News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best resturants to have in service plazas?

Started by HighwayStar, February 23, 2022, 06:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayStar

Digging around I could not find this exact subject, so here it goes. Placing here as it seems marginally topical.

Specifically for the use case of  highway service plazas, where there are perhaps 4 venues available, what are your favorite existing restaurants that are used and/or ones that you would like to have in plazas?
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Max Rockatansky

The only one I ever recall going to with regularity was the Dunkin Donuts stores on Florida's Turnpike.  I really dig breakfast food as is and they rarely ever had super long lines.  Carl's Jr./Hardee's would be another I have utilized on with frequency on the Ohio Turnpike.

Aside from that I'd probably throw in two higher volume brands to draw traffic away from the brands I would go to. 

1995hoo

Roy Rogers
Arby's (which I haven't seen in a service plaza)
Nathan's
Some sort of pizza by the slice place
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tolbs17

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2022, 06:08:17 PM
Roy Rogers
Nathan's

Roy Rogers is a hidden gem.

Scott5114

Pick four? McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell.

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 23, 2022, 06:10:38 PM
Chick-fil-A. I love their food

Oh, that's a really great idea. Having the service plaza be completely useless 14% of the time.  :rolleyes:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HighwayStar

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 06:18:31 PM

Oh, that's a really great idea. Having the service plaza be completely useless 14% of the time.  :rolleyes:

It is only 1 of 4 restaurants.

And actually most of them are not open 24/7 anyway.

How about this, Chick-Fil-A stays open an extra 2 hours each day the rest of the week so they have the same total hours. Problem solved.

Scott5114

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 23, 2022, 06:21:39 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 06:18:31 PM

It is only 1 of 4 restaurants.

And actually most of them are not open 24/7 anyway.

How about this, Chick-Fil-A stays open an extra 2 hours each day the rest of the week so they have the same total hours. Problem solved.

The only thing he mentioned is Chick-Fil-A, which implies he wants the service plaza to simply have four of them.

Max Rockatansky

I can't be the only one who thinks Jesus Chicken is incredibly overrated?

My other two now that I've had a chance to think about it; Culver's and Quiznos.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2022, 06:25:19 PM

Never heard of them

1995hoo

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 23, 2022, 06:26:13 PM

Never heard of them

Wouldn't it be Jesus Pollo?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2022, 06:31:02 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on February 23, 2022, 06:26:13 PM

Never heard of them

Wouldn't it be Jesus Pollo?

Jesus Pollo and Taco Bar
(under new management)

oscar

I second Roy Rogers as an option. Also throw Tim Hortons into the mix, for northern-tier toll roads in the states where TH already operates (a few toll plazas already have them).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

I like it a fair amount, but their political bullshit makes it so that I eat there far more rarely than I would otherwise (the guilty conscience makes the chicken much less appetizing), and I have to make sure I throw the trash away discreetly because my wife disapproves of them even more than I do. If they would just revert to baseline corporate evil like the other fast food chains, they'd be part of the regular rotation.

When Norman had a Zaxby's, that could actually usually slake any Chick-Fil-A craving, but they closed down (probably because they put it on that awful stretch of Main Street where successfully executing a left turn is a Herculean endeavor). If I'm going to drive to Moore for chicken, I may as well go the extra couple of miles and hit up Popeye's on I-240.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 06:34:37 PM

I like it a fair amount, but their political bullshit makes it so that I eat there far more rarely than I would otherwise (the guilty conscience makes the chicken much less appetizing), and I have to make sure I throw the trash away discreetly because my wife disapproves of them even more than I do. If they would just revert to baseline corporate evil like the other fast food chains, they'd be part of the regular rotation.

When Norman had a Zaxby's, that could actually usually slake any Chick-Fil-A craving, but they closed down (probably because they put it on that awful stretch of Main Street where successfully executing a left turn is a Herculean endeavor). If I'm going to drive to Moore for chicken, I may as well go the extra couple of miles and hit up Popeye's on I-240.

Their political stuff aside what really turns me away from them is the huge crowds I have to contend with for food.  The food itself is fine but I always feel like there is a better/equal and more convenient chicken options that aren't hard to obtain.  In'n'Out has similar line issue (and arguably politics) but I've found it easier to bypass by going into the restaurant or going at the secret 10 AM opening.

J N Winkler

I don't know Jesus Chicken, but won't eat at Chick-fil-A for the usual political reasons.  I do like Popeyes, but have doubts as to its suitability for a service plaza since even a three-piece chicken dinner is enough to make me sleepy.  I don't need my autonomic nervous system going into rest-and-digest/feed-and-breed mode while I'm trying to handle a vehicle moving at 75.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ozarkman417

The pizza by the slice place of choice appears to be Sbarro, present in service plazas in Northern Illinois, West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Big John

Roy Rogers
Nathan's
I recall seeing one in Indiana.

webny99

Quote from: oscar on February 23, 2022, 06:32:52 PM
Also throw Tim Hortons into the mix, for northern-tier toll roads in the states where TH already operates (a few toll plazas already have them).

Yes! The Seneca Travel Plaza has one, and there are probably others on the Thruway. That and Wendy's, Arby's, and either a sub chain or pizza place would round out my top four.

dlsterner

Let's see ...

Roy Rogers  (can't believe I'm actually agreeing with HighwayStar)
Hardee's
Zaxby's  (or similar - to be able to get chicken on a Sunday)
Quizno's

As a fifth "wild card" choice, perhaps a pizza-by-the-slice place (like Sbarro).

And for those who have never heard of "Jesus Chicken" - you do realize it's just a derisive nickname for Chik-Fil-A?

SkyPesos

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 23, 2022, 06:41:13 PM
I do like Popeyes, but have doubts as to its suitability for a service plaza since even a three-piece chicken dinner is enough to make me sleepy. 
One Ohio Turnpike service plaza have a Popeyes

J N Winkler

Quote from: dlsterner on February 23, 2022, 08:29:23 PMAnd for those who have never heard of "Jesus Chicken" - you do realize it's just a derisive nickname for Chik-Fil-A?

I learned that after I posted.  There's no shortage of locally based fast-food fried chicken chains, so I assumed Jesus Chicken was one such.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 23, 2022, 08:42:11 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on February 23, 2022, 08:29:23 PMAnd for those who have never heard of "Jesus Chicken" - you do realize it's just a derisive nickname for Chik-Fil-A?

I learned that after I posted.  There's no shortage of locally based fast-food fried chicken chains, so I assumed Jesus Chicken was one such.

Same here. In fact, I just learned that after reading this post. But then again, I find the whole subject extraordinarily tiring, untenable, and ultimately unnecessary. A quick re-read of the general timeline of events only strengthens that feeling, to the point that I'm downright disgusted with the fact that it's still brought up almost a decade later.

As for the actual food at Chick Fil A, I already stated my opinion about that in another thread - largely overrated, except for their breakfast - so I'm pretty much in agreement with Max:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2022, 06:39:39 PM
Their political stuff aside what really turns me away from them is the huge crowds I have to contend with for food.  The food itself is fine but I always feel like there is a better/equal and more convenient chicken options that aren't hard to obtain.

Flint1979

I say like Roy Rogers, Wendy's, Pizza Hut Express, Popeyes.

roadman65

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 23, 2022, 08:42:11 PM

I'm guessing that with the Closed on Sunday business practice is why most plazas won't contract them? 

Yet in Florida Mall in Orlando, FL they used to be in the Food Court despite that they didn't open on Sunday.  However the mall verses a toll road open 24/7 is apples and pears.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.