News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Wow!  So many places I'd love to ride my bicycle!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: inkyatari on November 08, 2016, 02:31:04 PM

There is actually a cycling site that I'll link over when I get home that has a ton of great info on road grades and conditions for almost every notable road that I find handy.  One of the big bike races out here in the Central Valley is called The Climb to Kaiser which starts out at Clovis and uses the parts of Tollhouse Road and Kaiser Pass Road which I posted pics from.  Blackrock Road is actually one of my favorite running spots since there is so little vehicle traffic on it.

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2016, 02:52:14 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on November 08, 2016, 02:31:04 PM

There is actually a cycling site that I'll link over when I get home that has a ton of great info on road grades and conditions for almost every notable road that I find handy.  One of the big bike races out here in the Central Valley is called The Climb to Kaiser which starts out at Clovis and uses the parts of Tollhouse Road and Kaiser Pass Road which I posted pics from.  Blackrock Road is actually one of my favorite running spots since there is so little vehicle traffic on it.

I'm not into racing, but I like to ride sponsored rides, and some charity events as well.  I rode the Lupus Wolfride near Columbia, IL (outside St. Louis) and for a guy that comes from probably the flattest part of Illinois, that ride kicked my butt in a good way.

Max Rockatansky

Some new stuff....

CA 33 north of Ventura....BTW this would have been US 399.

CA 33 Wheeler Gorge:

CA 33 Pine Mountain Summit:

Old Ridge Route (1915 Alignment and 1926-33 US 99)

This would be Libre Summit, the high point on the Old Ridge Route...about 4,200 feet above sea level:

Abandoned Ridge Route Alternate 1933-1969 US 99

Alex

Max,

Going forward, could you please separate your pictures to no more than ten per post?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alex on November 13, 2016, 10:33:05 AM
Max,

Going forward, could you please separate your pictures to no more than ten per post?

Sure, no problem.  Sorry, just went over my head about the 2016 stuff being excessive all at once like that.

Max Rockatansky

I'm sufficiently bored....so here is some older road stuff.

600 South, Salt Lake City, UT:

David County Causeway/Old UT 127 from Antelope Island:

Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel/US 13:

Unknown abandoned road just off of new FL 37 at the Brewster ghost town:

CO 150 overlooking the Great Sand Dunes:

Diablo Dam Road just off of WA 20:

Hurricane Ridge Road in Olympic National Park:

Max Rockatansky

Hood Canal Bridge/WA 104:

I-5 Seattle:

I-75 Mackinac Bridge:

I-70 San Rafael Swell, UT:

amroad17

Driving on I-70 through the San Rafael Swell is on my bucket list.  The closest I ever got was Grand Junction, CO.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: amroad17 on November 18, 2016, 10:26:29 PM
Driving on I-70 through the San Rafael Swell is on my bucket list.  The closest I ever got was Grand Junction, CO.

It's worth a go but I would recommend UT 24 since you get part of the Swell on it and UT 12.  I posted UT 12 a couple replies back on this thread, it's probably the most scenic highway in Utah...which says a lot considering there a ton of notables like I-70, UT 9, UT 261, and UT 9 just to name a few.  I'll have some others like UT 279 and UT 128 up here in the next day or so...completely awesome state for scenic driving.

amroad17

Where were San Rafael photos 1, 2, 4, and 5 taken from?  1 and 5 are incredible.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: amroad17 on November 18, 2016, 11:01:52 PM
Where were San Rafael photos 1, 2, 4, and 5 taken from?  1 and 5 are incredible.

There are overlooks that all have pull-offs, but the best views are in the east bound lanes.  1 and 5 are from this overlook:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.933526,-110.4722477,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sy9q4ABDWzxFnd6FHMnya-g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dy9q4ABDWzxFnd6FHMnya-g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D76.66637%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i3328!8i1664?hl=en

I walked down a little bit into the gorge to get that weird warped look on the panoramic.

Max Rockatansky

Let's see what's on the menu for tonight out of the oldies:

I-90 Spokane, WA:

Some Old US 10 in the Idaho Silver Valley along with elevated I-90 in Wallace, ID:

I-96/I-275 at the Eight Mile Road/M102 junction in Farmington Hills.  Got a lot of family history here, used to live right off this exit on Eight Mile and my Dad's old office is the white building in the background:

Unknown Abandoned Park Road just north of Cape Sable in Everglades National Park.  I thought this might be part of the Old Ingraham Highway but it isn't:

The Lanier Bridge, one of the last notable wooden deck bridges that I know of in Florida.  This would be a replacement of the older bridge which was pretty scary to drive over.  If I recall correctly this was part of the Cumpressco Railroad Grade through the ghost town of Ashley into the Green Swamp where Cumpressco was.  Basically Florida has just has many ghost towns and abandoned rail grades as any western state...fun fact if you are looking for something non-theme park related to see.  Don't go swimming in the Withlacoochee River...you'll regret stepping in that black water.

Max Rockatansky

And some more to close out the night...

M-185 on Mackinac Island, the only non-motorized vehicle highway in Michigan:

Market Street, Center Hill, FL:

Knife Edge Road...or what is left of it in Mesa Verde National Park, CO.   This would have been the original park road:

AsphaltPlanet

Max, I appreciate your enthusiasm for posting photos, but I don't think the point of this thread was to become your personal Flickr page.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 20, 2016, 05:28:51 AM
Max, I appreciate your enthusiasm for posting photos, but I don't think the point of this thread was to become your personal Flickr page.

