News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Information Some may find Interesting

Started by Daniel Fiddler, December 30, 2021, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SectorZ on December 31, 2021, 10:21:24 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2021, 08:40:13 AM
But does Google factor in traffic speed or the speed limit? (That's a genuine question. I don't know.)

Apple Maps just assumes you drive recklessly. I've driven before on a 20 mile stretch of 55 MPH road and have it tell me it was 17 minutes to get from one exit to the next, an avg. speed of 70.

I am pretty certain that Apple uses traffic speed.  I have found it to be far more accurate than Google or whatever our cars use.

vdeane

I think Google is definitely using traffic speed, at least for me.  Using the directions feature and setting one point down the Thruway and dragging the ending point down the road until the drive time is exactly one hour yields a journey of 70.8 miles.  The speed limit is uniformly 65 on the section I used.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2021, 12:43:33 PM
I think Google is definitely using traffic speed, at least for me.  Using the directions feature and setting one point down the Thruway and dragging the ending point down the road until the drive time is exactly one hour yields a journey of 70.8 miles.  The speed limit is uniformly 65 on the section I used.

I tried it on the PA Turnpike, from the Blue Mountain interchange eastward, which has a 70 mph speed limit throughout (but with slower advisory speeds around a few curves), and reached a point 73 miles away between the Lancaster-Lebanon and Reading interchanges in one hour. So I'll say Google is using actual traffic speed. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.1598087,-77.6117822/40.2358195,-76.2837611/@40.1640343,-76.4019565,11.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0!5m1!1e1?hl=en

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Daniel Fiddler

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

But does Google factor in traffic speed or the speed limit? (That's a genuine question. I don't know.)

I might be more likely to go through on I-95 if I'm hungry because there are more options for stopping to eat along that route, although Wendy's new breakfast menu is pretty good and might change that equation because they have a location right off the last exit heading southbound on I-295. There's a Chick-Fil-A just off the highway in Mechanicsville, but getting in and out of their location is a nuisance.

I just put in Fredericksburg to Bethesda since we just got about a foot of snow.  It gives a time of 2 hr 8 min.  This is twice as long as normal, so it at least knows what speeds are like right now...

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 03, 2022, 04:04:21 PM

I might be more likely to go through on I-95 if I'm hungry because there are more options for stopping to eat along that route, although Wendy's new breakfast menu is pretty good and might change that equation because they have a location right off the last exit heading southbound on I-295. There's a Chick-Fil-A just off the highway in Mechanicsville, but getting in and out of their location is a nuisance.

I just put in Fredericksburg to Bethesda since we just got about a foot of snow.  It gives a time of 2 hr 8 min.  This is twice as long as normal, so it at least knows what speeds are like right now...

Based on what VDOT is showing on Twitter, that sounds like a highly optimistic travel time right now!

Terry Shea

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 30, 2021, 02:32:46 PM
Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 30, 2021, 09:07:37 AM
Most per Lane Mile (Worst Congestion):  Chattanooga, Tennessee
We need a southern and eastern bypass for Chattanooga.
Up Lookout Mountain?

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 03, 2022, 04:27:26 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on January 03, 2022, 04:04:21 PM

Based on what VDOT is showing on Twitter, that sounds like a highly optimistic travel time right now!

Channel 4 news just showed I-95 in Stafford County as being completely blocked southbound by jackknifed trucks that lost control going down the hill north of Exit 136.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: Terry Shea on January 03, 2022, 04:55:28 PM
Up Lookout Mountain?

Under Lookout Mountain

GaryV

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on January 03, 2022, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: Terry Shea on January 03, 2022, 04:55:28 PM
Up Lookout Mountain?

Under Lookout Mountain

With a rest area to "See Ruby Falls".

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2021, 12:43:33 PM

Can confirm this. Google times are often slightly faster than what would be possible by going exactly the speed limit. Their times are not unbeatable, though. They're usually fairly accurate if you stay within 5-10 mph of the limit, and conservative if you're driving faster than that.

Daniel Fiddler

LOL, no, no rest area under the mountain.  :P

And maybe google maps id more accurate than I thought.

My most memorable time driving I-95 was once in Brevard County, Florida when my late sister cupped her hands over my eyes while I was driving 85 mph, and it took my younger brother 5 seconds to remove them.  He and I were singing along to "The Trial"  and she LOATHED all Pink Floyd songs except "Comfortably Numb" .  She thought that was the best way to get the music to stop playing. My younger brother was scared to death!  I wasn't.  It was a memory and an experience that was to die for!

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2021, 03:40:07 PM
I-295 may be slightly longer mileage wise, but it's much easier to drive and less stressful. Also, rarely any congestion even during peak periods due to it smartly being designed with 6 lanes for most of the way, and 8 lanes on the busiest I-95 North to I-64 East segment.

I was impressed with the aforementioned 8-lane section of I-295 when I used it last year. Really high-quality road that seemed plenty wide enough for the traffic. A much better experience than I-95, which also needs 8 lanes from Richmond to DC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.