

US71

Quote from: M86 on September 18, 2011, 08:45:07 AM
The Olive/28th bridge widening did not affect the signage on I-540 for Exit 86 at all.  The signs were already in huge disrepair, but the construction didn't make them worse.

And I saw the Johnson/Exit 69 sign craziness... and noticed it right away.  So much money wasted...

My favorite AHTD gaffe is the signage on the southbound off-ramp at Exit 86.  It says Hudson Road is to the west (right). 

And, they replaced a "north" banner on an I-540 sign with a black on white.  It irks me every time I drive by it.

I noticed that banner last week on my way home from Springfield. I meant to get a photo, but didn't.

I wrote AHTD about "Great House Spring Rd" and they already knew about the mistake. Their response was something like "We didn't know better because the street signs are wrong"

I'm curious how they will handle Exit 85 (71B/AR 12) given 540 runs along the city limits between Rogers and Bentonville.

Now if you look at SB signage for Exit 86, it's in much better shape. It also uses the 1970's -style shield for US 62, but NB uses an earlier design.  I need to remember to get photos next time I'm up that way.

Scott5114

Is the Greathouse sign a patch or an all new sign?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

M86

Quote from: US71 on September 18, 2011, 09:19:58 AM
Quote from: M86 on September 18, 2011, 08:45:07 AM

I noticed that banner last week on my way home from Springfield. I meant to get a photo, but didn't.

I wrote AHTD about "Great House Spring Rd" and they already knew about the mistake. Their response was something like "We didn't know better because the street signs are wrong"

I'm curious how they will handle Exit 85 (71B/AR 12) given 540 runs along the city limits between Rogers and Bentonville.

Now if you look at SB signage for Exit 86, it's in much better shape. It also uses the 1970's -style shield for US 62, but NB uses an earlier design.  I need to remember to get photos next time I'm up that way.

I'm one of those who like the newer shields of everything (I know I'll get a lot of crap for that!).  I hate the old fonts... What does AR use for older state shields?  I hate it.
I noticed that they signed the "Hobbs State Park and Conservation Area" at Exit 86, rather than Exit 85.  It'll be interesting to see the new Exit 85/86 signage.

Also, why are they inconsistent with the new signage?  Some of the exit tabs are Clearview, and some aren't.  It drives the OCD in me crazy!  If you're going to do Clearview, do it right and consistently.

I've emailed AHTD a few times.  There's an obvious missing "AR 102" shield missing from the signage assembly at the northbound Exit 86 off-ramp.  And it hasn't been fixed... Yet they updated a few signs along the same ramp.  It boggles my mind.  I think the AHTD needs a huge "clean-up"... The fact that Little Rock has one of the highest Interstate miles per capita further drives me insane.

US71

M86:

I think some of the inconsistencies may be the result of some of the signs being replaced individually perhaps by AHTD over the last couple years rather than during the Upgrade project which is being done by a contractor (Elm Springs Road was replaced a couple years ago, as was Wagon Wheel Rd. Promenade Blvd is a new exit)

But you know Arkansas does everything on the cheap (like not posting 71 along 540).

If you contact AHTD, write directly to Joe Shipman (Joe.Shipman at arkansashighways.com). If you go through Little Rock, it will delay things a few days or you'll get an idiot who doesn't understand your question (I once asked when the state shields went from State xx Road to Arkansas XX and was told "we quit using those signs in 1971 because the MUTCD was revised")

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 11:17:20 AM(I once asked when the state shields went from State xx Road to Arkansas XX and was told "we quit using those signs in 1971 because the MUTCD was revised")

did you actually get a correct answer to that?  my guess is around 1932 but a definite answer would be awesome

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 19, 2011, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 11:17:20 AM(I once asked when the state shields went from State xx Road to Arkansas XX and was told "we quit using those signs in 1971 because the MUTCD was revised")

did you actually get a correct answer to that?  my guess is around 1932 but a definite answer would be awesome

Nope. I'm guessing they changed when the square font was eliminated. but AHTD never could answer my question.  :pan:

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 11:57:46 AM

Nope. I'm guessing they changed when the square font was eliminated. but AHTD never could answer my question.  :pan:

oh, you're right!  the 1932 is I think when they switched away from fully embossed to printed-number.  indeed, I know of no round font "STATE ROAD" signs and no block font signs with "ARKANSAS" so the transition might indeed be 1948 or just after.

in other news, I just received a photo of a US-71 shield with cateyes.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 19, 2011, 12:05:03 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 11:57:46 AM

oh, you're right!  the 1932 is I think when they switched away from fully embossed to printed-number.  indeed, I know of no round font "STATE ROAD" signs and no block font signs with "ARKANSAS" so the transition might indeed be 1948 or just after.

in other news, I just received a photo of a US-71 shield with cateyes.

