News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2014, 09:29:51 AMPennsylvania: they invented '70 spec in 1965, and therefore there's only three that I know of.  a 76-276 pair in King of Prussia, and an 83 on an abandoned bridge in Harrisburg.
There's still a few late 80/early 90s-vintage state-named I-95 shields sprinked here and there in the Keystone State, most of which are not along I-95 itself.

Here's one near where I live that was erected during the early-90s.  Pardon the crummy GSV shot.

Another pale blue example of similar vintage.  Again, pardon the crummy GSV.

One state-named I-95 shield survivor from the 70s (w/custom PennDOT font) that's still along I-95 South.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bing101

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 07, 2014, 02:01:44 AM
Quote from: doofy103 on May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM
What states are the best or worst for finding old state-named interstate shields still in the wild?   Go...

State-named Interstate shields are quite common in California due to the fact that we're still using the 1957-spec shields.  There are a few neutered shields here and there but the vast majority are state-named.  IIRC, we're one of the few states that does not use the current Interstate shield spec in the SHSM (I believe Iowa is another state using the older spec).

Note: California also uses an oddly shaped "angular" Interstate shield.  They're limited to 1-2 digit routes and they primarily appear as reassurance markers.  Freeway Entrance assemblies still use the proper shield.

California use the 1957 edition for Entrances and Resassurance. Interstates are neutered in BGS control cities signs in California.

myosh_tino

Quote from: bing101 on May 23, 2014, 11:57:57 AM
California use the 1957 edition for Entrances and Resassurance. Interstates are neutered in BGS control cities signs in California.

To take it a step further, Caltrans has two different specs for each type of shield (Interstate, US and Calif state route).  The "Route Marker" spec is for independent-mount shields like those for reassurance and freeway entrance assemblies.  The "Route Shield" spec is for guide sign shields.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

corco

This I-15 shield Jake posted in another thread is still there as of an hour ago, so I take back my comment that Idaho has no state named shields left. I did take the time to drive both directions of the Pocatello loop tonight and a couple of the side streets (like Center) that could reasonably have an interstate shield and didn't see any others

hbelkins

Saw a current Michigan I-96 float across my FB feed earlier today.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

The lone I-85 Virginia shield (paired on a unisign with an I-95 Virginia shield) was still up as of last week. No date code anywhere on it. I don't know of any state-name Virginia shields still up on mainlines (the last state-name I-95s from the portion built in the early 1980s in Prince George and Sussex were all removed from the mainline by 2013) but there are still many on surface roads. I know of many I-95s, between Richmond, the one in Petersburg, some in Sussex County, and some newer installations south of Fredericksburg. I've also seen them for I-64, I-264, and I-195.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Look, I like state-named Interstate highway shields. 

But states have gotten rid of them (IMO) above all - to save money - and I realize it's just a few dollars in labor and materials per sign.

Consider that most (all?) states got rid of their U.S. state named-shields long ago.  Those are at least as nice as the state-named Interstate shields.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on May 25, 2014, 07:47:21 AM
The lone I-85 Virginia shield (paired on a unisign with an I-95 Virginia shield) was still up as of last week. No date code anywhere on it. I don't know of any state-name Virginia shields still up on mainlines (the last state-name I-95s from the portion built in the early 1980s in Prince George and Sussex were all removed from the mainline by 2013) but there are still many on surface roads. I know of many I-95s, between Richmond, the one in Petersburg, some in Sussex County, and some newer installations south of Fredericksburg. I've also seen them for I-64, I-264, and I-195.

There are definitely state-named I-66 shields remaining in the Marshall area, including one on 66 itself (as of Aug 2013 anyway - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=marshall,+va&hl=en&ll=38.857589,-77.861609&spn=0.030912,0.066047&sll=40.815108,-77.998209&sspn=0.059827,0.132093&hnear=Marshall,+Fauquier+County,+Virginia&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=38.857584,-77.861487&panoid=tiNBw-MfYiZRYSnawRxKhQ&cbp=12,347.17,,0,0)

I-581 has state-named shields though likely not on the mainline.

There is one I-495 state named shield on the beltway itself - inner loop between GW Pkwy and the American Legion Bridge.

Mapmikey

Scott5114

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 25, 2014, 11:21:13 AM
Look, I like state-named Interstate highway shields. 

But states have gotten rid of them (IMO) above all - to save money - and I realize it's just a few dollars in labor and materials per sign.

Consider that most (all?) states got rid of their U.S. state named-shields long ago.  Those are at least as nice as the state-named Interstate shields.

It has nothing to do with cost, as long as signs are being done at the state sign shop. It costs just as much to print one state name shield as it does one neutered shield.  The only cost difference would be for signs made in bulk by an interstate sign contractor. Besides, any economy of scale would be elimitanted by the differing route numbers.
Rather, removing the state name frees up space for larger digits. The state name was a political maneuver to get people in areas with strong state's rights sentiments to accept the US, and later Interstate, systems. Arguably this need no longer exists.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

Quote from: corco on May 24, 2014, 12:10:53 AM
This I-15 shield Jake posted in another thread is still there as of an hour ago, so I take back my comment that Idaho has no state named shields left. I did take the time to drive both directions of the Pocatello loop tonight and a couple of the side streets (like Center) that could reasonably have an interstate shield and didn't see any others

Thats a California  style entrance shield. But I noticed city made signs for interstates tend to neuter state name in some parts of California due to city specs and I don't think counties and cities enforce MUTCD guidelines that caltrans and the state dots do.

