News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

Alex

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 06, 2013, 01:20:45 PM
Relevant because of the potential connection between Churchmans Road and Delaware 1:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131106/BUSINESS12/311060073/Cavaliers-Country-Club-sell-half-land?gcheck=1

QuoteThe parcel — which is the course's western section and back nine holes — will require a variety of approvals from New Castle County and might need to be rezoned before any development takes place, a process that could take three to five years, Carucci said.

I am sure this process will be streamlined, because that area is in dire need of more retail and traffic!

Alex4897

Quote from: froggie on November 06, 2013, 11:37:44 AM
I don't see a problem with delaying that interchange.  Plenty of other locations along DE 1 that are higher priority for improvements.  Of those already within the pipeline:  new interchanges at Little Heaven and on the northeast side of Milford (near Royal Farms).  Could also see an interchange on DE 1 at DE 16, though I'm not finding anything on DelDOT's website.

DE 1 and DE 16 is actually mentioned in the latest Capital Transportation Program.  They mention building a diamond interchange.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 06, 2013, 10:49:15 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131106/NEWS02/311060039/Kent-lawmakers-press-Del-1-interchange-feed-sports-complex

QuoteFor the facility, Kent County donated 85 acres of farmland east of Del. 1 near the intersection of Milford Neck and Tub Mill Pond roads. The latest plans call for 12 synthetic turf fields; a grandstand seating 1,500; and 900 parking spaces.

Building an entire interchange for a sports complex with 900 parking spots?  As a comparison - the Christiana Mall has 6,000 parking spots!

elsmere241

Quote from: Alex on November 06, 2013, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on November 06, 2013, 01:20:45 PM
Relevant because of the potential connection between Churchmans Road and Delaware 1:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131106/BUSINESS12/311060073/Cavaliers-Country-Club-sell-half-land?gcheck=1

QuoteThe parcel — which is the course's western section and back nine holes — will require a variety of approvals from New Castle County and might need to be rezoned before any development takes place, a process that could take three to five years, Carucci said.

I am sure this process will be streamlined, because that area is in dire need of more retail and traffic!

The state does own the land south of Cavaliers and east of the Centre Boulevard big boxes.  They could easily tie a road in that would start south of H H Gregg and run east of it and Costco without having to condemn property.

froggie

QuoteBuilding an entire interchange for a sports complex with 900 parking spots?  As a comparison - the Christiana Mall has 6,000 parking spots!

To be fair, the interchange in question also replaces the at-grade intersection at the south end of the Frederica "bypass".  But as I noted earlier, there are several other projects that should be higher priority.

Alex4897

I think the Thompsonville one should be a priority considering the mess the light there makes during the summer season. 
Then the Little Heaven/Barrats Chapel Road interchanges should be next to finally open up Little Heaven for more development, the properties flanking the current road are all either taken by the state or run down.  If the interchange gets built then hopefully Little Heaven will be a safer and easier place to stop off for gas and whatnot.
👉😎👉

froggie

I'm more partial to Little Heaven...the signals there hang me up much moreso than the signal at Thompsonville.

KEVIN_224

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131114/NEWS15/311140057/I-95-Delaware-linked-East-Coast-divided-city-Wilmington

Pretty good read here. Just had that eerie feeling that President Kennedy dedicated the Turnpike only 9 days before his assassination. :(

Alex4897

They have a gallery of construction pictures from the '60s, half of the pictures didn't display for me for some reason but the ones that did were pretty cool.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BL&Dato=20131114&Kategori=PHOTOS01&Lopenr=311140107&Ref=PH/The-construction-95?odyssey=mod%7Cdefcon%7Cimg%7CHome&nclick_check=1
👉😎👉

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 15, 2013, 07:15:46 AM
They have a gallery of construction pictures from the '60s, half of the pictures didn't display for me for some reason but the ones that did were pretty cool.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BL&Dato=20131114&Kategori=PHOTOS01&Lopenr=311140107&Ref=PH/The-construction-95?odyssey=mod%7Cdefcon%7Cimg%7CHome&nclick_check=1

They seem to render for me ... but they do so s-l-o-w-l-y for some reason.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

KEVIN_224

The same thing happened here, too. Maybe it's because I haven't been on that Turnpike since 2004? Ha ha! :)

Alex4897

👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 03, 2013, 12:30:15 PM
Article on  the current status of the US 113 bypass:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131203/NEWS/312030050/Lawmakers-push-changes-DelDOT-s-US-113-bypass-plan

Anything worth reading there? I don't want to click to use up one of my few "free" articles for something that is just going to be more of the same (bypass downgraded, delayed, or likely cancelled IOW).

froggie

Relevant quotes from the article:

QuoteSussex County lawmakers on Monday pressed DelDOT to rework and step up efforts to develop a northeast bypass around Millsboro, while stressing continuing opposition to the agency's preferred alignment for a longer U.S. 113 replacement road.