Tease.

Oh, the 3 Missouri cut-outs I sent a while back (61, 160, 136) don't exist anymore: the pizza place was destoyed by the Joplin tornado. :(

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 12:33:51 PM

Oh, the 3 Missouri cut-outs I sent a while back (61, 160, 136) don't exist anymore: the pizza place was destoyed by the Joplin tornado. :(

start digging.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 19, 2011, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 12:33:51 PM

start digging.

Nothing left

M86

Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 11:17:20 AM
M86:

I think some of the inconsistencies may be the result of some of the signs being replaced individually perhaps by AHTD over the last couple years rather than during the Upgrade project which is being done by a contractor (Elm Springs Road was replaced a couple years ago, as was Wagon Wheel Rd. Promenade Blvd is a new exit)

But you know Arkansas does everything on the cheap (like not posting 71 along 540).

If you contact AHTD, write directly to Joe Shipman (Joe.Shipman at arkansashighways.com). If you go through Little Rock, it will delay things a few days or you'll get an idiot who doesn't understand your question (I once asked when the state shields went from State xx Road to Arkansas XX and was told "we quit using those signs in 1971 because the MUTCD was revised")

Thanks for the tip.  They also do not post US 62 along I-540 between Exit 86 in Rogers and Exit 62 in Fayetteville.  Why the hate for co-signing?  NW Arkansas has a lot of road-related issues that need addressing ASAP... mainly capacity and design issues... *Sigh* I wish this state would give their DOT the funding they need, and stop directing it all towards Little Rock.  But from what I've heard, AHTD needs to clean house too, and get rid of some of those that have been there since the Jimmy Carter administration.

Also, US71, are you familiar with the roadway-lighting policy of AHTD?  I had emailed them about some sort of roadway lighting of I-540 (Roadway lighting is seriously lacking here - on city-maintained and state-maintained roads) in Rogers/Bentonville/Springdale/Fayetteville... It's considered an urban section.  The response I got back was "It is not our policy to install roadway lighting.  I would recommend consulting the cities or counties for that request."  Yet, I've seen roadway lighting along I-40 in rural areas at exits/entrances, and installed in Jonesboro and Conway.  I highly doubt the cities or counties installed that.  Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

US71

Quote from: M86 on September 20, 2011, 01:16:00 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 19, 2011, 11:17:20 AM
M86:

Thanks for the tip.  They also do not post US 62 along I-540 between Exit 86 in Rogers and Exit 62 in Fayetteville.  Why the hate for co-signing?  NW Arkansas has a lot of road-related issues that need addressing ASAP... mainly capacity and design issues... *Sigh* I wish this state would give their DOT the funding they need, and stop directing it all towards Little Rock.  But from what I've heard, AHTD needs to clean house too, and get rid of some of those that have been there since the Jimmy Carter administration.

I think Bugo asked them a few years ago why 62 and 71 aren't posted and got a BS answer about only posting the "highest priority" road.  However, I believe there are US 71 shields on Porter Road and on AR 112.

Also, US71, are you familiar with the roadway-lighting policy of AHTD?  I had emailed them about some sort of roadway lighting of I-540 (Roadway lighting is seriously lacking here - on city-maintained and state-maintained roads) in Rogers/Bentonville/Springdale/Fayetteville... It's considered an urban section.  The response I got back was "It is not our policy to install roadway lighting.  I would recommend consulting the cities or counties for that request."  Yet, I've seen roadway lighting along I-40 in rural areas at exits/entrances, and installed in Jonesboro and Conway.  I highly doubt the cities or counties installed that.  Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

Sounds like typical AHTD: half the people seem clueless. I wish Gridlock Guru was still around so someone could ask him to find out.

[/quote]

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.