News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 295- Fayetteville, NC

Started by Strider, January 03, 2013, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

A bit off-topic, looks like NCDOT do an upgrade of NC-24 and NC-210 where they briefly multiplexed north of I-295. http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=35.163863,-78.968421&z=16&t=s Does NCDOT upgrade that gap into full-freeway?

froggie

Quote from: Stephane DumasA bit off-topic, looks like NCDOT do an upgrade of NC-24 and NC-210 where they briefly multiplexed north of I-295. http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=35.163863,-78.968421&z=16&t=s Does NCDOT upgrade that gap into full-freeway?

Discussed twice in the North Carolina thread.

CanesFan27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 11, 2016, 10:01:55 PM
From NCDOT's Flickr page.  Yep, that's I-295.

Used as a prop only for the opening. The sign is no longer standing.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 19, 2016, 10:30:41 AM

So...it's definitely NC-295 then? :hmm:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on August 19, 2016, 11:45:13 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 19, 2016, 10:30:41 AM

So...it's definitely NC-295 then? :hmm:

Yes a post on seroads confirmed it.  I may get down there Monday or Tuesday after work for photos as well

Fixed quote. - rmf67

sparker

Whoa!  I've heard of "bait-and-switch", but this actually crosses the line for brazen pandering!  But given NC's penchant for putting I-signs on anything that moves, it shouldn't be surprising!

CanesFan27

Quote from: sparker on August 19, 2016, 03:29:42 PM
Whoa!  I've heard of "bait-and-switch", but this actually crosses the line for brazen pandering!  But given NC's penchant for putting I-signs on anything that moves, it shouldn't be surprising!

It is planned to be that route.  I believe this has happened before elsewhere.

As for NC interstates - if it meets standards and connects to the system - why not.

LM117

I guess using a mobile stand for the I-295 shield like they did for I-42 shield during the ribbon-cutting ceremony for US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro wasn't good enough.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 19, 2016, 03:39:29 PMAs for NC interstates - if it meets standards and connects to the system - why not.

+1

WashuOtaku

Does this mean I have to reverse the "Interstate" updates on I-295/NC 295 page on Wikipedia now?   :angry:

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 19, 2016, 10:13:29 PM
Does this mean I have to reverse the "Interstate" updates on I-295/NC 295 page on Wikipedia now?   :angry:
I have posted contributed photos of the new segment of the Loop showing the NC 295 signage, click the link at the top of the page to skip to the photos:
http://www.gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut295.html

sparker

My previous comment was more regarding NCDOT's record for premature "future" signage such as the previous "I-295" signage on this facility that simply eliminated the word "Interstate" in the red field of the shield.  I certainly concur that if a route has been approved and meets standards then, by all means, it should receive real (not prop!) shields.  I'd even go so far as to suggest that the segments of I-87 that currently meet standards receive shields, and per previous practice with I-73/74 in the Asheboro area, the sections that are limited access but technically don't meet standards (usually shoulders, from Knightdale to Tarboro) receive shields with "Future" in the upper red field.  And I have no doubt that eventually the entire Fayetteville loop will be Interstate-grade and receive actual I-295 signage.  But whoever is responsible for organizing the route-opening ceremony shouldn't have to stoop to deception to deliver their message!  Put an I-295 shield on the lectern, put it all over your brochures, put it anywhere except in the ground beside the road, where a reassurance shield would normally go.   Just my opinion; others may demur.       

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on August 19, 2016, 10:46:57 PM
I have posted contributed photos of the new segment of the Loop showing the NC 295 signage, click the link at the top of the page to skip to the photos:
Great photos; thanks!
The second photo shows how the ramp to 13 North ends at a stop sign, one of the reasons NC 295 can't be signed as I-295.

froggie

Quote from: CanesFan27As for NC interstates - if it meets standards and connects to the system - why not.

In this case, the new section meets standards but does not connect to the system, as the connection does not meet standards.

Quote from: wdcrft63The second photo shows how the ramp to 13 North ends at a stop sign, one of the reasons NC 295 can't be signed as I-295.

