Phrases that are not needed

Started by roadman65, May 10, 2022, 02:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 23, 2022, 06:22:10 PM
I actually find what filler word people gravitate to a fascinating little personality quirk. Especially if they're more unusual ones beyond "like" and "um/uh". I had a supervisor who used "considering", which was notable considering how long it is. Arkansas gubernatorial candidate and former Trump press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was mocked for her heavy use of "look", and most every Ronald Reagan impersonation includes "well" at the start of every third sentence or so.

I never had a voice and articulation class while in college, although I probably would have benefited from one given the number of broadcast media interviews I've done over the years. But I'm always aware of those things and make a conscious effort not to use them, especially on camera or in front of a microphone.

My boss uses "know what I mean" in this manner, quite frequently.

I went to high school with someone whose go-to was "let's see," pronounced "it see."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

I actually find what filler word people gravitate to a fascinating little personality quirk. Especially if they're more unusual ones beyond "like" and "um/uh". I had a supervisor who used "considering", which was notable considering how long it is. Arkansas gubernatorial candidate and former Trump press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was mocked for her heavy use of "look", and most every Ronald Reagan impersonation includes "well" at the start of every third sentence or so.
I used to work with a guy whose filler word was "fuckin'" , with the second syllable always being particularly drawn out. I'd go out to look at a car he was working on, and he'd just randomly throw it in the middle of sentences, like "the tire's showing some uneven wear, fuckiiiiin', but I can't do an alignment on it because the tie rod is bent, so fuckiiiiiin', it needs a tie rod too."
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 24, 2022, 12:11:05 PM
I used to work with a guy whose filler word was "fuckin'" , with the second syllable always being particularly drawn out. I'd go out to look at a car he was working on, and he'd just randomly throw it in the middle of sentences, like "the tire's showing some uneven wear, fuckiiiiin', but I can't do an alignment on it because the tie rod is bent, so fuckiiiiiin', it needs a tie rod too."

I've had an issue over much of my adult life using swear words for filler.  It used to be fairly common amongst my line of work and I kind of inherited for a time.  Fortunately in a professional setting I've always been able to filter it as needed depending on who I was speaking to.

SSOWorld

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 09:00:40 AM
I actually find what filler word people gravitate to a fascinating little personality quirk. Especially if they're more unusual ones beyond "like" and "um/uh".

The Mexican equivalent to 'umm' is 'este', which literally means (adjectival) 'this'.
The uhh fact that you use such things in sentences is that well, uhh interesting. the word "like" is, uhh a common word in, uhh zoomer talk, uhh or even, uhh millennial talk. You don't, uhh like that? well then, uhh ok boomer. (Jeff, uhh Goldblum)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

frankenroad

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2022, 11:57:38 AM

My boss uses "know what I mean" in this manner, quite frequently.

One of my bosses uses "know what I'm sayin'" the same way.  Fortunately, I usually do.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.