News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ever been involved in a Car Accident?

Started by KEK Inc., June 02, 2012, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: Chris on June 05, 2012, 07:03:55 AMBy the way having an accident in southern Europe can be a major pain because most people do not speak much English (or any foreign language for that matter).
Nonsense! Perhaps more of a problem in Britain and Ireland in terms of ability, but the French are often able, but not willing...

A Southern African neighbour of mine went round Paris, not knowing any French, and started with Afrikaans and perhaps try a few other languages before the snobby Parisians would converse in English - his mother tongue. And they all know it pretty well - about as well as the Germans do, so nowhere the Dutch - who speak it better than we do!

---
My only Road Traffic Accident was when cycling, a crazy man ran into me (I saw him run out, accelerated so as to not cause him any damage by hitting him dead on, for I had not enough time to stop, but his erratic path meant he took out my back wheel rather than went behind it as planned) - I was lucky there wasn't anything coming the other way - for it would have been a bus, and I'd have been either under it, hit by the front of it, or through one of its side window, given how I ended up 6 ft into the other carriageway with some force - a trip in an ambulance for sure. Luckily I had the sense to use my arms as shock absorbers, meaning my head only touched the ground due to the crash helmet I was wearing making it both bigger and heavier (I'm pretty sure that wearing a helmet did more physical harm than good there). One rather grazed hand, one fairly grazed hand, two sore arms, a bit of discomfort on the leg that was on the ground and quite a bit of shock, plus some damage to bike accessories (eg rear light completely smashed all over the road) and the idiot having been completely unharmed nearly got run over by a bus a minute later.

triplemultiplex

I had some moron stop short to make a left turn in front of me without signalling.  I stopped in time.  The two cars behind me didn't.  It was a low speed collision fortunately and I got out of there with just a dented bumper.

My current vehicle also has a dented bumper from when I backed into another vehicle in the parking lot of my own building.  I felt like such an idiot.  It's amazing how much damage you can cause at less than idle speed when you've got a pick-up and you hit a normal car like that.

In college I had a close call with a university vehicle in the 35E/694 commons before it was rebuilt.  I nearly sideswiped a car with the Ram crew cab plus trailer I was driving while trying to stay on 694 EB.  The other guy made a good move to avoid a collision.  So glad that interchange was fixed.

And just this winter I was driving on US 41/45 in a snowstorm, I lost traction and started fish-tailing dramatically, but was able to steer out of it.  But I reckon most folks on here who live where it snows regularly has pulled at least one of those in their driving careers.  Every winter I'll do that a couple times on purpose on an empty road or parking lot for practice just in case.  And damned if it didn't work.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Mdcastle

Not me but it happened at an office building I used to work at (now I telecommute)
http://failblog.org/2010/03/25/minivan-fail/
The guy who owned the minivan on the left was really pissed because he only had one payment left.

texaskdog

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 05, 2012, 09:07:56 PM
I had some moron stop short to make a left turn in front of me without signalling.  I stopped in time.  The two cars behind me didn't.  It was a low speed collision fortunately and I got out of there with just a dented bumper.

My current vehicle also has a dented bumper from when I backed into another vehicle in the parking lot of my own building.  I felt like such an idiot.  It's amazing how much damage you can cause at less than idle speed when you've got a pick-up and you hit a normal car like that.

In college I had a close call with a university vehicle in the 35E/694 commons before it was rebuilt.  I nearly sideswiped a car with the Ram crew cab plus trailer I was driving while trying to stay on 694 EB.  The other guy made a good move to avoid a collision.  So glad that interchange was fixed.

And just this winter I was driving on US 41/45 in a snowstorm, I lost traction and started fish-tailing dramatically, but was able to steer out of it.  But I reckon most folks on here who live where it snows regularly has pulled at least one of those in their driving careers.  Every winter I'll do that a couple times on purpose on an empty road or parking lot for practice just in case.  And damned if it didn't work.

In my mind the idiot who doesn't use a blinker is always at fault.  I was on my bike and almost got hit by a car turning right with no blinker.  Already into his turn when he stopped.

