Interstates or US Highways that go A-B-A in terms of states traveled

Started by AlexandriaVA, July 07, 2022, 09:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 07, 2022, 10:07:05 PM
Quote from: plain on July 07, 2022, 10:05:31 PM
Like US 50? MD→WV→VA→MD

And US 340 VA→WV→very briefly VA

Wow - really good catch on US-50, and you're selling yourself short because you didn't include DC (yes, not a state but you get the point). That's a really brief stretch of the road in western MD

For US 50 it would actually be WV -> MD -> WV, then VA and DC before MD again.  So the "A"  is really WV and the "B"  is really MD.

plain

Yes. I simply just did it the other way because MD is the ending.
Newark born, Richmond bred

US 89

US 212 meanders across the Wyoming-Montana boundary east of Yellowstone, then clips the northeast corner of Wyoming again between Montana and South Dakota

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 07, 2022, 11:40:03 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 07, 2022, 10:07:05 PM
Quote from: plain on July 07, 2022, 10:05:31 PM
Like US 50? MD→WV→VA→MD

And US 340 VA→WV→very briefly VA

Wow - really good catch on US-50, and you're selling yourself short because you didn't include DC (yes, not a state but you get the point). That's a really brief stretch of the road in western MD

For US 50 it would actually be WV -> MD -> WV, then VA and DC before MD again.  So the "A"  is really WV and the "B"  is really MD.

Beat me to it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Some one on July 07, 2022, 10:11:29 PM
US 62/180 - Texas -> New Mexico -> Texas

US 71 -  Arkansas -> Texas -> Arkansas

US 59 - Texas -> Arkansas -> Texas -> Arkansas

US 54 - Texas -> New Mexico -> Texas

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rothman

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 08, 2022, 02:20:14 PM
US 460 goes from VA -> WV -> VA
Been that way more than a few times.  This may be changing with the new alignment of US 460, though, I'd think.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ethanhopkin14

Honorable mention might be US-72 because it goes A-B-C-A (TN, AL, MS, TN) but is interesting because it is the only US Highway to have both termini in one state but isn't intrastate. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 08, 2022, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 08, 2022, 02:20:14 PM
US 460 goes from VA -> WV -> VA
Been that way more than a few times.  This may be changing with the new alignment of US 460, though, I'd think.

The alignment won't change between Narrows and Tazewell. Unless you're talking about changing a frequently traveled route once more of the new route in Virginia and Kentucky opens up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

In the "once-upon-a-time" category, US-219 used to begin at its parent in Princeton, West Virginia then crossed into Virginia through Glen Lyn and Rich Creek, a mere 5 miles before crossing back into West Virginia and then heading northward.  In the mid-1940s, US-460 was multiplexed over this same route.  Then in 1966, US-219 was truncated to Rich Creek eliminating the A-B-A arrangement (but still leaving US-460 with a B-A-B arrangement).

Bickendan

Canada: The Alaska Highway (BC 97 AND YT 1)
BC 97 has a number of skips into Yukon, final stretch being in British Columbia before switching to YT 1 to do it again, going Yukon-British Columbia-Yukon
NT 5, with two skips from Northwest Territories into Alberta and back.
India: NH 27 along the Bihar and West Bengal border (14 border crossings between the two per current TM draft) and again between Assam and Meghalaya (7 times)
While ultimately NH 27 starts in Bihar and ends in West Bengal and is a technical disqualification, the Assam and Meghalaya jumps qualify as the 27 starts and ends in Assam.

NH 16 does similar between Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, and Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, but fall under the technical disqualification that the BR-WB NH 27 example has. This likely affects a number of national/autoroute/autobahn/E-routes in France and Germany as well.

On a NATIONAL level, however... AH 1 and 2 both qualify.
AH 1: India-Bangladesh-India
AH 2: India-Nepal-India-Bangladesh-India (and would also count as a rondo in music...)

(If only Yukon had agreed to renumber YT 1 to 97, then US 97 could have technically qualified on the national level as well!)

CtrlAltDel

This isn't quite what this thread is about, but on an international level, there are two bits of Croatia separated by a bit of Bosnia-Herzegovina, which necessitates two border crossings along the road connecting them (which do not maintain the same designation as far as I can tell) to travel by car.

However, as soon as this month, these two bits of Croatia will be joined by a bridge, to avoid needing to pass through customs and all that.

I thought that was interesting.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jlam

Future I-49 will venture into Texas for about five miles, therefore going AR-TX-AR.

TheHighwayMan3561

Another national level example is the infamous road near Saatse, Estonia that clips into Russia before returning to Estonia. There are no border controls but stopping and foot traffic are both prohibited and Russia has refused all attempts to improve the road. There were suggestions of a possible land swap to put this segment into Estonia entirely, but nothing has apparently come of it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 27, 2022, 01:38:02 AM
Another national level example is the infamous road near Saatse, Estonia that clips into Russia before returning to Estonia. There are no border controls but stopping and foot traffic are both prohibited and Russia has refused all attempts to improve the road. There were suggestions of a possible land swap to put this segment into Estonia entirely, but nothing has apparently come of it.

The sign is definitely interesting:

The Street View history (click image) seems to show that the road has been improved at some point.

kirbykart

ClassicHasClass

Didn't see US 395 mentioned. Starts in California, enters Nevada, returns to California. There's an Exit 8 north of Reno which doesn't make sense as a result: http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/395/u15/#img_5

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

froggie

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 27, 2022, 01:03:58 PM
Surprised NJ/NY/NJ 440 hasn't come up yet.

OP was asking about Interstates or US routes, not state routes.  Even specified in the thread title.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on July 27, 2022, 03:40:49 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 27, 2022, 01:03:58 PM
Surprised NJ/NY/NJ 440 hasn't come up yet.

OP was asking about Interstates or US routes, not state routes.  Even specified in the thread title.

However, it is more important than plenty of the US routes mentioned.. and noteworthy for being a continuous number while crossing into another state and back (as is always the case with US routes/interstates, but not always with state routes).

fillup420

I know its just a state route, but NC 106 goes NC-GA-NC-GA-NC-GA to become GA 246.
all within about 2 miles.

On top of that, the route numbers don't match, and only the eastern-most border crossing is fully signed as such.

LilianaUwU

QC 247 southbond goes QC/VT/QC on Rue Canusa, named as such because it's running on the border between Canada and the USA.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ran4sh

"MSR" 28 goes NC-GA-SC-GA-SC (from northwest to southeast).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Bickendan

Another India example, and one I believe in the running for most extreme: WB 12, a state highway, dips into Nepal and back a few times, with one of those times having an intersection with a Nepalese highway.
To recap: A state-level highway crosses international borders several times, and is officially the same signed state-level highway even in the neighboring nation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.