News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 412 Upgrade

Started by US71, January 24, 2012, 08:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I don't how this got under my radar, but US 412 is being upgraded to a 4-lane divided highway between Hindsville and Huntsville, Arkansas.

412 was upgraded several years ago from Springdale to just past Hindsville, so this will be a continuation of that upgrade.  The new roadway will be on a new alignment to the north of current US 412, crossing over to the south just past Glade Creek, then crossing back north again just past the Hilltop community.  There are new bridges under construction at Glade Creek and the new roadway is partially paved west of there. Beyond Glade Creek there is still a lot of leveling of terrain. Most of the construction currently ends just past CR 8505 (total distance approx 3 miles) so there is approximately 2 more miles to the beginning of the Hunstville Bypass that hasn't started construction yet.

So far, I've not been able to find any info on the AHTD website, so I will likely be contacting the District Engineer for more information.

UPDATE from AHTD
  The new highway will be a four lane divided highway mirroring the section of 412 to the West of the new project.  The staging of the construction and traffic is done in three phases.  The first phase is to complete approximately 85% of the earthwork and place all the white base and asphalt in these areas, excluding the final 2" of the new asphalt.  The next phase is to move the traffic onto portions of the West bound lanes of the new roadway, while utilizing four areas of the existing roadway, and finish the rest of the earthwork on the project.  The roadway during this phase will be two way traffic occupying the West bound lanes.  This will be done over the entire length of the project.  The last phase is to remove portions of the existing roadway (including the existing bridge over Glade Creek) and place the final 2" of asphalt for the entire project.  The estimated completion date for the current project is September of 2013
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dariusb

Do you foresee 412 west from Springdale one day being upgraded to a freeway to connect with the Cherokee Turnpike in Oklahoma?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 17, 2012, 02:58:55 AM
Do you foresee 412 west from Springdale one day being upgraded to a freeway to connect with the Cherokee Turnpike in Oklahoma?

There are plans for a Springdale Bypass which would pass to the north, but there is no money to build it. I've not seen any maps published, though. It would start somewhere east of Siloam Springs (possibly even west of West Siloam Springs, OK)  and end somewhere just west of Sonora. Its northernmost point would be near Wagon Wheel Rd and would somehow tie in to a toll road to XNA.

But the area is growing so fast, the longer AHTD waits, the harder it will be to build.

rte66man

All that is needed at the west end is a Siloam Springs bypass. The road between there and Tontitown is plenty good.  If the Springdale Bypass starts west of Tontitown and goes east, then 412's immediate traffic problems would be solved.

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on February 17, 2012, 07:53:13 AM

There are plans for a Springdale Bypass which would pass to the north, but there is no money to build it. I've not seen any maps published, though. It would start somewhere east of Siloam Springs (possibly even west of West Siloam Springs, OK)  and end somewhere just west of Sonora. Its northernmost point would be near Wagon Wheel Rd and would somehow tie in to a toll road to XNA.

But the area is growing so fast, the longer AHTD waits, the harder it will be to build.

Fixed quotes - Alex
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

dariusb

There are plans for a Springdale Bypass which would pass to the north, but there is no money to build it. I've not seen any maps published, though. It would start somewhere east of Siloam Springs (possibly even west of West Siloam Springs, OK)  and end somewhere just west of Sonora. Its northernmost point would be near Wagon Wheel Rd and would somehow tie in to a toll road to XNA.

Cool. That's kinda the same situation down in Texarkana concerning the north loop freeway. The longer they wait the harder it will be to build with new neighborhoods and businesses in the way.

M86

All that is needed at the west end is a Siloam Springs bypass. The road between there and Tontitown is plenty good.  If the Springdale Bypass starts west of Tontitown and goes east, then 412's immediate traffic problems would be solved.

rte66man

Fixed quotes - Alex
All that is needed at the west end is a Siloam Springs bypass. The road between there and Tontitown is plenty good.  If the Springdale Bypass starts west of Tontitown and goes east, then 412's immediate traffic problems would be solved.

rte66man

I might need some mod work for my reply. :)

The Springdale Bypass is needed... Doesn't take a rocket scientist.  And 412 is now a huge mass of road west of Springdale.  That darn center turn lane is not a good thing.

dariusb

Quote from: M86 on February 18, 2012, 04:57:57 AM

rte66man

Fixed quotes - Alex

rte66man

The Springdale Bypass is needed... Doesn't take a rocket scientist.  And 412 is now a huge mass of road west of Springdale.  That darn center turn lane is not a good thing.
Are traffic counts high along 412?

