News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stadium and team naming

Started by Laura, August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: bdmoss88 on September 30, 2014, 11:36:17 AM
Is it weird that two different franchises called the Browns moved to Baltimore and neither kept the Browns name? The Cleveland Browns became the Ravens and the St. Louis Browns became the Orioles. Both birds.
The Ravens' name is a tribute to Edgar Allen Poe. I don't know if there is any such connection with the Orioles, but I would be surprised if there is.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

1995hoo

Quote from: jbnv on September 30, 2014, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: bdmoss88 on September 30, 2014, 11:36:17 AM
Is it weird that two different franchises called the Browns moved to Baltimore and neither kept the Browns name? The Cleveland Browns became the Ravens and the St. Louis Browns became the Orioles. Both birds.
The Ravens' name is a tribute to Edgar Allen Poe. I don't know if there is any such connection with the Orioles, but I would be surprised if there is.

The Baltimore oriole is the state bird and the team was named to reflect that. Also, one of the original eight American League teams was named "Baltimore Orioles." They moved to New York and later took the name "Yankees." That prior use also factored into the name chosen when the St. Louis Browns relocated.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

theline

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 30, 2014, 12:51:48 PM
It's weirder that the Cleveland Browns were named after their first head coach.  Then again, "New York Stengels" would have been a much cooler name than "Mets."

Not quite accurate:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns
QuoteThe name of the team was at first left up to Paul Brown, who rejected calls for it to be christened the Browns. The franchise then held a naming contest to publicize the team, promising a $1,000 war bond to the winner. In June 1945, a committee selected "Panthers" as the new team's name. McBride, however, changed it to the Browns two months later, the result of another naming contest that suggested Browns, not after Paul Brown himself, but as a shortened version of Brown Bombers, a reference to the nickname of boxer Joe Louis. Some sources say McBride was asked for thousands of dollars in compensation from a businessman who owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, an earlier failed football team.

Now, the whole thing may have been a McBride effort to skirt Paul Brown's objection to naming the team after him, but no one knows for sure.

Owner Art Modell intended to take the Browns name and records with him to Baltimore, but an uproar from Cleveland (and all right-thinking sports fans, IMHO) led to a compromise which left the nickname and records behind. Thus, the Ravens were born.

hbelkins

The great thing about the Browns moving to Baltimore, and the subsequent rebirth of the Browns, is that it gives us Bengals fans two sets of Cleveland Browns to hate.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

Do not insult the the Browns by calling those impostors in Baltimore by that good name! :pan:

spooky

Quote from: theline on October 10, 2014, 01:10:21 PM
Do not insult the the Browns by calling those impostors in Baltimore by that good name! :pan:

I think it's the other way around. The Purple Browns are 2-time Super Bowl champions.

theline

2 Super Bowls? Just a temporary aberration.  :biggrin:

Bruce

The Seattle Sounders were named for the Puget Sound. The local commuter rail service is also named the Sounder and offers special matchday trains to King Street Station for Sounders weekend games. So you can take the Sounder to the Sounders.

Just thought that was neat.

bugo

Quote from: formulanone on September 05, 2014, 08:44:26 PM
Quote from: bugo on September 05, 2014, 06:39:46 PM
Another thing that pisses me off is when rich benefactors basically pay to put their names on the stadium. Bud Walton Arena is a good example. Razorback Stadium is another. The guy Razorback Stadium is named after had nothing to do with the Razorbacks (there is a building at TU in Tulsa named after him too.)

University of Florida's stadium is named for Ben Hill Griffin; a wealthy benefactor from the state's citrus and cattle industry in Central Florida. He was neither a student nor  an athlete at UF. He donated a staggering sum to the university, from what I've heard.

In other words, he paid to have his name applied to the stadium. That is disgusting, repugnant, and morally reprehensible.

Besides, nobody calls it by that name anyway. It is "The Swamp".

texaskdog

Quote from: Laura on August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
[Split from https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13334.0 -S.]
The Ravens stadium was named PSI.net Stadium when it first opened in 1998, and the company went out of business with the dot com bust. For a while it didn't have a name until M&T Bank purchased naming rights.

