News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most Beautiful Bridge

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: papaT10932 on May 05, 2011, 09:28:32 AM
It speaks to American strength and symbolizes an era when this country embraced its power and potential.

The Great Depression? It opened in 1931. There was supposed to be concrete and granite paneling on the towers covering the exposed trusses but it was left off to save money.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

papaT10932

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 15, 2011, 10:09:12 PM

The Great Depression? It opened in 1931. There was supposed to be concrete and granite paneling on the towers covering the exposed trusses but it was left off to save money.

Yes, the Great Depression. That's when Americans figured out that they had to get their hands dirty and work. Out of the Great Depression was born the most prosperous generation of Americans in history. Not like today where we think they way to save the economy is to go shop at WalMart.

nexus73

Americans had a lot more than their hands dirty when the Dust Bowl hit and as for working, the capitalist system had died off due to a lack of what else, capital!  There were no jobs to be had to speak of in those days.  Go watch "The Grapes Of Wrath" to see what a struggle those times were.  This nation was extremely lucky to not wind up becoming Fascist or Communist in those dark days.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SteveG1988

The bayonne bridge was supposed to have non structural granite as well. But it was left off.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Duke87

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 18, 2011, 09:54:37 AM
The bayonne bridge was supposed to have non structural granite as well. But it was left off.

That was the George Washington Bridge.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SteveG1988

It was actually both, same person
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

berberry

I think the Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge, while it's not the most beautiful bridge ever, certainly deserves a mention here.  It crosses TN Highway 96 a short distance south of Nashville.  It's quite impressive to see, although you might miss it if you don't know it's there.  From the roadway it doesn't look so spectacular, except for the view.  If you have any plans to drive that section of the parkway, be sure to stop at the overlook.

xcellntbuy

berberry

Quote from: xcellntbuy on June 11, 2011, 10:09:45 PM
Terrific photos! :clap:

Thanks, but I didn't take them.  Just copied them from the internet.

I was unaware of / unprepared for this bridge when I saw it.  I didn't have a camera with me, and it was only because I had time to kill that I stopped at the overlook, thinking that there must be something worth seeing if they built one just for a bridge.  Even after I saw it, I didn't know much about it until I reached Tupelo, where I stopped at the Visitor's Center and asked questions.

Dr Frankenstein

Wow. That is one beautiful bridge.

kurumi

Quote from: papaT10932 on May 05, 2011, 09:28:32 AM
It sounds a little cliche to choose such a famous bridge, but I do consider to George Washington to be the most beautiful. It's so graceful yet powerful. It speaks to American strength and symbolizes an era when this country embraced its power and potential.

William Schuman composed a piece for symphonic band titled "George Washington Bridge". Our band played it in high school. Here's the Naval Academy Concert Band performing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1f4cG808PY

The sheet music included the following "composer note" from Schuman:

"There are few days in the year when I do not see the George Washington Bridge. I pass it on my way to work as I drive along the Henry Hudson Parkway on the New York shore. Ever since my student days when I watched the progress of its construction, this bridge has had for me an almost human personality, and this personality is astonishingly varied, assuming different moods depending on the time of day or night, the weather, the traffic and, of course, my own mood as I pass by.

"I have walked across it late at night when it was shrouded in fog, and during the brilliant sunshine hours of midday. I have driven over it countless times and passed under it on boats. Coming to New York City by air, sometimes I have been lucky enough to fly right over it. It is difficult to imagine a more gracious welcome or dramatic entry to the great metropolis."
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Duke87

And then there's the Sesame Street song. Which, interestingly, doesn't seem to be on YouTube.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

texaskdog

Gotta love Louisiana Bridges.  If I can figure out how to attach a picture I will. 

berberry

Quote from: texaskdog on July 01, 2011, 02:14:46 PM
Gotta love Louisiana Bridges.  If I can figure out how to attach a picture I will. 

Assuming your pics are in jpeg format, it's easy.  Open a free account at an image-hosting website like photobucket.com.  Use the upload link to do just that with your pics.  Once the image is online, resting your cursor on it will bring up a list of different types of links you can use to post the image to a website, blog, email, etc.  In the case of this forum, you'd want the link labelled "IMG Code".  Paste that link into your message, then click "Preview".  You should see your message including the picture(s).

And yes, I agree with you, Louisiana does have some beautiful bridges.  Hope to see some in your pics.

geoffNOLA

Crescent City Connection (at night)

CCC/GNO Bridge Panoramic by Eric Paul, on Flickr
Your local emo roadgeek

texaskdog

Great pic there!  If you can get past the fact that 90 is non-essential and BR-90 is a major road :)

Desert Man

I can name 3 of 'em off my head in Cal. hopefully the state won't split apart unless they can maintain its' services like roads.
1. San Pablo Bay bridge (I-580) in the northern section of the San Francisco Bay, connects Contra Costa (Richmond/Vallejo) and Marin counties together (San Rafael/Novato).
2. Terminal Island Bridge (Cal. route 47) connects the island (ports of L.A. and Long Beach) with I-110 (Harbor freeway) of San Pedro.
and 3. San Diego Bay Bridge (Cal. route 75) from Coronado peninsula to the interchange with I-5, under the bridge is an urban arts space known as Chicano Park. The view of the bay bridge from downtown San Diego is nice to see in the late afternoon.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Rover_0

Not to be a homer here, but I think that the Glen Canyon Bridge deserves mention:

Maybe not because of the bridge itself, but rather because of the surrounding scenery, and also what the engineering feat meant in connecting the two sides of the canyon to this then- (and still-) remote part of the country.

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

texaskdog

Quote from: Rover_0 on July 11, 2011, 02:12:27 PM
Not to be a homer here, but I think that the Glen Canyon Bridge deserves mention:

Maybe not because of the bridge itself, but rather because of the surrounding scenery, and also what the engineering feat meant in connecting the two sides of the canyon to this then- (and still-) remote part of the country.

THANK YOU!  I will be there on August 16th!

Chicagosuburban

I like the bridges of downtown Pittsburgh a lot.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

BamaZeus

Quote from: Duke87 on June 13, 2011, 08:20:45 PM
And then there's the Sesame Street song. Which, interestingly, doesn't seem to be on YouTube.

Hehe.  I've been looking for it for years myself.  It's one of those songs that's been stuck in my head for years, yet I haven't heard it for real since it was on Sesame Street ~30 years ago.

kkt

The Golden Gate, of course.

Also the Russian Gulch bridge on California SR-1 http://bridgehunter.com/ca/mendocino/100151/

and how about the Selah Creek Bridge on I-82 in Washington http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3801007

Brandon

Quincy's Bayview Bridge isn't too bad, IMHO.

But I do like the metal monsters.

Savanna-Sabula Bridge

Beardstown Bridge

Spring Valley Bridge
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Chicagosuburban

I like the Lake Freeway bridge in Milwaukee.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.