Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: OracleUsr on September 30, 2013, 06:18:27 PM
I still think Virginia's implementation of Clearview is really butt-ugly.  At least Delaware TRIED for MUTCD compliance.
Fixed.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

I disagree with Takumi's assessment.  I actually like how VDOT implemented Clearview on placename signs.

Pilgrimway

QuoteI guess DelDOT didn't get the memo prohibiting the use of state names as control destinations.  Although, IMHO, the use of such in this instance makes greater sense.

Granted, it could be argued that the use of New York could refer to NYC. 

"New Jersey" has been a control city for I295 as long as I can remember.  You'll also see "NJ/NY" as the control city for I295.

Takumi

Quote from: froggie on October 01, 2013, 12:51:15 AM
I disagree with Takumi's assessment.  I actually like how VDOT implemented Clearview on placename signs.
I'll admit it looks good on placename and distance signs, now that they're actually doing it mostly correctly. I still don't like when they use it for everything on overhead displays (even the exit tab) or on gore signs. It's the combination of the numbers and all caps that incenses me in those two cases.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alex

Quote from: Pilgrimway on October 01, 2013, 09:49:30 PM
QuoteI guess DelDOT didn't get the memo prohibiting the use of state names as control destinations.  Although, IMHO, the use of such in this instance makes greater sense.

"New Jersey" has been a control city for I295 as long as I can remember.  You'll also see "NJ/NY" as the control city for I295.

New Jersey was the original control city for I295 on Deldot maintained signs until the late 80s when NJ-NY was introduced. DRBA signs were shifted to NJ-NY later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on October 01, 2013, 10:23:20 PM
Quote from: Pilgrimway on October 01, 2013, 09:49:30 PM

New Jersey was the original control city for I295 on Deldot maintained signs until the late 80s when NJ-NY was introduced. DRBA signs were shifted to NJ-NY later.
Understood regarding the long-time usage of state names for control destinations on many highways (I-295 in DE included); but, many newer BGS replacements nationwide have eliminated such practices.

Examples of such phase-outs:

NH-Maine has been all but phased out in MA; yes, I'm aware of some leftover signage along I-90/Mass Pike still stating such (for its I-495 & I-95 exits) but from what I understand, those BGS' days are numbered.

Just west of Danbury to the NY State Line, all new BGS' for I-84 West now read Newburgh or Newburgh, NY rather than NY State.

Most newer BGS' for I-276 Eastbound in PA no longer read New Jersey; the newly erected gantry along I-476 north of the Mid-County interchange (Exit 20) being a recent exception.

Personally, I think the new policy is dumb and implementing such in some areas (I-276 in PA for example) doesn't always work; but that seems to be the trend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex4897

I guess DelDOT's removing the old small-green/yellow-light signals in Odessa along Rtes. 13/299. qq
(can't remember the name, are they eagle signals?)

http://deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=4907
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 02, 2013, 10:01:32 PM
I guess DelDOT's removing the old small-green/yellow-light signals in Odessa along Rtes. 13/299. qq

Boo! Though most of the old signals there were already replaced. Took a photo of the one remaining old 12x8x8 Eagle in July at least...

Alex4897

I know the ones scattered throughout Stanton are still there, although a bit needy looking.
I don't think they ever got upgraded to LEDs.

Ignore the apparent water on the lens or trigger happy google censorship:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.714819,-75.640435&spn=0.0019,0.004128&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.714918,-75.641011&panoid=Xx2xk6jRtNGH2XuRHEYXrQ&cbp=12,155.36,,0,3.37
👉😎👉

Alex

Or just ignore GSV all together and look at Ian's Flickr set of them  :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/sets/72157635006210646/

Alex4897

That works too.  :-D

Where are those u-turn signals that were in the bottom of the album?
👉😎👉

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 03, 2013, 07:16:09 AM
To the right of the photo in question, there's an EAST 92 reassurance sign just past the intersection; so it's along the stretch of DE 92 (Naaman's Road) between I-95 and US 202.

I find it interesting that his wallpaper banner for that page is a BGS gantry located in Peabody, Massachusetts.  I guess Flickr doesn't allow separate wallpaper banners for each page or it's too complicated to set up such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

That works too.  :-D

Delaware 92 (Naaman's Road) at Shipley Road. Ian posted them on here as well at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8471.msg238575#msg238575

Alex4897

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 03, 2013, 08:34:58 AM
To the right of the photo in question, there's an EAST 92 reassurance sign just past the intersection; so it's along the stretch of DE 92 (Naaman's Road) between I-95 and US 202.

Oh duh.
Didn't see that.

Anyway, I just drove the DE 1 flyover for the first time.  One minute of pure roadgeeking beauty.
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 03, 2013, 04:30:49 PM
Anyway, I just drove the DE 1 flyover for the first time.  One minute of pure roadgeeking beauty.

And yet somehow they built up the earth enough to prevent it from being an actual stack interchange.  :-/

Quote from: Alex on October 02, 2013, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on October 02, 2013, 10:01:32 PM

Boo! Though most of the old signals there were already replaced. Took a photo of the one remaining old 12x8x8 Eagle in July at least...

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on October 03, 2013, 08:02:32 PM
And yet somehow they built up the earth enough to prevent it from being an actual stack interchange.  :-/

That would've been more impressive, but they were probably pushing the budget anyway.  Although not particularly visible from the bridge, you can tell where the ground section is by the sound of the concrete.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

Drove the length of "DE 279" after a soccer game, there is no mention of the new state route at all.

I raged.

Anyway, DelDOT announced the opening of the last huge piece of the mall interchange.  The only things left to my knowledge are that seemingly redundant new ramp from A Road west to Rte. 1/7 north, repaving stuff, and the cattle chute removal.

http://deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=4916

editted to combine posts after off topic autocorrect tangeant
👉😎👉

Alex

Adding to the Newark sign changes, I received an email from Bob today confirming that DE 2 ends at DE 273 (East Main Street) now:

QuoteI went to downtown Newark and noticed that DE-2 now ends at 273 and all traces of Business 2 are gone. I didn't go down Elkton Road (excuse me, its now South Main Street) to see if DE-279 has been born but I imagine it is.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2013, 11:55:24 AM
Adding to the Newark sign changes, I received an email from Bob today confirming that DE 2 ends at DE 273 (East Main Street) now:

QuoteI went to downtown Newark and noticed that DE-2 now ends at 273 and all traces of Business 2 are gone. I didn't go down Elkton Road (excuse me, its now South Main Street) to see if DE-279 has been born but I imagine it is.

DE 279 is not signed yet, all changes concerning the removal of DE 2 are done except the changing of the sign bridge on Library Ave. referring to DE BUS 2.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

👉😎👉

Alex4897

👉😎👉

elsmere241

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 16, 2013, 12:35:35 PM
Today was a bit of a nightmare of a morning commute.  :crazy:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131016/NEWS15/310160051/Del-896-reopened-after-tractor-trailer-crash-cleared
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131016/NEWS15/310160010/Northbound-US-13-closed-at-St-Georges-Bridge

Two of my co-workers took the back way up (at least one via DE 9 over Reedy Point).  A third was about to turn east on US 40 from DE 7 northbound (as an alternative to DE 1) when he was rear-ended.

elsmere241

All I know is that I'm still processing ROW takings for it.

froggie

I don't see a problem with delaying that interchange.  Plenty of other locations along DE 1 that are higher priority for improvements.  Of those already within the pipeline:  new interchanges at Little Heaven and on the northeast side of Milford (near Royal Farms).  Could also see an interchange on DE 1 at DE 16, though I'm not finding anything on DelDOT's website.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.