News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State Highways in your state that are exclusively freeways

Started by OCGuy81, August 03, 2023, 04:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-- US 175 --

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 04, 2023, 10:14:41 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 04, 2023, 06:02:52 PM
Quote from: -- US 175 -- on August 04, 2023, 05:54:44 PM
There are a few in TX.  TX 225 is the only all-freeway one I can think of.  I was going to put TX 360 but between US 287 and just south of I-20, it is like others where the service road is the only part that is TX 360 (the newer main lanes are tolled with a different designation).

Someone out there may know of more; feel free to add.

At first thought, there would seemingly be a much longer list.  Most state highways in TX, though, are non-freeway or mixed freeway and surface street/highway.

Doesn't TX-225 end as a surface street inside loop 610?
Yes (this shield is posted between the terminus and the intersection with Broadway Street).

As for a complete list for Texas, I would guess it looks like this:

- TX 130
- TX 151
- TX Loop 151 (completely unrelated)
- TX 161

Most of the other ones you'd think would be all freeway (TX 99, Loop 375, etc.) have some sort of at-grade section.

I'd forgotten about that part inside 610, but I didn't realize it was signed.  Since that isn't a connecting segment and it fades into the neighborhood, it seems a waste to sign it.

TX 161 isn't one I'd consider, because other than the TX 183-to-Belt Line Rd. section, it is along the discontinuous service roads, not the main lanes (those are part of the Bush Turnpike).

I thought that TX 130's tolled section was considered something other than a state highway since by TX law, regular state highways can't be tolled.

CoreySamson

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on August 09, 2023, 01:18:11 PM
I thought that TX 130's tolled section was considered something other than a state highway since by TX law, regular state highways can't be tolled.
That might be so, but the southern section of 130, which is not tolled, is entirely concurrent with other freeways, so I would say it still counts.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

LilianaUwU

I would say Montréal's QC 136, but that one's an impostor.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

MikieTimT

Arkansas has 3, although all are placeholder designations for future Interstates:

AR-440 in North Little Rock for I-440 once US-67 gets promoted to I-57
AR-549 in Barling/Ft. Smith for I-49 once connected to Alma across the AR River
AR-612 in Springdale/Lowell for US-412 Bypass(I-50 ;-)) once completed back to US-412 in Tontitown

Edit:
Almost forgot AR-151 in Texarkana.  I could see it being redesignated a 3DI at some point, if Texas was interested at all anyway.

doorknob60

There's not any in Idaho. In addition, there's almost no state highways that have any freeway segments, at all. Not counting eg. ID-55 running concurrent with I-84. The only one I can think of is ID-16, which as it stands now is only ~2 miles of freeway with no interchanges, so I don't even know if you'd count it until they build more of it (though it's definitely built to freeway standards).

Dirt Roads

There's none in West Virginia either.  Other than a technicality, there's only one state route in West Virginia that is multiplexed onto other freeways (and it does so three times):

• WV-2 is multiplexed on I-70 with US-250 and US-40 through the Wheeling Hill tunnels
  • WV-2 continues multiplexed with US-250 down the US-250 Freeway from Wheeling -to- McMechen
  • and WV-2 is multiplex with I-77 for about 32 miles from Parkersburg -to- Ravenswood
And for those who haven't heard me tell that story (over-and-over), one item on Jay Rockefeller's platform when he ran for Governor in 1976 was to upgrade WV-2 from Ravenswood -to- Parkersburg to a fourlane highway.  Soon after winning the election, the DOH informed the public that WV-56 would be upgraded to a fourlane expressway and after completion, WV-2 would be rerouted over I-77 (presumably to keep the new Governor's promise).  The DOH didn't actually wait for the upgrade, and WV-2 was relocated later in 1977.  When the fourlane expressway was completed in 1979, Ravenswood finally got it's fourlane to Parkersburg (almost of it meeting expressway or Interstate standards, even better than the then Gubernatorial candidate's promise). Locals were not impressed, but it all probably make sense if too many locals were still using the old Ravenswood Road (now WV-68) as the preferred route to go north.

By the way, folks going north on WV-2 still have to traverse a tiny two-lane section beneath I-77 at the Raverswood/Silverton exit (Exit 146).  In our dialect "it hain't que'hite deyre yet".

clong

None in AL that I'm aware of.

AL152 in Montgomery and AL255 in Huntsville are close.