bulkyorled

2007, step grandpa was going way too fast, and a light turned yellow and the stupid woman ahead of us slams on her breaks, boom rear ended her. Bent her bumper down and cracked the front on the van we were in but other than that there wasn't any visible damage but the van was totaled due to a cracked radiator among other cracked things. It was a 98 Ford Windstar and the other a 97 Nissan Sentra. She was technically at fault because she stopped RIGHT when it turned yellow but he was going too fast and was too close. That's what you get when you let an immigrant from Africa and a 74 year old man drive in the same lane at the same time
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

texaskdog

Quote from: bulkyorled on June 07, 2012, 01:16:45 AM
2007, step grandpa was going way too fast, and a light turned yellow and the stupid woman ahead of us slams on her breaks, boom rear ended her. Bent her bumper down and cracked the front on the van we were in but other than that there wasn't any visible damage but the van was totaled due to a cracked radiator among other cracked things. It was a 98 Ford Windstar and the other a 97 Nissan Sentra. She was technically at fault because she stopped RIGHT when it turned yellow but he was going too fast and was too close. That's what you get when you let an immigrant from Africa and a 74 year old man drive in the same lane at the same time

Usually they hold the driver in back at fault

bulkyorled

Quote from: texaskdog on June 07, 2012, 10:23:12 AM

There was a witness who stayed which could have been the reason why. There was the police report and everything. Or its because I was a dumb kid and he told everyone it was her fault and I believed it. You can pick one of those solutions  :happy:
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Takumi

Guess why I'm necroing this thread!

I was on my way home from work tonight when I got sideswiped. I had a green light and cross traffic was stopped except for one guy. He says he had a green light and I ran it. I'm OK, but my car isn't.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Yikes...glad you're okay though. You're also fortune enough to have a second car.

Takumi

Thanks. I'm a little sore, but that's partially from work. The tow truck driver said the damage looked like it could be fixed (I'll post a picture later) but it may cost more to fix than the car's worth. We'll see...

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on August 10, 2012, 12:03:54 AM

I was on my way home from work tonight when I got sideswiped. I had a green light and cross traffic was stopped except for one guy. He says he had a green light and I ran it. I'm OK, but my car isn't.

yeccch.  I've had two cars shot out from under me with that exact same rationale.  I hope the police believed you! 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I hit a parked car in a parking lot on my second day of driving a delivery truck.  I cut it close, and turned the wheel before the back end had cleared the other vehicle.  My boss was known for two counties around as the biggest ______ that ever lived.  My coworkers all thought I was a goner.  He asked me who should pay for the claim.  I told him that's what the company has insurance for.  My coworkers really thought I was a goner.  They all stood up for me, saying I was a hard worker whom they didn't want to lose.  I kept my job.   :biggrin:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2012, 12:28:40 PM
yeccch.  I've had two cars shot out from under me with that exact same rationale.  I hope the police believed you! 

There were no witnesses or video, so he didn't have any evidence about who was telling the truth. Therefore, he couldn't cite anyone.

I'm pretty sure the car will be considered totaled. I remember the assessed tax value of the car being under $2000, and I doubt this will cost less than that to fix.

Edit: KBB private party value for the car is $2600. I still don't know if that'll get it fixed.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on August 10, 2012, 03:30:45 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2012, 12:28:40 PM

There were no witnesses or video, so he didn't have any evidence about who was telling the truth. Therefore, he couldn't cite anyone.

I'm pretty sure the car will be considered totaled. I remember the assessed tax value of the car being under $2000, and I doubt this will cost less than that to fix.

Edit: KBB private party value for the car is $2600. I still don't know if that'll get it fixed.
Does the car still drive with the metal crunched back? Doesn't look like any axle damage. If so, just drive it.

Takumi

It's not drivable. Something came loose from the axle.

Update: the car was officially declared a total loss today.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Special K

Quote from: texaskdog on June 07, 2012, 10:23:12 AM

Especially since he was speeding and following too close.

Special K

In HS, while heading home after swim practice, in a snow storm, guy runs a stop sign and stops in front of me.  Road was too slippery for stopping or evasive action, so I ended up hitting his front fender.  When police arrived, when asked for his DL, he handed the cop his Moose Lodge membership card.  Pretty sure he was intoxicated (my Dad knew the guy and thought that was a real possibility).  Was his fault, but the write up in the paper said only that I struck his car.

6a

Quote from: the forum software
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Quote from: Takumi on August 10, 2012, 12:03:54 AM

So today I was out stimulating the economic recovery (or whatever the hell) and I did this to an unfortunate lad who didn't do his left-right-left.

Looks bad, right?  This is mine, and it's my first accident in 21 years.

How those two compute I don't know and don't really care but it is somewhat amusing.  Both of us are fine, although I sure do know where my seat belt was sitting at the time. 

It's funny how your mind progresses.  I remember the anti lock kicking in, but I didn't stop in time.  But if you look at the damage, I was able to steer somewhat away from the impact (on my car) and not pop the airbags, so I think they did their job.  All in all it's pretty crazy and I think I'll find some new muscles I didn't know about tomorrow.