Perhaps you're right, that being the case I opened this thread up for some of my older road photos:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19215.0

Given that it's my own thread it would give me some flexibility in regards to talking about context.  I couldn't find motivation to do anything like the full-on Road threads in the Mountain West and Pacific Southwest Boards for older stuff.  Right now I'm running into a malaise of boredom and too much time at home intermixing.  So that being the case, I hope nobody was offended by the volume of pictures here...certainly wasn't my intent.  Anyways, I'll be going through the older road stuff I have and maybe posting 10-20 a day on the thread listed above if anyone is interested. 

AsphaltPlanet

I'm by no means offended, nor do I want to stop you (or anyone else for that matter) for sharing their photos online.  As many others do, I too have a large photo collection, and often share them on AARoads and other forums as well.

I have enjoyed seeing some new life breathed into the 'best of' photo gallery, I just want to keep the spirit of the thread as one that everyone feels welcome to share their 'best of' photos periodically, instead of it becoming a single poster's thread.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 20, 2016, 10:58:51 AM
I'm by no means offended, nor do I want to stop you (or anyone else for that matter) for sharing their photos online.  As many others do, I too have a large photo collection, and often share them on AARoads and other forums as well.

I have enjoyed seeing some new life breathed into the 'best of' photo gallery, I just want to keep the spirit of the thread as one that everyone feels welcome to share their 'best of' photos periodically, instead of it becoming a single poster's thread.

Okay cool, I just wanted to throw it there that wasn't trying to take over the thread.  I kind of needed to find a new means of posting the older stuff anyways without doing a full on replication of the threads in the Pacific Southwest or Mountain West boards.  I just don't want to overburden an existing thread or make anyone else feel unwelcome, hence the new one with just my older stuff.  Alex kind of said something in the same vein about a page back also...which is why I wanted to kind of tread lightly.  Most of the stuff I go do is pretty obscure also, so it's probably just better to leave it in a new "Max's Roads" thread instead.  I figure 10-20 a day over is probably enough if I have the time.  Most of my recent stuff is pretty organized, cataloged, and cleaned up...but that sure ain't the case the further back I go prior to 2010.

formulanone

US 29 northeast of Brundidge, Alabama:

AsphaltPlanet

Alex

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 20, 2016, 11:11:40 AM
Okay cool, I just wanted to throw it there that wasn't trying to take over the thread.  I kind of needed to find a new means of posting the older stuff anyways without doing a full on replication of the threads in the Pacific Southwest or Mountain West boards.  I just don't want to overburden an existing thread or make anyone else feel unwelcome, hence the new one with just my older stuff.  Alex kind of said something in the same vein about a page back also...which is why I wanted to kind of tread lightly.  Most of the stuff I go do is pretty obscure also, so it's probably just better to leave it in a new "Max's Roads" thread instead.  I figure 10-20 a day over is probably enough if I have the time.  Most of my recent stuff is pretty organized, cataloged, and cleaned up...but that sure ain't the case the further back I go prior to 2010.

My post was not meant to criticize your content, but was more meant to aid in ease of browsing, especially for users browsing the forum on mobile devices. I am good with anyone posting as many photos as they want, just not in a crazy long post such as this. Figured that ten per was a good separator, and if it ups users post counts, so be it.  :coffee:

inkyatari

Doesn't look like Wallace has changed much since they filmed Dante's Peak there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alex on November 22, 2016, 12:03:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 20, 2016, 11:11:40 AM

My post was not meant to criticize your content, but was more meant to aid in ease of browsing, especially for users browsing the forum on mobile devices. I am good with anyone posting as many photos as they want, just not in a crazy long post such as this. Figured that ten per was a good separator, and if it ups users post counts, so be it.  :coffee:

No worries, I figured that it was a navigation thing from the get go.  It was a slog to scroll through some of those longer posts that had dozens of photos on them.  I'm actually going to do same thing in my regional threads since it's more pleasing to the eye. Things kind of worked out because a lot of the conversation has diverged into Florida talk...kind makes me wonder if I should have done a Max's Roads Florida thread. Lol.  Anyways didn't want to bog up the thread with my stuff. 

And dear god that's some intimate detail on the Loop 303.  I usually have to clean up windshield glare on my in car photos, that must have taken all day.

Quote from: inkyatari on November 22, 2016, 12:27:42 PM
Doesn't look like Wallace has changed much since they filmed Dante's Peak there.

Actually they were repaving a lot of the secondary streets in town.  Many of them were actually ground down to dirt, those photos were from May last year. 

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Max Rockatansky

Some fresh new stuff.

CA 41 south of Kettleman City with a probable older alignment right next to it:

CA 46 looking west to the bridges over Indian Creek:

Santa Rosa Creek Road (Old 1933-63 CA 41 and Old 1964-197? CA 46)

CA 41 north of Morro Bay...or old US 466 if you prefer:

Lewis Creek Road (old CA 25)

CA 198 at the CA 25 southern terminus:

County Route G15/Metz Road:

CA 146

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.