10,000 Modern Roundabouts in America

Started by tradephoric, December 28, 2021, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

sernum

Molandfreak

Quote from: sernum on December 28, 2021, 04:26:32 PM
Do all states have at least one?
Yes. There were seven states without one in 2007, but all of them have built some since then. https://www.siouxfalls.org/public-works/engineering/roundabouts/faqs
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Road Hog

One neigboring city put in a roundabout – and stuck 4 stop signs on it, thereby defeating the purpose of a roundabout.

skluth

Quote from: Road Hog on December 29, 2021, 10:50:02 AM
One neigboring city put in a roundabout – and stuck 4 stop signs on it, thereby defeating the purpose of a roundabout.
:ded: :banghead:

HighwayStar

There are those who travel, and those who travel well

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

Bruce

We need so many more. All-way stops are poorly designed and lead to all sorts of dumb conflicts.

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on December 30, 2021, 06:13:51 AM
We need so many more. All-way stops are poorly designed and lead to all sorts of dumb conflicts.
I agree. I've been happy where I've seen them installed.

kalvado

Quote from: Bruce on December 30, 2021, 06:13:51 AM
We need better engineers first. But I am not holding breath for that.

SEWIGuy

I wasn't a fan.  I moved to Green Bay where they are all over the place, now they are easy to navigate. 

Rothman

I am mostly for roundabouts.  I still raise an eyebrow at the string of roundabouts in Malta, NY, but for the most part I have seen roundabouts be much, much more of a benefit than a curse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

triplemultiplex

I for one appreciate a good roundabout; especially when I'm sitting there waiting for a daggum left turn arrow.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kalvado

Quote from: thspfc on December 30, 2021, 09:50:57 AM
Quote from: HighwayStar on December 29, 2021, 07:11:46 PM
Not a fan of roundabouts  :banghead:
Why?
Because there is no design culture nor qualifications to plan them properly. No understanding of the overall role, no planning for future development. I think I saw one roundabout design that included proper traffic analysis. Project cost ended up at $15M, and traffic they were planning for disappeared the next year.

tradephoric

I'll reserve my opinions on roundabouts in this thread and just touch on the database itself.  This is the largest modern roundabout database in the US and consists of 10,116 existing modern roundabouts.  For reference the Kittelson and Associates database currently consists of 9,547 existing US locations but these include modern roundabouts, traffic calming circles, and old-style rotaries.  A great resource but much more broad in their scope (and for some reason Kittelson really like focusing on traffic calming circles in Seattle, Portland, and San Fran with only a sprinkling of traffic calming circles included throughout the rest of the country).

Daniel Fiddler

Normally I actually like roundabouts since I know how to navigate them properly (not everyone does), and I think my city (Jackson, Tennessee) should have more than it does, although the one it does have, in my opinion, was not put in the best of locations in my opinion (on the second-busiest north-south artery in the city), and I thought it was going to be a major catastrophe when it was installed, although the traffic has adapted well to it.

Speaking of people not navigating them properly, my family has not adapted to them well at all except for my mother, she's almost as good (not quite) at navigating around them, she's still slightly too slow / cautious in my opinion but not bad.  My late father, late stater, and younger brother at least used to avoid them at all costs if possible (I don't know if my younger brother still does), they loathe / loathed them.

jeffandnicole

Roundabouts are just like any other control feature. If you're not comfortable gauging traffic while at a yield sign, then gauging traffic when you have the right of way while others are approaching a yield sign, how do you manage to drive every place else?

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2021, 10:17:20 AM
Why?
Because there is no design culture nor qualifications to plan them properly. No understanding of the overall role, no planning for future development. I think I saw one roundabout design that included proper traffic analysis. Project cost ended up at $15M, and traffic they were planning for disappeared the next year.

That's one. How about the other 10,000+ roundabouts?

How many intersections were rebuilt, then rebuilt again?  Only 1 needs to be found country-wide to match your experience on roundabouts.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2021, 01:00:57 PM
Roundabouts are just like any other control feature. If you're not comfortable gauging traffic while at a yield sign, then gauging traffic when you have the right of way while others are approaching a yield sign, how do you manage to drive every place else?

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2021, 10:17:20 AM
Why?

That's one. How about the other 10,000+ roundabouts?

How many intersections were rebuilt, then rebuilt again?  Only 1 needs to be found country-wide to match your experience on roundabouts.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a thousand or so which were given enough thinking in design phase. So yield may be non-zero after all.
Oh, and did I mention my daily commute going through a total of 1.5 traffic lights and 7 roundabouts? 

mukade

Quote from: tradephoric on December 28, 2021, 12:56:56 PM
There are now over 10,000 modern roundabouts in America.  You can download the database here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/90dpinbdui84k79/Modern_Roundabouts_USA.kmz/file

My anti-virus software flagged the page as dangerous. Can you confirm that it is not?

tradephoric

Quote from: mukade on December 30, 2021, 02:48:49 PM
There are now over 10,000 modern roundabouts in America.  You can download the database here:

My anti-virus software flagged the page as dangerous. Can you confirm that it is not?

I was able to download it and open it with GE without any issue with the link provided.  But if there is another "safe" site that you trust to download from i can upload it there too.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 30, 2021, 05:17:59 AM

Neither am I.

However, I am tolerable of smaller roundabouts, but still can't stand the roundabouts at major intersections, where they are still crash prone, at least in Michigan that is.
Renewed roadgeek

mukade

Quote from: tradephoric on December 30, 2021, 03:00:10 PM
Quote from: mukade on December 30, 2021, 02:48:49 PM

I was able to download it and open it with GE without any issue with the link provided.  But if there is another "safe" site that you trust to download from i can upload it there too.

I downloaded it. I would guess that the domain or IP address range has some questionable sites - hence the AV software flags it.

I looked at the data in Google Earth. Needless to say, I am very impressed at the effort taken to create this data set.

That said, I did notice that this database includes at least three differences than Kittelson. First, some future roundabouts are included in this database and second, I did notice at least one roundabout completely inside a factory (in the Honda plant in Greensburg, IN). Also, there isn't a distinction between the true modern roundabouts and the quasi-roundabouts you see inside some subdivisions. With Kittelson, the latter might be categorized as "other". I am not sure if the distinction is really meaningful, but it is another difference.

hbelkins

Now would probably be another good opportunity to state how much I hate those blasted things. I was in hopes that the proliferation of these infernal things would be a fad.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mukade

We have at least 350 in the Indianapolis area, and getting close to 250 in my county with many more planned. The city of Carmel alone has 140.

I am a big fan of them, and I think it is fair to say that the vast majority of people like them because they save so much time and hassle. They are popular enough that some cities erect "roundabout coming soon" signs at intersections where they are planned.

I suppose the more of them you have and the more used to them you become, the more you like them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.