OracleUsr

I've been in accidents in all cars I've owned, none where the car got totalled:

1986 Acura Integra RS:  In 1994, I was driving east to campus one morning with my windshield frosted over and didn't realize how bad it was when I felt the car jerk and I heard this loud crunching.  I hit another car that was stopped on the side of the road...the car had done the same thing I had.  The police faulted all of us for not clearing our windshield.  Luckily, only the bumper was damaged on my car.

1986 Toyota Cressida:  Thanksgiving weekend, 1996.  I was on US 25 heading towards Asheville when a logging truck made a U-turn.  My brakes were iffy anyway, and I slammed on the brakes.  Too late, one of the logs hanging off of the truck slammed into my windshield.  The replacement cost almost counted as totalling the vehicle, but we repaired it anyway.

1992 Volvo 240:  1998, after getting my car inspected to return to NC from DC, I backed out and hit a car pulling into the driveway.  Not sure, but I don't think I caused a lot of damage to the other car.

2000, pulling out of my work place, the company truck didn't see me in time and ripped my bumper all to hell.  My father was kind enough to repair the damage.

BUT GET THIS:  That same weekend, I came out to drive my car down to the car pad for the repair and found a note on my windshield.  It was the neighbor's kid.  He said he hit my car.  I didn't think much of it until I got out of my car and saw the door.  The driver's side rear door was crushed!!  They paid for it, thankfully, but what a time.

2002 Volvo S60:  I almost got away with no accidents for two years until Christmas 2006.  I was backing out of my friend's driveway when I didn't see another friend's SUV.  The damage?  A huge dent in the driver's side rear door.

Then in 2011, I was in the parking lot at work when I saw this car coming right towards me.  It didn't even stop as it slammed into my car broadside.  The driver's side door wouldn't even close after that.  Even worse, it was an uninsured driver.  Her husband offered to fix the door (and the rear one too) for free.  Unfortunately, he didn't get the paint even close, so the car looked like crap until I traded it in.

Next time, I'm calling the police.

Last but not least, and this made me absolutely sick.

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid.  The day I drove the car off the lot, 5/17/12, I pulled into a Walgreens to take pictures to send to my friends and family.  I had a few problems adjusting to the engine, as I had only driven a hybrid once, so I pulled forward, and pulled back out.  I hear this loud snap and crunch.  I stop the car.  Another car, parked perpendicular to mine, had pulled out at the same time.  I looked in horror as I saw the damage:  the other car had ripped my rear bumper cover completely off at one side.  The police said the other driver was at fault, but the insurance company said otherwise and made me pay for my own repair.  The damage was heavy; $1000, half of which I had to pay as a deductible.  Even worse, the temporary repairs did not hold and I drove some distance with the cover dragging on the road.  Thankfully a local Toyota dealer did the repairs and it was like brand new again.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Brandon

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 09, 2013, 10:45:59 PM
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid.  The day I drove the car off the lot, 5/17/12, I pulled into a Walgreens to take pictures to send to my friends and family.  I had a few problems adjusting to the engine, as I had only driven a hybrid once, so I pulled forward, and pulled back out.  I hear this loud snap and crunch.  I stop the car.  Another car, parked perpendicular to mine, had pulled out at the same time.  I looked in horror as I saw the damage:  the other car had ripped my rear bumper cover completely off at one side.  The police said the other driver was at fault, but the insurance company said otherwise and made me pay for my own repair.  The damage was heavy; $1000, half of which I had to pay as a deductible.  Even worse, the temporary repairs did not hold and I drove some distance with the cover dragging on the road.  Thankfully a local Toyota dealer did the repairs and it was like brand new again.

Rule of thumb: if the other guy is deemed at fault by the police and gets the ticket, do not ever report it to your insurance company.  His/her insurance company is to pick it up 100%.  My agent was nice enough to give me this bit of advice.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DandyDan

I wrecked my old Chevy Cavalier on a rural road in NE Nebraska, basically going too fast when the road shifted from asphalt to gravel.  This was on the road that goes west from Herman, NE and occured at the Washington-Dodge Co line.  Apparently, Dodge Co didn't feel the need to warn anyone.  I've since learned to avoid gravel roads as much as possible, only using them when going to various relatives (they're farmers, naturally).  According to the NE highway map, this road is now all asphalt, so if I drove it today, I probably wouldn't have had that accident.

I hit deer with each of my Saturns.