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 18, 2012, 02:09:48 PM

rte66man

Fixed quotes - Alex

rte66man

Yes.  412 is a major east-west route between Oklahoma and Harrison, AR. There is a major bottleneck where 412 meets Business 71. http://g.co/maps/3f48m

The city built Don Tyson Parkway 2 years ago on the near south side to take some of the stress off 412, but it hasn't helped much. The area has simply grown too fast to keep up with everything.

dariusb

Quote from: US71 on February 19, 2012, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: dariusb on February 18, 2012, 02:09:48 PM

rte66man

Fixed quotes - Alex

rte66man

Yes.  412 is a major east-west route between Oklahoma and Harrison, AR. There is a major bottleneck where 412 meets Business 71. http://g.co/maps/3f48m

The city built Don Tyson Parkway 2 years ago on the near south side to take some of the stress off 412, but it hasn't helped much. The area has simply grown too fast to keep up with everything.

How bad is 412 at I-540?

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 20, 2012, 11:36:44 AM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

Commercially overbuilt and way too much traffic.

The ramps from NB 540 to US 412 were widened a couple years ago, but still can't handle the amount of traffic in the area. It's also the main "Springdale" exit, so all the hotels and restaurants want to build there, plus there's a large strip mall in the NW corner.

SB 540 exits onto 48th St then follows 48th to 412. 48th St leads to a major residential area. A couple years ago, 412 also became the main exit for Arvest Ballpark, home of the Arkansas Naturals baseball team.

There is discussion about extending Tyson Parkway across 540 to the ballpark (and building a new interchange), but that's still in the planning stages.

As I mentioned before, 412 is a major road (and it was back when it was still AR 68).  Rapid growth combined with Tyson Corporate HQ warrants some sort of traffic relief. Unfortunately, Arkansas is not "pro-active", but primarily "re-active" when it comes to roads. Part of it is money, part of it is misplaced priorities.  The north leg of I-540 was proposed as far back at the 1970's, but nothing was done until the 1990's.  The Fayetteville Bypass, built in the 1970's, is (IMO) an example of poor planning, but best left for another thread.
412/540 interchange

dariusb

Quote from: US71 on February 20, 2012, 12:16:35 PM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

The ramps from NB 540 to US 412 were widened a couple years ago, but still can't handle the amount of traffic in the area. It's also the main "Springdale" exit, so all the hotels and restaurants want to build there, plus there's a large strip mall in the NW corner.

SB 540 exits onto 48th St then follows 48th to 412. 48th St leads to a major residential area. A couple years ago, 412 also became the main exit for Arvest Ballpark, home of the Arkansas Naturals baseball team.

There is discussion about extending Tyson Parkway across 540 to the ballpark (and building a new interchange), but that's still in the planning stages.

As I mentioned before, 412 is a major road (and it was back when it was still AR 68).  Rapid growth combined with Tyson Corporate HQ warrants some sort of traffic relief. Unfortunately, Arkansas is not "pro-active", but primarily "re-active" when it comes to roads. Part of it is money, part of it is misplaced priorities.  The north leg of I-540 was proposed as far back at the 1970's, but nothing was done until the 1990's.  The Fayetteville Bypass, built in the 1970's, is (IMO) an example of poor planning, but best left for another thread.
412/540 interchange

Wow. I can't imagine how traffic will be in the area once I-49 is completed. Since NWA is developing so quickly I'm sure quite a few of the major roads/highways are experiencing similar growing pains.

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 20, 2012, 12:27:34 PM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

Wow. I can't imagine how traffic will be in the area once I-49 is completed. Since NWA is developing so quickly I'm sure quite a few of the major roads/highways are experiencing similar growing pains.

The whole area is a mess. There are plans to eventually widen 540 to 6 Lanes, but no one knows when.

dariusb

Quote from: US71 on February 20, 2012, 12:34:14 PM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

The whole area is a mess. There are plans to eventually widen 540 to 6 Lanes, but no one knows when.

