News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road Project You Most Want Completed/Started

Started by dariusb, February 21, 2012, 03:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dariusb

What road projects in your area do you most want either completed or started? In my area in Texarkana I cant wait for the north loop to be completed and the I-69 spur to start construction.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

nexus73

State route 42 in Oregon is the one I want to see finished.  The road section from Coos Bay to Coquille was originally US 101 and shortly after the end of World War II, it was given the 4-lane expressway treatment except for the last 4 miles going into Coquille.  I have waited my entire life to see this last section finished.  ODOT has talked about it and done nothing.

The other section needing a modernization is the part by the Coos-Douglas county line.  It is slideprone, crooked and narrow, the last remnant of what 42 used to be like, which was a total nightmare.  Once again ODOT has discussed it but not gotten with the program.

At the east end of the highway, by Winston, 42 could use a 1 mile extension of 4-lane or at least a 2-lane with center turning lane out to Douglas High School.

This route is the first/last chance to go from I-5 to southern Oregon depending on whether you approach it from the north or south.  It carries a lot of trucks for the timber industry, tourists and local traffic.  The parts that have been modernized are remarkable for how they tamed the terrain.  Now is the time to see this main east-west road that serves southwestern Oregon get the finishing touches.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Takumi

I don't know, maybe the Coalfields Expressway...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

290 across Austin.  Oh wait, that was cancelled.

dariusb

dariusb

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2012, 01:14:28 PM

That's pretty stupid for that project to be cancelled especially since it would greatly improve traffic flow in a city that doesn't have many east/west freeways/expressways. Do you know why it was cancelled?

texaskdog

Quote from: dariusb on February 21, 2012, 03:22:41 PM

That's pretty stupid for that project to be cancelled especially since it would greatly improve traffic flow in a city that doesn't have many east/west freeways/expressways. Do you know why it was cancelled?

Stupid liberals who said "don't build it and they won't come" back in 1985.  Oddly traffic is worse N/S and there are 2 N/S freeways.  There was supposed to be a 3rd freeway from the capitol north to 290.

dariusb

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2012, 03:25:59 PM

Wow. It's a wonder Austin didn't have a freeway loop a long time ago since many Texas cities have loops.

Stupid liberals who said "don't build it and they won't come" back in 1985.  Oddly traffic is worse N/S and there are 2 N/S freeways.  There was supposed to be a 3rd freeway from the capitol north to 290.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

For the mid-south region, a gawd-damn bypass of Baton Rouge.  Unlike Austin, Tx. its white republican racists who keep blocking this relief route to be built in Louisiana.  :pan: :banghead:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

The conversion of US-10/169 to a freeway from Anoka to Elk River, MN.  Unfortunately, the area under study is from Elk River to Zimmerman; I've been known to use that portion as well, but find myself cursing the stoplights much less than south of Elk River.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Darkchylde

LA 3241. We've been waiting for it around here for decades. It's time to deliver.

Anthony_JK

First though one hundredth: I-49 South through Lafayette, at least to Morgan City, ultimately to New Orleans.

101st....errrrrr, second: a southern bypass of Baton Rouge.

Third (though this probably should stay in the Fictional Highways section): a Lake Charles-Alexandria-Monroe-Pine Bluff freeway.

Anthony

Grzrd

A completed four-lane I-49 Bella Vista Bypass in both Arkansas and Missouri.

InterstateNG

290 across Austin.  Oh wait, that was cancelled.

Stupid liberals who said "don't build it and they won't come" back in 1985.  Oddly traffic is worse N/S and there are 2 N/S freeways.  There was supposed to be a 3rd freeway from the capitol north to 290.

Stupid liberals...rich.  

