News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dublin meet October 13

Started by Alps, September 02, 2018, 03:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Still putting together details but the meet is definitely happening.

74/171FAN

I feel dumb for asking this, but do you mean Dublin, PA? 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

I will just let you feel dumb then. Dublin. THE Dublin.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2018, 10:23:59 AM
I will just let you feel dumb then. Dublin. THE Dublin.
Dublin, PA it is then!

I haven't driven Route 313 in awhile, and I need to drive that lousy compromise of a 2 lane parkway for 202 not far away.

hbelkins

Dublin, Va.? Is it possible to work a Smart Road tour into that?  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

No way! He is talking about Dublin, GA. Old 80, Fall Line Hwy, US 319's southern terminus.

I'm sure this is what he is talking about.  :pan:  It can't possibly be the one in Ireland...too far to drive.  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

None of you are invited anymore. :angry:

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2018, 05:32:38 PM
None of you are invited anymore. :angry:
Why So Serious?

On a serious note: I'm still paying off a past trip.  Can't really afford to jump the pond right now.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadsguy

I'd love to go, but I can't afford to go to Scotland. Yes I know it's in Ireland, I'm joking.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jpi

This is more then likely Dublin Ireland and no Steph and I definently can't make it, I have a toy show that weekend in the Chattanooga area, sorry.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

I'm not expecting anyone to cross the ocean with me, FWIW, just trying to pick up anyone who reads the forum and happens to be European...

froggie

Only two of those are regulars, from what I've observed...

Dougtone

You could always go log onto the SABRE website and see if anyone is interested in an away day, which is what they call road meets on that site.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2018, 04:44:06 PM
Sure it's not Dublin, Ohio?

Could be a cheap-ass host and have lunch at the first Wendy's location just for the novelty. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadrunner75

Quote from: froggie on September 03, 2018, 08:56:04 AM
Only two of those are regulars, from what I've observed...
It's a decade and a half too late for me to be a regular.  Provide a meet in or near NJ on a weekend, and I might provide a hyperactive 9 year old to run off with your "Send Help" sign.

I'm disappointed I can't make the 95/Turnpike meet which is on a weekday.  We have some pretty nice new upgraded interchanges on the Parkway down here (89-91) and even a "whodunnit" of sorts with flooding at the expanded 91 (mini-meet idea if there's interest).

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on September 03, 2018, 09:04:59 AM
You could always go log onto the SABRE website and see if anyone is interested in an away day, which is what they call road meets on that site.
That I have done.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2018, 03:37:27 AM
the meet is definitely happening.

You need attendees for it to be a meet. Or has someone already committed to going.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jon daly

I'd be interested in learning about the Irish road system, but I can't make it. Any links would be appreciated.

cl94

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 03, 2018, 12:09:16 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2018, 04:44:06 PM
Sure it's not Dublin, Ohio?

Could be a cheap-ass host and have lunch at the first Wendy's location just for the novelty. :D

The first Wendy's location WAS on US 40/SR 16 in downtown Columbus. Closed ~10 years ago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Truvelo

Quote from: Duke87 on September 04, 2018, 12:30:21 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2018, 03:37:27 AM
the meet is definitely happening.

You need attendees for it to be a meet. Or has someone already committed to going.

I've already booked my flight. It's just an hour away from here :colorful:

It would be nice to meet some more members from this forum. Unfortunately all the times I've flown to the US it's never been convenient to attend any of the meets over there.
Speed limits limit life

Duke87

Quote from: Truvelo on September 04, 2018, 03:59:58 PM
It would be nice to meet some more members from this forum. Unfortunately all the times I've flown to the US it's never been convenient to attend any of the meets over there.

So then do what Alps is doing and schedule your own meet for when and where you'll be over here.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

akotchi

This meet is about 8 months too early for me . . . will be in Ireland next April.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

I met Truvelo at the airport and we headed out for the morning together. My first stop was Conolly's Folly. On the way to Knocksink Bridge I inadvertently left out a right turn in my directions and ended up going clear the other way off the M50 toward the ocean. That accidentally took us past a few old signs in Cornelscourt at N11 and heading back toward M50. We sogged through the football pitches out under the Knocksink, then had our meet lunch in downtown Enniskerry (which has a cast iron directional sign still!). The meet then continued back up into downtown Dublin to poke around the various bridges and get a little lost. (There was no one to scout this meet for me. Too bad.) We parted ways on the west side of the city by the R111 bridge over the River Liffey in Islandbridge. It was great to meet one of our rare international members!

cjk374

Congratulations on what sounds like a fun time.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.