Highway NOT entering your home state on which you have clinched the most mileage

Started by NWI_Irish96, May 21, 2022, 07:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

I-H1, I-H2, I-H3 are roads I clinched in Hawaii and these routes to not touch my home state.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bing101 on June 16, 2022, 07:34:43 AM
I-H1, I-H2, I-H3 are roads I clinched in Hawaii and these routes to not touch my home state.

But you don't have more than 27 miles (I-H1's length) on any road not touching your home state?

mgk920

For 'US' highways, I would say US 20.  Over the years, I have been on many discontiguous parts between Iowa and Massachusetts.

Mike

zzcarp

Having lived in Ohio for 28+years and Colorado for 16 years, that knocks off my normal mileage winners of I-70, I-80, I-90, I-75, I-76 (east and west) off my list as well as many of the US routes.

Therefore, for routes I've personally driven, I'm almost equal between I-40 (Williams, AZ to Albuquerque-353 miles) and I-94 (disjointed parts of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan-approx. 343 miles).
So many miles and so many roads

hobsini2

I-44 I think is the winner.  I have clinched it except for the extension in St Louis. 632 mi. I had the extension back when it was I-70.
US 83 would probably be the US Highway Route. Junction TX to Anson TX, Guthrie TX to Shamrock TX, Liberal KS to North Platte NE, Mission SD to Minot ND. 1006 miles of 1885.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ethanhopkin14

Definitely I-70.  I have clinched it except between the two Moab, UT exits (I think it's 26 miles). 

ftballfan

Quote from: ftballfan on June 14, 2022, 10:18:08 PM
I-65 easily. I've lived in Michigan my entire life and I've been on all of I-65 north of I-840 south of Nashville

Oops! I forgot about I-77! But before March 2022, I-65 was the winner. After March, I've been on all of I-77 except for the northernmost (10-15 miles) section in Cleveland

pderocco

I live in California now, but I clinched I-5 and I-10 while I still lived in Massachusetts, and was only frequently visiting California. Those are the only long interstates I've clinched.

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on May 22, 2022, 10:17:49 AM
Easily I-40 for me. I have six separate segments of it, including the whole thing from Amarillo to west Nashville, that add up to 1472 miles per Travel Mapping (about 57% of the route).

For US highways, it's US 30 (742 miles, 24%) thanks to its long concurrencies with I-84 in Oregon/Idaho and I-80 in Wyoming.

Update:

I-40 is still the winner, though now even more so as I drove from Amarillo to San Jon NM, extending my distance on that route to 1562 miles (61%).

My US highway winner, however, is now US 287 mostly due to its role as a long distance corridor in northern Texas and eastern Colorado. My nine separate segments of that add to 908 miles, or about 48% of the whole route.

rlb2024

Probably I-95 for me -- I've done sections in every state it touches and have driven probably 85 percent of the total route (omitting parts of FL between Vero Beach and Fort Lauderdale, NJ since the new routing on the turnpikes, and ME north of Bangor).  It would have been I-40 since I've done everything except the stretch from Williams to Flagstaff in AZ and from Raleigh to Wilmington in NC, but since I grew up in Memphis it's not really fair to count that.

Jim

Since I-90, my most-traveled route, passes through both states where I've lived, New York and Massachusetts, I move down to the the three others on which I have at least 2000 miles traveled.

I-40, traveled all 2577 miles.

I-80, traveled 2531 miles.

I-10, traveled 2229 miles.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

clong

I-95 with 1300 miles which only last month surpassed I-40 with 1223 miles.

These are both ahead of I-20 with 1084 miles that does enter my home state.

I-55

My namesake for 351 miles (Jackson, MS - Sikeston, MO)
I-59 for 252 miles (Meridian, MS - Trenton, GA (using I-459))
I-20 for 207 miles (Brandon, MS - Bessemer, AL)

Living in Indiana really limits the number of options here.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

RoadRebel

Most likely westbound I-20 between US-521 and I-26 in South Carolina. It's only 34 miles.
Keep right (not middle) except to pass!

Ted$8roadFan

I-89 in Vermont/NH.
Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkways in CT. 
I-87 (New York thruway).
I-80 In NJ/PA/OH.
I-81 in VA/WV/MD/PA
I-64 in VA
I-75 in OH/MI

Bruce

Mine seems to be US 30, followed by I-84. Both spend a good chunk of time along the WA/OR border but never cross over.

For stuff further out, I have US 20 and US 26 within 2 miles of each other.

adventurernumber1

It's a lot closer than I thought it would be, but it is either I-40 or I-65, neither of which enter Georgia. On both highways I have clinched between 400 and 500 miles, but I-40 might barely beat it out in terms of total miles clinched.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

J N Winkler

I haven't gotten into Travel Mapping, so any mileages will be approximate, and for purposes of this exercise I count myself as having lived only in Kansas.

