News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Interchanges

Started by CoolAngrybirdsrio4, January 01, 2022, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Which type of interchanges are being built as of now or recently (up to a decade ago)?
Renewed roadgeek

tolbs17

Great Lakes Roads

Here in Indiana:

Diamond Interchanges
Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) (1 new one, 1 under construction)
Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI)
Lots of Roundabouts Interchanges
Folded Diamond

mukade

Expanding a bit on Indiana:

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 01, 2022, 08:55:55 PM
Here in Indiana:

Diamond Interchanges
Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) (1 new one, 1 under construction)  5 in total (I-65 and I-69)
Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI)    8 in total (I-65, I-70, I-465, US 20, US 31, SR 37)
Lots of Roundabouts Interchanges   Indiana mainly builds the "Dog bone" variety, and I believe there are at least 20-25 now (I-65, I-69, I-265, US 20, US 31 SR 37, SR 49, SR 641, Keystone Pkwy). Also, there is a fairly unique roundabout interchange on I-69
Folded Diamond
----
Parclos   - These were all the rage from 2000 to 2010, but not that many recently. I think a couple of cloverleafs in Fort Wayne will be converted to parclos in the near future

Also, I-465 gets interchanges with flyover ramps for freeways when rebuilds occur

andrepoiy

Parclos almost exclusively!

ran4sh

In Georgia most new interchanges of the past decade have been conversion of an existing interchange (usually a diamond or a 5-ramp partial cloverleaf) to a DDI.

Of course, there's the large interchange of I-285 & SR 400 (US 19) under construction, which will be a stack interchange with collector-distributor roadways to connect nearby interchanges in each direction, similar to other Atlanta-area interchanges. Although it won't be a full stack, as one of the loop ramps will remain a loop.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Tom958

Quote from: ran4sh on January 02, 2022, 12:09:24 PM
In Georgia most new interchanges of the past decade have been conversion of an existing interchange (usually a diamond or a 5-ramp partial cloverleaf) to a DDI.

Of course, there's the large interchange of I-285 & SR 400 (US 19) under construction, which will be a stack interchange with collector-distributor roadways to connect nearby interchanges in each direction, similar to other Atlanta-area interchanges. Although it won't be a full stack, as one of the loop ramps will remain a loop.

There are new diamond interchanges at Poplar Road and I-85 in Newnan and at GA 324 and I-85 near Buford, plus a dumbbell interchange at Belfast Keller Road and I-95. Those are just the new ones I can think of right off.

mgk920

DDIs have become popular here in Wisconsin (WisDOT) since the late 2010s.

Mike

achilles765

From what I have been able to determine here in Texas....it's stacks on stacks on stacks...There are already so many exits on most freeways anyway, and with our frontage road system, a large number of them are slip ramps onto the frontage road, with an onramp either just before or just after the intersection. 

I am seeing quite a few braided ramps used in some places, especially where there is heavy development.

But for the most part, when there is a new interchange, or an interchange is being redone, it is some form of stack...whether its the huge sprawling 5-levels at major freeway-freeway junctions, or just a couple of direct connectors. 
At least in my part of the state, Houston, there are almost 0 cloverleaves...the the only interchanges even really resembling those are at frontage road to cross street intersections...and those are rare...there is one on Memorial Drive...and Beltway 8 has a cloverleaf interchange with Westpark Tollway....San Antonio and Dallas I know have several, though.

But here, most of the new ones are stacks...or they are converting non-stacks in to stacks... like Beltway 8 and 225, Grand Parkway and SH 249; or redoing old ones like IH 69/US 59 at IH 610 or the big rebuild they did near downtown for IH. 69 and IH 45
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

JoePCool14

Quote from: mgk920 on January 02, 2022, 01:16:52 PM
DDIs have become popular here in Wisconsin (WisDOT) since the late 2010s.

Mike

Roundabout interchanges (either dumbbells or dogbones) are also common in new WisDOT interchanges as well.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

thspfc

Nowadays WISDOT basically only builds three types of interchanges: dumbbells, DDI's, and stacks. Or, in the case of the I-39/90, I-43, and WI-81 interchange, a DDI and stack hybrid. I believe that the newest traditional DDI is at I-39/90 and WI-11, which was finished in 2020. The newest stack is the Zoo Interchange, which is one of the best interchanges in the world IMO. Not sure what the newest completed interchange period is (as in, not a revamp of an existing interchange). Maybe somewhere along US-12 near Baraboo.

MCRoads

Quote from: thspfc on January 03, 2022, 12:29:11 PM
Nowadays WISDOT basically only builds three types of interchanges: dumbbells, DDI's, and stacks. Or, in the case of the I-39/90, I-43, and WI-81 interchange, a DDI and stack hybrid. I believe that the newest traditional DDI is at I-39/90 and WI-11, which was finished in 2020. The newest stack is the Zoo Interchange, which is one of the best interchanges in the world IMO. Not sure what the newest completed interchange period is (as in, not a revamp of an existing interchange). Maybe somewhere along US-12 near Baraboo.

Huh. I think this is one of the only cases I have seen where one interchange has been turned into two completely separate interchanges built on top of one another. Maybe there should be a thread for that.

Edit to add that Texas 5 level stacks don’t count. I consider the freeway and service roads to be one road.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.