Mergingtraffic

Is there a site or anything that has a history and/or images of Interstate Shield Specs?  I'd like to compare side to side. 

The oldest shield in the state.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

agentsteel53

Quote from: doofy103 on May 27, 2014, 10:58:52 PM

I think there's a Conn 138 that's older.  barely.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 29, 2014, 02:47:24 PM

I think there's a Conn 138 that's older.  barely.

That doesnt exist any longer to my knowledge...my last road trip up to New England in 2011 before all my illnesses clobbered me, i seem to recall that 138 was gone.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2014, 09:29:51 AM
Wisconsin: one 90 left on 53 southbound.
An I-94 state-named shield still remains.  It's faded and doesn't follow the current WI standard "everything on black" so it's remnants.  Willow Glen Road off the highway so not state maintained. (Dec 2012)  It's certainly not a '57 spec.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman

Is there a site or anything that has a history and/or images of Interstate Shield Specs?  I'd like to compare side to side. 

That picture could also be a good nominee for the next "Not My Job" contest (brand new shiny 'TO" marker atop ancient faded route shield and arrow).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DevalDragon

Shouldn't the "TO" sign be blue?

[quote link=topic=12304.msg305873#msg305873 date=1402684417]
That picture could also be a good nominee for the next "Not My Job" contest (brand new shiny 'TO" marker atop ancient faded route shield and arrow).
[/quote]

RoadWarrior56

Very early interstate trailblazer signs often used white arrow signs instead of blue.  I remember most of them as white when I was a kid, which would had been the 1960's.  I don't think blue became mandatory for the arrow signs until at least the late 1960's.  This sign is obviously very old.

RoadWarrior56

I stand corrected, the arrow sign is actually blue in the picture, not white, but the TO sign is white.  However, I do remember seeing white arrow signs with interstate shields.

Alex

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on June 23, 2014, 07:36:33 PM
Very early interstate trailblazer signs often used white arrow signs instead of blue.  I remember most of them as white when I was a kid, which would had been the 1960's.  I don't think blue became mandatory for the arrow signs until at least the late 1960's.  This sign is obviously very old.

An original I-10 assembly (date stamped from 1972) was one such assembly:

One still standing from the 1960s still has the white TO banner (there are four in total in Wilmington all with white TO banners):

thenetwork

Quote from: countysigns on May 16, 2014, 06:37:29 PM
Quote from: Alex on May 07, 2014, 07:11:18 AM
The worst for finding state named shields in the wild...Ohio (just a handful remain statewide, one in Columbus a few in Lockland). <snip>

This is probably the only one around the Toledo area, as far as I know.  Trying to remember if it survived the new signage being put up in the area.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.669199,-83.567378,3a,20.4y,219.8h,106.18t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXbkNHVgYalUyOPYNeqBLNA!2e0

Did they finally yank that old I-280 shield coming off the turnpike @ Exit 71?

JMoses24

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2014, 09:29:51 AM
Kentucky: one left in Covington.  ask Tim where it bips.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's at Fourth and Philadelphia streets in downtown Covington. I think it's in the first photo on this page of Tim's site (taken in 2010, and I believe the sign is still there). Assuming that's it, I'll go check in the next few days whether it is still there.

http://www.angelfire.com/yt2/lastword/roadpics/moremorecov10.html

countysigns

Quote from: thenetwork on June 23, 2014, 11:18:16 PM
According to Street View, it looks like it is toast.  Have to check it out next time I get to that part of Wood County.

Mergingtraffic

I think this I-91 shield is 1950s because the shield is wider and narrower top to bottom.

I think this I-91 shield is 1950s because the shield is wider and narrower top to bottom.

unlike this one, which the shape is more "normal" and current.

BTW:

I think CT used white "TO"s in the 1960s to 1970s.  Of course that's only a guess.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

What remains in New York is concentrated in certain parts of the state. There are certainly more, but here's what I have seen personally:

I-81: A few on the mainline north of Syracuse. Likely more.

I-87: Do not know of any on the mainline. There are quite a few on local roads surrounding the interstate. Many near Albany, probably a few in The Bronx.

I-88: Seen a few along the route, probably quite a few more

I-90: One on US 20 in Silver Creek at Exit 58. Were quite a few in Albany a while ago, many of which are likely gone due to Exit 2 reconstruction.

I-95: Were quite a few

As for the 3dis:

I-490 had some on the mainline. I-390 and 490 have quite a few off the road. There is/was an I-787 shield on the Collar City Bridge in Troy, along with a few in Albany.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

agentsteel53

Quote from: countysigns on June 26, 2014, 07:28:26 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 23, 2014, 11:18:16 PM
According to Street View, it looks like it is toast.  Have to check it out next time I get to that part of Wood County.

I could not find it in 2006.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.