News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeway exit signs on two-lane roads

Started by KCRoadFan, January 08, 2022, 02:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2022, 04:29:53 PM
I think this full overhead on a two-lane section of US 6 might be the wildest one yet. This looks way too much like something you'd see on a one way carriageway. It could potentially be very dangerous especially for anyone that's color blind... not to mention the potential confusion for traffic heading the other way (driving underneath the sign facing the wrong way!)

I see the problem with the confusion that could be caused by thinking that both lanes are one-way in the direction of the signage.  Not sure why someone that's colorblind (like me) would have a problem with it, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2022, 11:07:16 PM
I think this full overhead on a two-lane section of US 6 might be the wildest one yet. This looks way too much like something you'd see on a one way carriageway. It could potentially be very dangerous especially for anyone that's color blind... not to mention the potential confusion for traffic heading the other way (driving underneath the sign facing the wrong way!)

I see the problem with the confusion that could be caused by thinking that both lanes are one-way in the direction of the signage.  Not sure why someone that's colorblind (like me) would have a problem with it, though.

I don't know much about color blindness as pertains to road markings. I guess you're probably used to it, but I was thinking there could be a problem with telling whether it was a one-way road or not because of the dashed lines in the center. It could be a potential issue at night, too.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2022, 11:13:56 PM

I don't know much about color blindness as pertains to road markings. I guess you're probably used to it, but I was thinking there could be a problem with telling whether it was a one-way road or not because of the dashed lines in the center. It could be a potential issue at night, too.

Not sure how the dashed lines would be an issue, unless dashed lines are an issue everywhere.  These are yellow the way they should be.  I'd imagine yellow-white colorblindness is very rare (my great uncle had monochromatic vision, though)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

westerninterloper

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2022, 11:15:53 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2022, 11:13:56 PM

Not sure how the dashed lines would be an issue, unless dashed lines are an issue everywhere.  These are yellow the way they should be.  I'd imagine yellow-white colorblindness is very rare (my great uncle had monochromatic vision, though)

I've drive that stretch of US 6 many times, and there's no confusing it for a one-way carriageway. US 6 is two tight lanes for about 20 miles from just outside Bowling Green until about 1/2 mile up the road from this sign, where it again expands to a four-lane divided highway as it crosses the Maumee River and has two quick interchanges before joining US 24. This one image does make it look strange, but there's no confusion.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

webny99

Another example of an overhead, at the end of ON 400 in Ontario: https://goo.gl/maps/2vy8Tu4SqgjPwcTi8

Bruce

Also on sections of US 101 near Olympia, WA:

doorknob60

It was mentioned that Oregon has quite a few of these, figured I'd share some links if anyone's interested. Oregon is pretty inconsistent about whether or not they use exit numbers or freeway style BGSes on 2 laners, but plenty of these do.

OR-140 in Klamath Falls. This one has complete signage including exit numbers.

US-97 in Klamath Falls. An odd looking Exit sign on this one. There are a couple others on US-97 nearby, including one with exit numbers, but they are 4 lanes at that point.

US-97 at Chiloquin, OR, complete with exit numbers

A left exit at US-97 and OR-58. I guess this is technically 4 lanes divided at the interchange, but one of the lanes is exit only.

OR-18/22 at Willamina

US-101 at OR-18

US-26 at OR-35

Marine Dr and 223rd Ave in Fairview. This one's not even a state highway.

I think that's plenty, but there's lots more out there.

On the other hand, I can't think of anything in Idaho, though I imagine there may be a couple examples I'm not thinking of. The closest I can think of is US-20 at the INL entrance/US-26, but that is kind of a hybrid between a freeway style interchange and a 4 way at grade, doesn't quite pass the sniff test to me.

webny99

Here's one on US 322 prior to joining up with PA 72.

wanderer2575

Similar setup on eastbound US-20/23 east of Lemoyne.

webny99

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 30, 2022, 10:58:28 PM

Similar setup on eastbound US-20/23 east of Lemoyne.

Wow. Also odd, but at least that one has a double yellow solid line, so it would be much harder to mistake as one-way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.