Concrete surface roads in states where they are rare

Started by index, September 26, 2018, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: US 89 on August 19, 2021, 11:13:41 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 13, 2021, 08:08:24 PM
There is at least two concrete stretches of CO-13 between Rifle and the Wyoming line -- both were built within the last 2-3 years as part of a total reconstruction and shoulder widening.

I remember noticing long stretches of concrete roadway on US 287 through eastern Colorado. I assumed that was due to the fairly heavy truck traffic on that corridor.

The only parts of I-70 west of the divide in Colorado that are concrete are about a newer 5-mile stretch between Mack and Loma,  and an old 10-mile stretch between West Rifle and Silt ‐‐ the diamond grading they did on it over 10 years ago to extend it's life is hardly noticeable now.

Seemed like most if not all of I-70 East of the Denver Metro area was concrete, but that's a 5-year fuzzy memory.

The only other concrete highways I'm aware of in Western Colorado are the US highways (160/491/550) within Durango's and Cortez's city limits and a stretch of US 6/50 on West side of Grand Junction.

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on August 20, 2021, 07:04:17 PM
Seemed like most if not all of I-70 East of the Denver Metro area was concrete, but that's a 5-year fuzzy memory.

You know what, you're right. I remember noticing that when I drove from Denver to Kansas City on 70 last week.

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

wriddle082

Tennessee rarely uses concrete as the main driving surface, but has been using it at intersections with heavy truck traffic (to prevent surface buckling) and most freeway on- and off-ramps are concrete, or at least start life as concrete.  As far as mainline freeways are concerned, I can think of the following concrete stretches:

I-40 in Memphis roughly between Exits 2A and 5 has original concrete from the late 70's.

I-40 eastbound lanes only east of Jackson, past the six lane stretch east of Exit 87 up to just past the Henderson County line.

I-65 north of Nashville from the northern I-24 split to Exit 96.  Anywhere from 6 to 14 lanes of concrete along that 8 mile stretch.

I-24 has a brief concrete section in Downtown Chattanooga near US 27, and is also concrete east of the crest of Missionary Ridge almost to its end at I-75.

Most of I-75 is concrete from north of I-24 all the way to Exit 11 at Ooltewah.

And this is not a full freeway, but a few miles of Bypass US 45 in Jackson, south of I-40, is original concrete possibly from the 60's.

That's about all that I can think of.

Road Hog

TxDOT hardly ever uses concrete for non-divided highways in rural areas. But one exception is US 82 in Bowie County, between DeKalb and the I-30 junction near New Boston. This road was reconstructed in the 2015-16 time frame and is concrete with passing lanes.

Of course, concrete is widely used by TxDOT in controlled-access roads and urban divided arterials.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.