Technically, there are free-flowing ramp connections between Future 295 and I-95 North at that interchange, so it could theoretically pass.  What's preventing signing the loop as a full I-295 are substandard shoulders...especially the shoulders on the Cape Fear River bridge.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: bob7374 on August 19, 2016, 10:46:57 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 19, 2016, 10:13:29 PM

Bob, you duplicated several photos on that page.  The ones from Lou Corsaro are on the page twice in two separate places.  Same with the entire "Previously Taken Photographs 2005-2010" section.  Might want to look into fixing that.

bob7374

NCDOT has announced the next section of the Fayetteville Loop will open on Friday (12/2) from Bragg Blvd. to the All-American Freeway:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13316

The Ghostbuster

Are any of 295's exits numbered? I checked the "notorious" Google Maps, and it seemed to indicate that they were not.

froggie

mvak36

When are they going to be making the improvements to that section of 295 that is not up to Interstate standards? I didn't see anything in the 2018-2027 STI.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on December 01, 2016, 03:10:06 PM
When are they going to be making the improvements to that section of 295 that is not up to Interstate standards? I didn't see anything in the 2018-2027 STI.

Probably after the remainder of the loop is built.

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on December 01, 2016, 11:49:12 AM
NCDOT has announced the next section of the Fayetteville Loop will open on Friday (12/2) from Bragg Blvd. to the All-American Freeway:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13316
A short section but a big deal, since it completes the connection between I-95 and Fort Bragg.

bob7374

NCDOT announced today that it has accelerated the schedule to build the last segment of the Outer Loop between Camden Rd and I-95 by one year and therefore, the Loop's completion may come before 2025:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13358

Noticed that NCDOT again insists the Loop will be 39 miles long, despite the recently placed exit number at the northern end being 34. They've under counted loops before (Raleigh's Outer Loop), but over counting?

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on December 12, 2016, 10:26:18 PM
NCDOT announced today that it has accelerated the schedule to build the last segment of the Outer Loop between Camden Rd and I-95 by one year and therefore, the Loop's completion may come before 2025:

Noticed that NCDOT again insists the Loop will be 39 miles long, despite the recently placed exit number at the northern end being 34. They've under counted loops before (Raleigh's Outer Loop), but over counting?
I emailed NCDOT about this discrepancy, and here is their reply:
That is very observant of you to notice this discrepancy. While the 39 mile loop description does not match the mile marker designations, the additional mileage that has to be constructed accounts for the ramps at each end where it ties into I-95. Since these ramps are "at speed" connections, with the exception of the NB I-95 to SB 295 connection, they are considered a part of the FOL. Since they are ramps and not officially "freeways" they do not have the mile markers that correspond with the FOL mile markers. If you have further questions, feel free to respond here or contact me directly at rwise@ncdot.gov.

Randy Wise
Division Construction Engineer

bob7374

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 14, 2016, 07:58:25 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 12, 2016, 10:26:18 PM

I emailed NCDOT about this discrepancy, and here is their reply:
That is very observant of you to notice this discrepancy. While the 39 mile loop description does not match the mile marker designations, the additional mileage that has to be constructed accounts for the ramps at each end where it ties into I-95. Since these ramps are "at speed" connections, with the exception of the NB I-95 to SB 295 connection, they are considered a part of the FOL. Since they are ramps and not officially "freeways" they do not have the mile markers that correspond with the FOL mile markers. If you have further questions, feel free to respond here or contact me directly at rwise@ncdot.gov.

Randy Wise
Division Construction Engineer
Thanks for sending the e-mail. Interesting answer. If the extra 5 miles are due to the ramps, then it looks like they are adding the distance of the southbound and northbound lanes separately. If so, shouldn't they state the Loop is 73 miles long (34 x 2) + the extra 5?

bob7374

NCDOT has awarded the contract to build the southernmost section of the Loop from Camden Rd to I-95. The project to start in January will cost $130 million and should be complete by July 2021. The entire Loop is to be completed by 2022:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14661

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.