I hate corporate names for stadiums. I mean, I understand the value of them for money making purposes, but I find them incredibly tacky because it's like slapping advertising on a public good.

(I know, professional sports teams are businesses and not public goods, but they become part of a city like a public good, which is why it's tragic to a city when they move. Honestly, teams shouldn't be allowed to move out of a metropolitan area at all - they should be completely disbanded first and if the owner wants to make a whole new team elsewhere they can. You can clearly tell I'm from Baltimore - we fiercely love our Ravens but the Colts and their move still sting deep down 30 years later - enough said.)

iPhone

I know.  Unless they build the stadium they shouldn't name the stadium. 

texaskdog

Quote from: spooky on October 10, 2014, 01:24:10 PM

I think it's the other way around. The Purple Browns are 2-time Super Bowl champions.

Best way to win in Cleveland?  Move!  Does anyone outside of Cleveland acknowledge the ridiculous gap?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: texaskdog on October 13, 2014, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: spooky on October 10, 2014, 01:24:10 PM

Best way to win in Cleveland?  Move!  Does anyone outside of Cleveland acknowledge the ridiculous gap?

In fairness, though the Rams beat the Browns for the championship in '51, they also won in '45, their last season in Cleveland.  The Barons, well, dissolved into another team that also was unsuccessful.  Leaving Cleveland only begat a huge improvement for the Ravens. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: texaskdog on October 13, 2014, 08:17:03 AM
Quote from: Laura on August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
[Split from https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13334.0 -S.]
The Ravens stadium was named PSI.net Stadium when it first opened in 1998, and the company went out of business with the dot com bust. For a while it didn't have a name until M&T Bank purchased naming rights.

I hate corporate names for stadiums. I mean, I understand the value of them for money making purposes, but I find them incredibly tacky because it's like slapping advertising on a public good.

(I know, professional sports teams are businesses and not public goods, but they become part of a city like a public good, which is why it's tragic to a city when they move. Honestly, teams shouldn't be allowed to move out of a metropolitan area at all - they should be completely disbanded first and if the owner wants to make a whole new team elsewhere they can. You can clearly tell I'm from Baltimore - we fiercely love our Ravens but the Colts and their move still sting deep down 30 years later - enough said.)

iPhone

I know.  Unless they build the stadium they shouldn't name the stadium.

A university will put a name on any building if the donor is willing to put up the bucks.  Stadiums shouldn't be any different.  If you think universities shouldn't take the money, I'll take you on a walk through some public university campuses around here and we can talk about what repairs should wait.

US71

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 10:42:37 AM

A university will put a name on any building if the donor is willing to put up the bucks.  Stadiums shouldn't be any different.  If you think universities shouldn't take the money, I'll take you on a walk through some public university campuses around here and we can talk about what repairs should wait.

If it's not athletic related, it gets ignored for a long time, because a bigger football stadium with an LED scoreboard you can see for 5 miles is always more important than , say, a better engineering dept.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

myosh_tino

Quote from: Bruce on October 12, 2014, 06:12:27 PM
The Seattle Sounders were named for the Puget Sound. The local commuter rail service is also named the Sounder and offers special matchday trains to King Street Station for Sounders weekend games. So you can take the Sounder to the Sounders.

Just thought that was neat.

If the San Jose Earthquakes were called the Tornadoes, we could then combine the two pro sports teams in San Jose to get the Sharknadoes...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Laura

Quote from: US71 on October 13, 2014, 01:49:52 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 10:42:37 AM

If it's not athletic related, it gets ignored for a long time, because a bigger football stadium with an LED scoreboard you can see for 5 miles is always more important than , say, a better engineering dept.

The difference there, though, is that there aren't sponsorship deals on the university buildings. Even if a rich benefactor donates the largest sum of money to get their name on the building, that name stays on the building until there is a major renovation or it gets torn down.

My undergrad alma mater, Lynchburg College, just finished a major renovation and extension to the student center. The former name of the building was the Burton Student Center, which it has been named since it opened in 1968. The new name is Drysdale Student Center, with a wing being the Percy Burton Dining Hall and the Gertrude Burton Dining Room. Both the Burtons and Drysdales are/were on the board of trustees. and donated large sums of money to get the buildings built. That said, they aren't just randomly going to change the name of the building to the next highest bidder - if no further major renovations are done, then those names will stay for decades to come.

