Should Georgia bring back the cantilevered signs?

Started by tolbs17, December 28, 2021, 10:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Georgia bring back the cantilevered signs?

Yes
10 (90.9%)
No
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

tolbs17

I feel like GDOT is just wasting extra money on installing full gantries with just one sign as opposed to cantilevered signs which save construction costs. I feel like the full gantries should only be used if there is 2 or more signs on the gantry...

NCDOT even installed two signs on a cantilevered sign!

John P East Memorial Hwy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WjsuW91Ce3Bt4N1S9

I feel like this is overpowered.

Max Rockatansky

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 28, 2021, 11:38:34 PM
This is General Highway talk because why?
Because I feel like it's extra stuff that's unnecessary...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2021, 11:49:26 PM

Okay, why should anyone outside the Southeast board give a shit about what Georgia does?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 28, 2021, 11:55:17 PM

Okay, why should anyone outside the Southeast board give a shit about what Georgia does?
Because I just wanted to ask this question for the Georgia roadgeeks but I feel like some roadgeeks outside of Georgia WILL wonder why Georgia uses full gantries instead of cantilever ones...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2021, 11:59:08 PM

Because I just wanted to ask this question for the Georgia roadgeeks but I feel like some roadgeeks outside of Georgia WILL wonder why Georgia uses full gantries instead of cantilever ones...

Someone wasn't listening I see:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29865.0

In case you've forgotten, that's on you because you wanted to play peekaboo.  But who am I, continue to pad your post count with misplaced fluff.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2021, 10:35:03 PM
NCDOT even installed two signs on a cantilevered sign!

John P East Memorial Hwy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WjsuW91Ce3Bt4N1S9
This is pretty rare in a lot of other states. At least for the ones I've lived in (OH, MO, IN), two or more signs require a full length gantry.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2021, 12:02:10 AM

Probably because this (I mentioned it in your linked thread):
QuoteAlso, is it a coincidence that tolbs17 haven't logged on the forum since this thread was posted? Considering he's one of the few names that I had in mind reading it.

tolbs17

In case you've forgotten, that's on you because you wanted to play peekaboo.  But who am I, continue to pad your post count with misplaced fluff.
So, this thread lacks reasonable content compared to the driving test thread that i made?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 29, 2021, 12:09:52 AM

So, this thread lacks reasonable content compared to the driving test thread that i made?

I don't know ask the site Admin:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.msg2691877#msg2691877

Maybe do something substantial with your posts for once and get them in the correct boards.  Anyone can grab a vanilla image from Google, it doesn't make it noteworthy. 

tolbs17

Note: If you guys don't like this thread or think that it's too focused on Georgia, then I can start a new one saying "Are full gantry or cantilever signs better to use to mount a single sign on?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2021, 12:15:35 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 29, 2021, 12:09:52 AM

I don't know ask the site Admin:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.msg2691877#msg2691877

Maybe do something substantial with your posts for once and get them in the correct boards.  Anyone can grab a vanilla image from Google, it doesn't make it noteworthy.
Unless you think that this thread should be moved to the Southeast board.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 29, 2021, 12:17:22 AM
Note: If you guys don't like this thread or think that it's too focused on Georgia, then I can start a new one saying "Are full gantry or cantilever signs better to use to mount a single sign on?

I feel compelled to ask, is there not something better to be doing at 12:21 AM?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2021, 12:21:35 AM

I feel compelled to ask, is there not something better to be doing at 12:21 AM?
Alright, goodnight.

SkyPesos

We went through this in your "strange overhead signs"  thread already. I vividly remember this little chain of quotes there:
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 18, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 09:25:26 PM
This one looks like they wasted money on using a full gantry to just hang one sign on that.
ODOT is so good at doing that

Your ODOT needs to get on my ODOT's level.
Could continue the discussion there.

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 29, 2021, 12:52:26 AM
We went through this in your "strange overhead signs"  thread already. I vividly remember this little chain of quotes there:
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 18, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 09:25:26 PM
This one looks like they wasted money on using a full gantry to just hang one sign on that.
ODOT is so good at doing that

Your ODOT needs to get on my ODOT's level.
Could continue the discussion there.
I forgot about that post...Unless we should merge the on-topic posts to that thread and delete the off-topic ones.