Since traffic/congestion is so bad are there plans for freeway loops around the cities of either Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers or Bentonville? Also, I know this is off topic but does one transit system serve all of NWA or are there seperate agencies and if they're seperate do they all work together?

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 03:21:52 AM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

Since traffic/congestion is so bad are there plans for freeway loops around the cities of either Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers or Bentonville? Also, I know this is off topic but does one transit system serve all of NWA or are there seperate agencies and if they're seperate do they all work together?

Well, that goes back to the 412/Springdale Bypass.

Fayetteville has discussed a bypass along the east side, but I've heard nothing for a long time.

Wal-Mart wants Bentonville to build an exit at 8th St & 540 (and they will), but no rapid transit: AHTD isn't interested and out congressmen will make sure nothing is ever built.

A bypass of a bypass? I'm not sure how feasible that would be. Probably funnel more vehicles through the area.

dariusb

Quote from: US71 on February 21, 2012, 06:20:48 AM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

Fayetteville has discussed a bypass along the east side, but I've heard nothing for a long time.

Wal-Mart wants Bentonville to build an exit at 8th St & 540 (and they will), but no rapid transit: AHTD isn't interested and out congressmen will make sure nothing is ever built.

A bypass of a bypass? I'm not sure how feasible that would be. Probably funnel more vehicles through the area.

As slow as the government/AHTD moves concerning highways and infrastructure when are they slated to begin construction of the Springdale Bypass? What street would you say is the busiest/has the highest traffic counts in the area?

texaskdog

Please change the number, too

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 03:09:06 PM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

As slow as the government/AHTD moves concerning highways and infrastructure when are they slated to begin construction of the Springdale Bypass? What street would you say is the busiest/has the highest traffic counts in the area?

I have heard of NO timetable: right now, there is no money. The last update I have from AHTD is 2008 where environmental studies were being conducted.

In 2010, Senator Blanche Lincoln requested $20Million to be used for building the 412 Bypass, but it appears that was never passed.

Highest traffic count (not counting I-540) is probably W. Sunset (US 412 West) followed by Thompson St (Bus 71)

dariusb

Quote from: US71 on February 21, 2012, 04:07:17 PM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

I have heard of NO timetable: right now, there is no money. The last update I have from AHTD is 2008 where environmental studies were being conducted.

In 2010, Senator Blanche Lincoln requested $20Million to be used for building the 412 Bypass, but it appears that was never passed.

Highest traffic count (not counting I-540) is probably W. Sunset (US 412 West) followed by Thompson St (Bus 71)

I bet taking Business 71 from Fayetteville to Bentonville instead of I-540 is not only long but time consuming.

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 04:32:47 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 21, 2012, 04:07:17 PM

How bad is 412 at I-540?

412/540 interchange

I bet taking Business 71 from Fayetteville to Bentonville instead of I-540 is not only long but time consuming.

Bus 71 is all 5 Lanes, undivided with LOTS of traffic signals.  Time consuming, yes. Long, not that much longer than 540.

bugo

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2012, 03:30:28 PM
Please change the number, too

The number is fine.  It's an established number, and won't be changed.  It is interesting and gets Roads Scholars talking, which is a good thing.  It would just be another US highway if it were numbered 164 or 162 or 560.

bugo

I remember back in the '80s when the 71 freeway ended near the mall in Fayetteville (The mall wasn't there then.)  It was very slow going.  I'm sure the traffic counts are much higher now and it's even worse than it was then.

dariusb

Quote from: bugo on February 21, 2012, 08:04:36 PM

I remember back in the '80s when the 71 freeway ended near the mall in Fayetteville (The mall wasn't there then.)  It was very slow going.  I'm sure the traffic counts are much higher now and it's even worse than it was then.

Are there plans to widen business 71?

bugo

Quote from: dariusb on February 22, 2012, 01:32:22 AM

None that I'm aware of.  This would be so far down the line that many of us wouldn't live to see it happen.  Besides, there's not a lot of room to widen it.

US71

Quote from: dariusb on February 22, 2012, 01:32:22 AM

It was widened in the 1980's (except Springdale, which had a raised median: they removed it in the late 80's.) There is no room to widen it further without affecting local businesses. I think it would be a bad idea since there are already too many accidents involving people trying to turn left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.