News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Different crosswalk styles for different situations

Started by jakeroot, March 07, 2022, 02:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Newark, NJ uses the diagonal pattern as a standard. Besides that, there are mostly faux-brick crosswalks downtown, plus some other random designs on Essex County roads.

I don't like the diagonal pattern. Approaching it from a low angle, the pattern looks really busy and not immediately like a crosswalk. The zebra pattern is tried and true.

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: jakeroot on March 25, 2022, 02:00:38 PM
Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on March 13, 2022, 08:47:10 PM
I know for a fact in my city, Eau Claire uses the scheme you described in the original post. It used to be inconsistent 10 years ago but the current engineer in office deems it important enough to denote. Even to such a degree that at one of our intersections where the overnight flash mode (yes we still have some intersections that do this, even tho they are fully actuated  :rolleyes: ), the direction that has the flashing yellow has the continental, "piano keys" as I call them. I personally really like this way of denoting the crosswalks and wish more places followed it. I've found a lot of places are inconsistent.

Ahh, yet another unique characteristic of Eau Claire. I recall that city using somewhat unique signal design standards relative to other Wisconsin cities as well.

Indeed! Like I said in the other thread one could go on and on. :spin:
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

KEK Inc.

There definitely should use more raised crosswalks around Seattle.  People go too fast around here.

San Francisco colors school zone crosswalks yellow.  Not sure how standard that is.
Take the road less traveled.

jakeroot

Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on April 18, 2022, 10:28:33 PM

I would be fine with that!  :-D

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 18, 2022, 11:03:41 PM
There definitely should use more raised crosswalks around Seattle.  People go too fast around here.

San Francisco colors school zone crosswalks yellow.  Not sure how standard that is.

I've definitely noticed an uptick in raised crossings in Seattle, although the speed tables / speed humps are still remarkably more common. I think my favorite street in the city for it's calming measures is Fuhrman/Boyer from Eastlake to the Lynn St roundabout. All of the raised intersections and really densely-vegetated medians.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: jakeroot on April 19, 2022, 12:57:36 AM
Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on April 18, 2022, 10:28:33 PM

I would be fine with that!  :-D

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 18, 2022, 11:03:41 PM

I've definitely noticed an uptick in raised crossings in Seattle, although the speed tables / speed humps are still remarkably more common. I think my favorite street in the city for it's calming measures is Fuhrman/Boyer from Eastlake to the Lynn St roundabout. All of the raised intersections and really densely-vegetated medians.

That's the wonky oblong roundabout?  Did they update that recently?  I don't remember a raised crossing for pedestrians when I drove through there a week ago.
Take the road less traveled.

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 19, 2022, 01:17:11 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 19, 2022, 12:57:36 AM

That's the wonky oblong roundabout?  Did they update that recently?  I don't remember a raised crossing for pedestrians when I drove through there a week ago.

Exactly, yeah. The one with the stop signs. But to be honest, I wrote the post when I was tired, the calming measures do not extend all the way to Lynn St but really only to around the Portage Bay Bridge.

kphoger

What I really dislike, as a driver, are raised crosswalk tables that have no painting or other warning to alert me to the fact that I'm suddenly going to hit a hump in the road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2022, 09:59:07 AM
What I really dislike, as a driver, are raised crosswalk tables that have no painting or other warning to alert me to the fact that I'm suddenly going to hit a hump in the road.

Not sure I've ever seen one that wasn't marked. That's pretty interesting.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 20, 2022, 03:40:41 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2022, 09:59:07 AM

Not sure I've ever seen one that wasn't marked. That's pretty interesting.

Well, I guess it's not so much that they were never marked, but that the markings fade over time.

This, for example, looks like a regular crosswalk except for the now-fading special markings–which will only continue to fade more with time.

And here's a particularly faded one just down the street, but at least that one has a warning sign (only one, however, even though it's a two-lane one-way street).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.