Dirt Roads

Are you ready to get slap-happy?  As of today, North Carolina has [at least] three freeways, which involve four state route numbers:

• Triangle Expressway (Raleigh Outer Belt, southern loop portion): NC-540; plus (western leg): NC-885
  • Durham Freeway (northwest portion): NC-147
  • Winston-Salem Beltway (northern portion): NC-74
In a weird twist of fate, before the advent of the East End Connector (I-885) there were [at most] three freeways with only two numbers:

• Triangle Expressway (Raleigh Outer Belt, southern loop portion): NC-540; plus (western leg): NC-147
  • Durham Freeway (entirety): NC-147
:banghead:

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 09, 2023, 05:36:26 PM
There's none in West Virginia either.  Other than a technicality, there's only one state route in West Virginia that is multiplexed onto other freeways (and it does so three times):

Depending on how one counts termini that aren't full on freeway-freeway, at the very least I'd put WV-43 on an honorable mention list - it's all freeway, though it utilizes the diamond with I-68
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

roadfro

The count is exactly one for Nevada: SR 171 (the Harry Reid Airport Connector, between I-215 & the airport tunnels) in Las Vegas.

The more significant example would be SR 613 (Summerlin Pkwy) in Las Vegas; however, the western terminus is a signalized intersection for now. (This has been state highway for only a couple years now; used to be city up until a jurisdictional swap a few years ago.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheRhodeGeek

There's a few
RI 24, 4?, 37, 403 (146 doesnt count)
Limon and Breezewood should not be control cities!

Mapmikey

• WV-2 is multiplexed on I-70 with US-250 and US-40 through the Wheeling Hill tunnels
  • WV-2 continues multiplexed with US-250 down the US-250 Freeway from Wheeling -to- McMechen
  • and WV-2 is multiplex with I-77 for about 32 miles from Parkersburg -to- Ravenswood
And for those who haven't heard me tell that story (over-and-over), one item on Jay Rockefeller's platform when he ran for Governor in 1976 was to upgrade WV-2 from Ravenswood -to- Parkersburg to a fourlane highway.  Soon after winning the election, the DOH informed the public that WV-56 would be upgraded to a fourlane expressway and after completion, WV-2 would be rerouted over I-77 (presumably to keep the new Governor's promise).  The DOH didn't actually wait for the upgrade, and WV-2 was relocated later in 1977.  When the fourlane expressway was completed in 1979, Ravenswood finally got it's fourlane to Parkersburg (almost of it meeting expressway or Interstate standards, even better than the then Gubernatorial candidate's promise). Locals were not impressed, but it all probably make sense if too many locals were still using the old Ravenswood Road (now WV-68) as the preferred route to go north.

By the way, folks going north on WV-2 still have to traverse a tiny two-lane section beneath I-77 at the Raverswood/Silverton exit (Exit 146).  In our dialect "it hain't que'hite deyre yet".

WV 2 does not overlay with I-70.

WV 68 does overlay US 50 freeway in Parkersburg.

WV 9 has the only other significant freeway segment on a state hwy.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 10, 2023, 03:49:57 PM
Depending on how one counts termini that aren't full on freeway-freeway, at the very least I'd put WV-43 on an honorable mention list - it's all freeway, though it utilizes the diamond with I-68

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 15, 2023, 07:21:31 PM
WV 2 does not overlay with I-70.

WV 68 does overlay US 50 freeway in Parkersburg.

WV 9 has the only other significant freeway segment on a state hwy.

My bad on WV-2.  I just recently posted about the cancelled freeway WV-2 Bypass along the US-250 Freeway corridor and forgot about the Main/Market one-way pairs (which I've been on several times). 

I wasn't aware that WV-43 (entirety), WV-9 (northeast of Charles Town -to- East Martinsburg) and the US-50 Bypass around Parkersburg were true freeways.  Kudos to the DOH.  Should have pulled out my new Official State Map.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: TheRhodeGeek on August 15, 2023, 07:10:21 PM
There's a few

Forgot about 403. I don't think 4 counts because of the stoplights south of 102.

TheRhodeGeek

Quote from: TheRhodeGeek on August 15, 2023, 07:10:21 PM
There's a few
I forgot some: 10, 99, 78, and I guess the airport connector (I don't think it has a secret number)
Limon and Breezewood should not be control cities!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.