Longest Interstate:  I have driven all of I-40 except Barstow to Exit 115 (California), Exit 192 (SH 9A) to Exit 286 (SH 351/Muskogee Turnpike) (Oklahoma), and maybe Exit 259 (east end of I-85 overlap) to Exit 279B (south end of Durham Freeway) (North Carolina), a total of 229 miles not driven out of the 2,554.  No other transcontinental Interstate even comes close except I-70, for which I am missing Indianapolis-Columbus and Frederick-Baltimore.

Longest US route:  I think this is probably US 20, long lengths of which I have driven in Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, and Oregon, with short lengths in Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and Massachusetts.  US 60 (long lengths from Phoenix, Arizona to Pawhuska, Oklahoma, as well as Springfield to Poplar Bluff in Missouri) is another contender.

Longest state route:  This is probably SR 2 in Nebraska, which I have driven all the way from Grand Island to Crawford (327 miles).  A very close runner-up is TH 23 in Minnesota, which I have followed all the way from Pipestone to Duluth (I can't get an accurate mileage estimate through Google Maps at the moment, since it won't allow me to follow the route between Paynesville and Richmond or Foley and Milaca; with detours the routing works out to 324 miles).  Like others, I have followed parts of M-28 in the Upper Peninsula, but have very little mileage on it because of visits to the Shipwreck Museum (didn't take the segment between the two M-123 junctions), Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (missed the Seney Straight), and the north end of US 41 (missed everything from Covington to Bergland).

Outside the US,  I have driven all 880 km of Hwy. 401 in Ontario, as well as 695 km of Hwy. 17 between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie and--in England--the entirety of the M6 motorway between the M42 junction west of Birmingham to the Scottish border just south of Gretna Green (208 miles).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

I would have to say US 71 as in 01 I clinched it from St. Joseph, MO to Fayetteville, AR and then from Fort Smith to Shreveport, LA as I-49 was not yet completed or signed north of Shreveport where its original terminus was at I-20.

However, I have done two years ago US 63 from I-70 to Jonesboro, AR in one sitting as well/

As far as interstates go, I have done I-70 from Cove Fort, UT to Denver and from Limon to Vandalia, IL ( in different trips) and from New Stanton to Columbus.

I live in Florida, so none of these three are a Sunshine State route.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Great Lakes Roads

It has to be Interstate 40 for me, which kinda surprised me...

I-95's total mileage that I've driven on is 1,248 miles, which comes out in second place!
I-75's total mileage that I've driven on is 1,236 miles, which comes out in third place!

EDIT: It's actually... I-40 at a whopping 1,693 miles!

paulthemapguy

I thought the answer would be I-65, which I've clinched.  But apparently, I've been on 1610 miles of I-40, which takes first place. My mileage along each of I-75 and I-10 both appear above I-65, which is 4th on the list.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Scott5114

Mine is I-70, which I've poured 1317 miles into. By contrast, the highest US route (even counting those in Oklahoma) is US-40, which I've done 475 miles on. Kinda shows you what my travel priorities are...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2022, 06:53:11 PM
Mine is I-70, which I've poured 1317 miles into. By contrast, the highest US route (even counting those in Oklahoma) is US-40, which I've done 475 miles on. Kinda shows you what my travel priorities are...

I also have a nearly insurmountable gap between most traveled interstate (I-90, 1841 miles) and most traveled US route (US 52, 326 miles). Of course, I-90 does enter my home state, so my answer for this thread (I-94, 577 miles) is a lot closer, but still almost double the mileage.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on June 29, 2022, 10:02:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2022, 06:53:11 PM

I also have a nearly insurmountable gap between most traveled interstate (I-90, 1841 miles) and most traveled US route (US 52, 326 miles). Of course, I-90 does enter my home state, so my answer for this thread (I-94, 577 miles) is a lot closer, but still almost double the mileage.

That's a little more understandable in your case, though, since living in New York doesn't really lend itself well to long trips on US routes. I'm surrounded by lengthy US routes, like US-71, US-82, and US-160, I just...haven't used them much.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I live in the middle of the country and am willing to go off-Interstate, but rarely find myself following US routes across multiple states except west of the 100th meridian, simply because the routings are often less than logical.  I have a bit over 1100 miles of US 54 (all the way from El Paso to I-70 just north of Fulton, Missouri), but am missing significant lengths of US 160 in Colorado and Kansas because of the way it jumps up and then back down.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.