Actually such a freeway would have blown through a bunch of neighborhoods not filled with the disenfranchised and would have provided very little relief.  Traffic is so bad N/S because most of the rush hour traffic isn't from one place in Austin to the other, it's coming from Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Georgetown and even as far north as Kileen.  MoPac southbound is bad because it's the only way out to Oak Hill and Circle C (the slip ramp onto MoPac after 2244 does a lot of damage too).  Even 35 south of town is getting bad because a lot of traffic comes in from Kyle and Buda which has exploded in population.  The new stack at 290/71/35 makes connecting between the two easier, but the old substandard ramp to southbound 35 still exists and doesn't help matters.  That's a mistake not made by "stupid liberals", but by TxDOT.

As for why Austin doesn't have a loop, most Texas cities have flat land surrounding it.  Austin's western hills would make any such facility pretty expensive.  360 was supposed to be that western loop but then people decided they wanted to live in the big house on the big side of town.  Can't say I blame them and the resulting congestion is just part of the cost of living they readily accept.
I demand an apology.

dariusb

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 21, 2012, 10:36:19 PM

Stupid liberals...rich. 

Actually such a freeway would have blown through a bunch of neighborhoods not filled with the disenfranchised and would have provided very little relief.  Traffic is so bad N/S because most of the rush hour traffic isn't from one place in Austin to the other, it's coming from Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Georgetown and even as far north as Kileen.  MoPac southbound is bad because it's the only way out to Oak Hill and Circle C (the slip ramp onto MoPac after 2244 does a lot of damage too).  Even 35 south of town is getting bad because a lot of traffic comes in from Kyle and Buda which has exploded in population.  The new stack at 290/71/35 makes connecting between the two easier, but the old substandard ramp to southbound 35 still exists and doesn't help matters.  That's a mistake not made by "stupid liberals", but by TxDOT.

As for why Austin doesn't have a loop, most Texas cities have flat land surrounding it.  Austin's western hills would make any such facility pretty expensive.  360 was supposed to be that western loop but then people decided they wanted to live in the big house on the big side of town.  Can't say I blame them and the resulting congestion is just part of the cost of living they readily accept.
Oh ok I see now. I didn't think about the hills around Austin.

dariusb

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 21, 2012, 07:31:49 PM
For the mid-south region, a gawd-damn bypass of Baton Rouge.  Unlike Austin, Tx. its white republican racists who keep blocking this relief route to be built in Louisiana.  :pan: :banghead:
I hear ya. I've had the misfortune of beung stuck in a Baton Rouge traffic jam on I-12.

codyg1985

Quote from: Darkchylde on February 21, 2012, 09:38:06 PM
LA 3241. We've been waiting for it around here for decades. It's time to deliver.

Where is this road located?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bassoon1986

I-49 from 220 to the AR state line completed! Who knows if we'll ever see the inner city connector...

TX 114/TX 121 construction in Grapevine...aka the Funnel

I'd like to see the George Bush Extended to US 80 just for a change of having to take 635 every time I leave Denton for LA

I'd love to see the day that lanes are added and exits redone on 35E in Denton

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2012, 08:02:25 PM
The conversion of US-10/169 to a freeway from Anoka to Elk River, MN.  Unfortunately, the area under study is from Elk River to Zimmerman; I've been known to use that portion as well, but find myself cursing the stoplights much less than south of Elk River.

They should move 169 over to 101 south of Elk River and make that a freeway.  Then move 47 to the current 169 routing.

texaskdog

Well there WAS a plan, before everyone lived here.  Back to my original statement about how people just need to live close to work whenever possible, then rush hour wouldn't be so awful. 

Brian556

QuoteTX 114/TX 121 construction in Grapevine...aka the Funnel

This project is already halfway complete..hard to believe that it moved along so quickly.

QuoteI'd love to see the day that lanes are added and exits redone on 35E in Denton
This one would get my vote.

Gordon

A completed I 49 Highway from Shreveport to Texarkana so Arkansas can say they have I 49 is started in the state.

M86

A completed Bella Vista Bypass... Connect the Interstate-ready US 71 in MO to the Interstate ready section in Bella Vista.   Sigh... One can dream though.  And I'd like a much improved section of I-540/future I-49 from Bella Vista to Fayetteville (3 lanes each way, with auxiliary lanes, and SPUI/Parclo's).  I'll still dream!

dariusb

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.