When I worked for a courier outfit, basically driving a company van, I hit another deer making the overnight trip to Sioux City (this particular incident was the beginning of the end of my job there).  I also had another accident when I was driving the overnight route in town here in Omaha (thanks to the idiot regular driver getting himself suspended) and had an accident when a lady went through a blinking red light.  That one was deemed to be her fault, but I had a concussion and missed work for that.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

6a

Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2013, 11:11:41 PM

Rule of thumb: if the other guy is deemed at fault by the police and gets the ticket, do not ever report it to your insurance company.  His/her insurance company is to pick it up 100%.  My agent was nice enough to give me this bit of advice.

My agent, the responding officer, and the towing company were kind enough to tell me the exact opposite of this today.  Since this is my first wreck I'll see how it goes.

allniter89

Yes, Two, in the same car, a 1968 VW Bug, First, I was on my way to get my brakes fixed, they were so bad I had to pump them to stop (stupid teenager). I didnt get them pumped in time and hit the back of a car stopped at a red light. Girlfriend (current wife) hit the windshield, this was before(?) seatbelts were standard equipment in cars or worn regularity (1973). Didnt damage the windshield, small cut on gf head, large bruise on my right arm after she punched me. My rational was she knew the brakes were bad and she got in the car anyway so it was her fault too, didnt go over to well but we married exactly 3 years later.
Second wreck was on my 21st birthday the next year, heading home from the party with my best friend driving, (me passed out in the backseat  :pan:). He ran off the road onto the grass shoulder. overreacted and rolled the car, I remember waking up just as we rolled. It stopped on the roof and since it was a bug we got out and pushed it onto its wheels and drove away. Only damage was the left rear window broken (my hand went thru it during the roll and the right rear fender over the tire was pushed to the inside of the rear wheel.
While driving a taxi cab I jumped out of the merging lane too soon and right into the side of a passing Lincoln at 50mph, severe damage to both vehicles but I didnt lose my job. I was sorta the bosses pet, anytime he needed a driver I was available even if it was a double 12 hr shift. I wasnt a a$$ kisser, I loved to drive!probably had some $$ deducted from my paycheck, I dont remember.
In 20 yrs of driving a 18 wheeler the only "incidents" were hitting two deer  :clap:, one in a cabover truck at 62mph, no damage, the other in a Volvo cab @ 70mph. The hood, fenders and bumper of the truck were plastic so when we hit the front disinergrated (I mispelled that so bad spell check cant even figure it out, it offered incinerated  :-D), I spent a month at home while they replaced the front end. Wife has never had a ticket or accident in 40 yrs of driving :clap:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2013, 11:11:41 PMRule of thumb: if the other guy is deemed at fault by the police and gets the ticket, do not ever report it to your insurance company.  His/her insurance company is to pick it up 100%.  My agent was nice enough to give me this bit of advice.

I find that really depends on who the carriers are. I've tendered claims where the other driver was at fault to my own carrier (State Farm) and asked them to subrogate. I've gotten excellent service every time, much better and faster than the time I tendered a claim to the other driver's carrier (GEICO). True, you do have to pay your deductible initially (that is part of your contract with your carrier), but you recover it when your carrier gets paid by the other driver's carrier because they include it in their demand. In terms of service, think of it this way–you pay premiums to your carrier and it's in their interest to keep your business. You don't pay anything to the other carrier. Their motivation to assist you is more or less nil.

Another reason I prefer to do it this way is that it makes dealing with a potential UIM situation a lot easier. The claims department has experience dealing with underinsured motorists (and there are an awful lot of them out there–all "underinsured" means is their policy's limits of liability aren't sufficient to cover all the damages–if you carry the statutory minimum coverage, you run a serious risk of being underinsured as a practical matter). I've never wound up in a situation where I had a UIM claim, but it's a lot easier to have the carrier handle it from the start as opposed to you learning from the other driver's carrier that his limits are too low and then you have to tender the excess claim to your carrier as a UIM claim, prove exhaustion of limits, etc....

As long as your insurance carrier recovers everything they pay you, your premium should not increase because from an actuarial standpoint an accident in which you're not at fault is one that does not represent an increased risk of loss to your insurance carrier because of the way you drive.

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure I should say that I am an attorney and I spent nine years doing insurance coverage work, so I have an easy time dealing with insurance carriers and they can instantly tell I know what I'm doing. The key thing for people who don't have insurance experience is to understand what subrogation is. You can find ample explanations online. All major insurance carriers have a subrogation unit that can handle the situation where the other driver is at fault. The one time someone at State Farm tried to tell me I should tender the claim to the other carrier, I simply replied, "I'd rather deal with State Farm, and I know the subrogation unit is quite capable of getting you reimbursed." End of discussion–they handled the claim immediately.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

QuoteEver been involved in a Car Accident?
Nope. But I've deliberately crashed into cars many times.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.