Another reason why I made this thread because I don't find the overhead signs "strange". I just find the full gantries that Georgia uses a little overpowered for a single sign to be mounted on.

Max Rockatansky

You don't sleep, study for school, do homework, work at a job, call a significant other or anything more productive in the middle of the night?  All this for boring Google Map images of freeway signage gantries?...why?  This literally the most boring road related item someone could post about (posted on the wrong board no less) and isn't an actual image taken by a user. 

If Alex isn't going break through to you, I don't know why I'm bothering to try. 

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2021, 01:10:32 AM
You don't sleep, study for school, do homework, work at a job, call a significant other or anything more productive in the middle of the night?  All this for boring Google Map images of freeway signage gantries?...why?

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

NCDOT does the opposite of what Georgia does because look at all these cantilevered signs on the I-95 widening project. NCDOT tries not to use full gantry signs unless they are for large signs. Plus this is a fairly rural area so there's no need for a big gantry here. Two cantilevers will work just fine.

link

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Tennessee will occasionally post two signs on one cantilevered overhead. There's one in Kentucky near the end of the Purchase Parkway that's very obviously a TDOT installation due to the fact that it's not one of our classic "erector sets."

https://goo.gl/maps/kupwt54gywCNi1kCA

Here's one on US 23 southbound right at the VA/TN line.

https://goo.gl/maps/9DFPMT6mh56AYDZZA

If weight and wind loading are favorable, I'm all for using one support post instead of two if it saves money. Far too often, we get hung up on aesthetics over functionality.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2022, 09:33:22 PM
Tennessee will occasionally post two signs on one cantilevered overhead. There's one in Kentucky near the end of the Purchase Parkway that's very obviously a TDOT installation due to the fact that it's not one of our classic "erector sets."

If weight and wind loading are favorable, I'm all for using one support post instead of two if it saves money. Far too often, we get hung up on aesthetics over functionality.

Back in the 00's sometime, there was a cantilever gantry with two signs over a very busy I-65 south at Cool Springs Blvd that fell onto the roadway after a bad storm.  If a gantry is gonna fall, that's not the stretch of road to have one fall on!

After this happened, TDOT investigated, and identified bolts in the anchoring foundation with the threads sheared off.  They must have felt like the weight of two large signs caused the bolt thread failure and identified a few other cantilever gantries with two signs and promptly had them replaced with full gantries.  Now TDOT's policy is to use full gantries with two or more signs, but they will still use cantilever gantries for single signs.

SCDOT, on the other hand, definitely still prefers cantilever gantries for two signs, and has put up several new ones in recent memory.  Although the outside sign is almost always a small white TRUCKS OVER SIX WHEELS USE TWO RIGHT LANES regulatory sign.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 04, 2022, 04:03:40 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2022, 09:33:22 PM

Back in the 00's sometime, there was a cantilever gantry with two signs over a very busy I-65 south at Cool Springs Blvd that fell onto the roadway after a bad storm.  If a gantry is gonna fall, that's not the stretch of road to have one fall on!

After this happened, TDOT investigated, and identified bolts in the anchoring foundation with the threads sheared off.  They must have felt like the weight of two large signs caused the bolt thread failure and identified a few other cantilever gantries with two signs and promptly had them replaced with full gantries.  Now TDOT's policy is to use full gantries with two or more signs, but they will still use cantilever gantries for single signs.

SCDOT, on the other hand, definitely still prefers cantilever gantries for two signs, and has put up several new ones in recent memory.  Although the outside sign is almost always a small white TRUCKS OVER SIX WHEELS USE TWO RIGHT LANES regulatory sign.

The sign fell on someone and killed her.

ran4sh

There's not really a need for Georgia to bring back cantilever signs. I've heard that some countries in Europe don't use cantilever signs either (they only use sign bridges or side-mounted signs).

I am aware that there are other Georgians on here that see nothing wrong with the use of cantilever signs.

The thing that Georgia does that I wish more states would do is, on freeways with 2 or 3 lanes in one direction, instead of a cantilever they simply mount signs on the side but at overhead height. E.g. https://goo.gl/maps/cpsvKt3V5G8pTzQF8
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Henry

In the past, I've seen single side posts on the majority of GA's freeways, and I do believe that they're still out there. Even that would be better than the current practice. The only acceptable use of one sign on a full gantry would be for APL's and diagrammatical signs.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.