I currently attend a public university for graduate school (Morgan State University), and the names of buildings vary between being named after the governors that pushed for them to be built, benefactors, famous college leaders, and historically famous African-Americans. Our newest building does not have a person's name in the name - it is simply the Center of the Built Environment and Infrastructure Studies, or CBEIS (pronounced like C-BIS).

The Baltimore Arena just got a new sponsorship deal and a new name - the Royal Farms Arena. They paid 1.25 million to secure the name for 5 years (Nov 1 2014 - Oct 31 2019). Prior to that, it was the 1st Mariner Arena from 2002-2012 (they paid $750,000 for the naming rights). From its opening in 1962 to 1986, it was the Baltimore Civic Center and then later from 1986-2002 the Baltimore Arena. During 2013-2014 the name reverted back to the Baltimore Arena.

So in a (moreorless) 50 year period, the Burton Student Center at Lynchburg College went through one change change while the arena in Baltimore went through four.

Pete from Boston

An arena 52 years old?  I thought they had to be replaced every 30 years or else!

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 16, 2014, 08:41:21 AM
An arena 52 years old?  I thought they had to be replaced every 30 years or else!

Those are only the ones where NBA or NHL teams play.  Iconic arena with too few luxury suites? Send in the wrecking ball!

mgk920

Aside from obvious example of the Green Bay Packers, although rare in North America, sponsor naming of sports teams is pretty common in some countries overseas.  IMHO, the most glaring examples of this are in the Bundesliga and especially in Japanese major league baseball.

Mike

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mgk920 on October 16, 2014, 02:16:53 PM
Aside from obvious example of the Green Bay Packers, although rare in North America, sponsor naming of sports teams is pretty common in some countries overseas.  IMHO, the most glaring examples of this are in the Bundesliga and especially in Japanese major league baseball.

Mike

Rare now, not always.  Early NFL teams were often sponsored by local companies.

Also, let's not forget Red Bull New York and Chivas USA (I don't know where the latter plays–USA?–and would probably look it up if I cared).

Road Hog

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 16, 2014, 02:42:54 PM

Mike

Also, let's not forget Red Bull New York and Chivas USA (I don't know where the latter plays–USA?–and would probably look it up if I cared).

Chivas USA was branded in hopes of drawing Latino fans in the Los Angeles area who are fans of the Mexican club Chivas de Guadalajara. It didn't work; the team will fold at the end of the year.

There's too much of that in MLS – trying to emulate foreign leagues by patterning your team name after a big international club. Like Real Salt Lake, Sporting KC and the soon-to-come New York City FC, which I can understand because of its affiliation with Manchester City.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Road Hog on October 16, 2014, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 16, 2014, 02:42:54 PM

Mike

Chivas USA was branded in hopes of drawing Latino fans in the Los Angeles area who are fans of the Mexican club Chivas de Guadalajara. It didn't work; the team will fold at the end of the year.

There's too much of that in MLS – trying to emulate foreign leagues by patterning your team name after a big international club. Like Real Salt Lake, Sporting KC and the soon-to-come New York City FC, which I can understand because of its affiliation with Manchester City.

DC United is silly; Real Salt Lake is just dumb.

I'm disappointed the Cosmos didn't get the next MLS slot in New York. Now that's a name we can get behind as our own, with real history in it (even if that history was built by imported foreign players).

amroad17

Now that was a team--the New York Cosmos.  There was an ESPN 30 for 30 movie about them.

Wasn't the Carrier Dome in Syracuse one of the first stadiums to be named after a corporation that purchased naming rights?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Pete from Boston

Don't forget Schaefer Stadium.

Laura

Quote from: spooky on October 16, 2014, 09:02:31 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 16, 2014, 08:41:21 AM

Those are only the ones where NBA or NHL teams play.  Iconic arena with too few luxury suites? Send in the wrecking ball!

Yeah. There are plans to replace the arena here and have been for a while. It just hasn't happened yet.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.