News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highest number of lanes in both directions

Started by 2Co5_14, July 17, 2013, 01:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Co5_14

The following site lists Urban Highways with the Most Lanes:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/tables/index.cfm
My suspicion was confirmed about I-75 northwest of Atlanta being at the top of the list. :nod:
(BTW, if there was an earlier thread on this tiopic, could someone point me to it?)

agentsteel53

I guess this does not include merge and c/d lanes.  I believe there is a segment of I-10 in Houston that is 22 lanes if you include all those.  (not including frontage roads.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Somehow these folks managed to miss the 14 lane wide Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) in Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

sammi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 17, 2013, 01:21:51 PM
I guess this does not include merge and c/d lanes.  I believe there is a segment of I-10 in Houston that is 22 lanes if you include all those.  (not including frontage roads.)

I would assume that all through lanes count. Ontario 401 has 18 through lanes (5 collector / 4 express WB, 4 collector / 5 express EB), and what appears to be two ramp lanes in each direction, at Dixie south of Pearson Airport.

Then again, Canada doesn't count.

jeffandnicole

Since the list is dated July 2010, it doesn't have some of the major projects from the last few years.

Depending on the criteria used, the Garden State Parkway over the Raritan River is now 15 lanes - 7 Southbound, 8 Northbound (divided into two, 4 lane roadways).  2 of those lanes exit from the GSP just north of the bridge.

Chris

agentsteel53

for a different perspective on "wide", here is Avenida 9 de Julio in Buenos Aires.

jake@aaroads.com

SteveG1988

IT lists I-95 as 14 lanes, where is it 14 lanes in NJ? NJTP when it splits?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Doctor Whom

Quote from: Chris on July 18, 2013, 02:22:43 PM
US 50 in Baltimore?
The location column refers to urban areas rather than cities, and the built-up parts of Anne Arundel County are in the Baltimore urban area.

sammi

Commonweath Avenue (Abenida Komonwelt), Metro Manila Radial Road 7, widest in the Philippines with up to 18 through lanes. This shot shows part of the northbound (I think?) carriageway, composed of 8 lanes (including a motorcycle lane) and 3 lanes for a bus, taxi and jeepney stop on the right side. The Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) Temple is in the background.

1995hoo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 18, 2013, 03:45:15 PM

The Turnpike is 4-3-3-4 north of Exit 11, I believe, up to where the spurs split.

If you count every lane across the exit lanes, HOV carriageway, joining and departing flyover ramps, and such, Shirley Highway in Springfield, Virginia, is 25 lanes wide at one point between I-495 and Route 644 just to the south. (I say "Shirley Highway" because I'm still not 100% clear on where exactly I-395 is considered to begin now and whether the different carriageways/flyovers bear different route numbers.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2013, 04:30:18 PM

The Turnpike is 4-3-3-4 north of Exit 11, I believe, up to where the spurs split.

Close.  Exit 11 to Exit 13A, where they couldn't grab enough right of way to maintain the 4-3-3-4.  The turnpike splits between Exits 14 & 15.

If you want to stretch the definition of # of lanes, there is an 18 lane section of the Turnpike (3-3-3-3-3-3) for about 1/2 mile between Exit 14 & the split.  Although the outer roadways are really just an extended ramp from Exit 14 to the split, the NB outer lanes has its own VMS and VSLS.

http://goo.gl/maps/KcYsl

CNGL-Leudimin

M-30 in Madrid gets as wide as 14 lanes (3+4+4+3) in the Eastern part. But sincerely, I have never driven anything wider than 10 lanes.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 19, 2013, 09:56:37 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2013, 04:30:18 PM

Close.  Exit 11 to Exit 13A, where they couldn't grab enough right of way to maintain the 4-3-3-4.  The turnpike splits between Exits 14 & 15.

If you want to stretch the definition of # of lanes, there is an 18 lane section of the Turnpike (3-3-3-3-3-3) for about 1/2 mile between Exit 14 & the split.  Although the outer roadways are really just an extended ramp from Exit 14 to the split, the NB outer lanes has its own VMS and VSLS.

http://goo.gl/maps/KcYsl

Umm... no, the Turnpike has 4-3-3-4 between Interchanges 11 and 14. However, the right lane ends in each direction at Interchange 13 before beginning again with an added lane from the merging ramp. I really don't know what's up with that, but ROW is as good a thought as any.

2Co5_14

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 17, 2013, 01:21:51 PM
When I posted this, I was thinking of highway segments where the only divider was between opposing directions.  There is a distinct feeling you get driving in the extreme left lane and seeing almost 100 feet of open pavement to your right.  Especially when you have to make 7 lane changes within less than 2 miles to get off at the next exit!  :wow:

agentsteel53

Quote from: 2Co5_14 on July 22, 2013, 12:46:15 PM

When I posted this, I was thinking of highway segments where the only divider was between opposing directions.  There is a distinct feeling you get driving in the extreme left lane and seeing almost 100 feet of open pavement to your right.  Especially when you have to make 7 lane changes within less than 2 miles to get off at the next exit!  :wow:

I think the most lane changes I've done in one swoop is 7.  somewhere in Atlanta.  (285?)  from the extreme left lane to the extreme right.  fairly low traffic, so I decided to do all 7 at once even though my exit was not for another mile and a half.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Chris

Proposed 24-lane cross-section of I-10 in Phoenix.

agentsteel53

is Phoenix traffic that bad to justify 24-laning I-10?  it does sometimes get a bit wedged, but if we're looking for a place that really needs 24 lanes, check out a dusty little town to the west called Los Angeles.

jake@aaroads.com

AsphaltPlanet

I can't see how Phoenix really needs a 24 lane wide section of I-10.  Yes, it is a busy road, but Phoenix is not that big of a metro area.  Also, I would think the western loop of 202 would alleviate some of the need to widen I-10 at least for the short term.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hm insulators

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 22, 2013, 04:39:19 PM
I can't see how Phoenix really needs a 24 lane wide section of I-10.  Yes, it is a busy road, but Phoenix is not that big of a metro area.  Also, I would think the western loop of 202 would alleviate some of the need to widen I-10 at least for the short term.

At least until the economy went down the toilet, Arizona was one of the fastest-growing states in the union. There's still talk that once things finally get back on track, that more and more people will move to the Phoenix area to live. The Loop 202 western extension will help if it gets built but there's quite the loud contingent of people, including a number of Native Americans for whom the freeway will encroach on the Gila River Indian Reservation, who don't want it.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hm insulators on July 23, 2013, 03:42:27 PM
more and more people will move to the Phoenix area to live.

...why!?

it's hot and filled with SB1070 maniacs.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

The plan was drawn up just before the housing bust, when traffic volumes were soaring. Phoenix is recovering quite well from the housing bust nowadays, so something may need to be done along I-10 in a decade or so. The construction of Loop 202 will make some difference though, 24-laning is of course a huge expansion project, even by North American standards.

The Broadway Curve is a segment where a lot of traffic from different freeways combine. There are already 13 lanes there.

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on July 17, 2013, 01:26:11 PM
Somehow these folks managed to miss the 14 lane wide Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) in Chicago.

Same could be said for the 12 lane wide I-290/IL-53 between Woodfield and I-90
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 23, 2013, 03:44:45 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on July 23, 2013, 03:42:27 PM
more and more people will move to the Phoenix area to live.

...why!?

it's hot and filled with SB1070 maniacs.

A combination of low cost of living and lots of sunny weather is attractive to a lot of people. My parents are considering moving to Arizona (although not Phoenix specifically) when they retire for these reasons.

And as for the politics, *shrug* one man's maniac is another man's truth speaker.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.