News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Underbuilt Intersections

Started by webny99, July 31, 2022, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I just got to thinking the other day that the intersection of NY 19 and NY 31 in Brockport, NY is severely underbuilt for the traffic volumes it handles. The left turns are near constantly backed up and poor signal timing doesn't help. It really needs two through lanes on each road, especially NY 31, and a double left from NY 19 SB onto NY 31 EB. The nearby NY 31/NY 260 intersection, for example, handles similar volumes but isn't nearly as bad of a chokepoint.

What are some of the most egregious underbuilt intersections that you can think of?

Hobart

This intersection at 167th and Cicero in Oak Forest always gets my goat.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.588775,-87.7359461,189m/data=!3m1!1e3

The left turn lane on 167th going westbound (left) ends immediately to the right of the picture. Although it appears average in length, it is not up to the task of handling the volume of left turning traffic that gets spat into the intersection from I-57.

167th has a short cycle, so the intersection gets clogged with queued cars that sprawl all the way back to the cloverleaf with I-57 as well.

There have been one or two times where I was stuck at this intersection going west for three signal cycles. IDOT should put in a double left turn lane and change this intersection from the configuration it was built in the early 70's.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.