QuoteDelDOT's draft environmental impact statement for the $839 million, 16.9-mile Millsboro-South portion of the U.S. 113 relief project would link the highway north of town to Delaware 24 on the east, then continue south to the Maryland line along a new alignment east of Frankford and Dagsboro.

QuoteSussex lawmakers have threatened to block money for the work, however, citing opposition among residents and communities south of Millsboro where support for widening the existing road is greater.

QuoteLegislators and some residents and businesses urged the state to consider Millsboro's congestion problem separately, and revise its preferred design in a way that pushes the bypass north, away from Millsboro Pond and residential areas. That alignment would cut partly across the protected Doe Run Nature Preserve, an area that state environmental officials say contains rare habitat and endangered species.

DelDOT Secretary Shailen Bhatt said federal agencies usually press highway departments to avoid environmentally sensitive habitats and wetlands whenever alternatives are available. Crossing a portion of the 180-acre Doe Run tract could, in addition, require approval from the full General Assembly.

To summarize the rest of the article:  pretty much everyone quoted agrees that something needs to be done...they just oppose the new alignment south of Millsboro and/or the routing of the Millsboro bypass over the pond.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on December 03, 2013, 12:43:50 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on December 03, 2013, 12:30:15 PM
Article on  the current status of the US 113 bypass:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131203/NEWS/312030050/Lawmakers-push-changes-DelDOT-s-US-113-bypass-plan

Anything worth reading there? I don't want to click to use up one of my few "free" articles for something that is just going to be more of the same (bypass downgraded, delayed, or likely cancelled IOW).

What froggie said.  Also you can get around the pay wall by having your browser delete delaware online's cookies upon closing the browser.
👉😎👉

elsmere241

Alex4897

DelDOT replaced some of the BGSs along DE 1 approaching the US 40 interchange.  They now include relevant control cities (Glasgow and Bear) as opposed to the unknown or distant places previously mentioned (State Road and Elkton).  Its also in Clearview.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 19, 2013, 12:59:37 PM
DelDOT replaced some of the BGSs along DE 1 approaching the US 40 interchange.  They now include relevant control cities (Glasgow and Bear) as opposed to the unknown or distant places previously mentioned (State Road and Elkton).  Its also in Clearview.

State Road doesn't even exist as far as I know. US 40's street name is Pulaski Hwy.

It takes a close eye or a good feel for distances, but the 1 Mile advanced BGS for US 40 on DE 1 South is set at 1.2 miles in advance...or 2 km; with metric being the original method for distance on this road (in which case the sign would've read 2 km ahead).  Surprisingly, this is one of the very few instances where this occurs along DE 1.  Even the 1/2 mile BGS is a true 1/2 mile from the interchange.

I would normally chalk this one up to a location issue where they couldn't set the sign at the perfect 1 mile spot, but the perfect 1 mile spot is an even better location than the spot where the sign is currently located (which is at the accel lane merge point where traffic enters from 273).

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 19, 2013, 01:54:43 PM
State Road doesn't even exist as far as I know. US 40's street name is Pulaski Hwy.
State Road is a place, not a road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex4897

Quote from: NE2 on December 19, 2013, 02:53:44 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 19, 2013, 01:54:43 PM
State Road is a place, not a road.
An obscure place in Bear's shadow at that
👉😎👉

NJRoadfan

Maybe they were referring to Dupont Parkway? Was it originally called State Road? There is an Old State Rd. near the intersection of US-40 and US-13 that looks like a bypassed section of roadway. It still makes no sense though since the previous exit was for US-13!

NE2

The name 'State Road' was in use for the location by 1889. It may have been named by the railroad for the place where it crossed Delaware's main north-south state road:
http://books.google.com/books?id=eBlLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA351&dq=%22state+road%22
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZudZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA107&dq=%22state+road%22

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Heading north on Friday, noticed that the ramps at the new DE 1/DE 30 interchange are now open on both sides.  The bridge over DE 1 at Wilkins Rd, however, is still under construction and looks like it'll still be a few months before it's completed.  Also of note, the guide signage for the northbound exit is completely empty...it's just a green blank.  My guess is due to the bridge still being built.  Southbound exit is signed as DE 30.

NE2

Is there a canonical route between the Bay Bridge and Dover? Signs in both directions route you via MD 302/MD 454/DE 8, which is about a mile longer than the Goog's recommended shortest, and includes a potentially dangerous left turn onto US 301, but is this the best route, or do locals have another preference?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.