News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Potential (and short-fuse) ICC meet

Started by froggie, February 07, 2011, 01:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Maggie and I are leaning yes.  If we do go, we're going to drive up Saturday morning and tour some of the DC monuments, etc.

froggie

Duke:  the reason for the earlier start is that it actually provides more flexibility for those coming from more than a couple hours away.  Folks can do the tour part, and then decide whether or not to leave or do a later lunch.  I'm doing the tour part first both for this and because in my experience, the "lunch" part always runs later than expected.  Traffic (aside from church traffic) will also be at its lightest mid-morning.

True, it would require you to get up way early to make it, but you could also make it back home at a reasonable hour.

Doug:  if you can't make it, that's fine.  But Sunday will be the last day you can drive the ICC without paying the toll.

Duke87

Hmmm.... y'know, I'm getting that "do something crazy" urge all of a sudden (and it occurs to me that I may be able to do some of the drive down on Saturday... must inquire). When do I have to decide by?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteWhen do I have to decide by?

9:59am Sunday morning.

I would ask that everyone who does plan on attending shoot me a PM or an E-mail so I can give you my cell phone number, in the event that you'll be late getting to Shady Grove.   My intent is to start the tour no later than 10am, though I'm willing to delay that 10-15 minutes or so if I know someone is on their way but can't make it before 10.

Duke87

Okay, I've confirmed it: I have a place in SE PA to crash Saturday night.

So, I will be there after all!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

I won't be making this one, so you guys have fun. Too much to do this weekend. Plus, I'll be on the road next weekend.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

I was able to do a field check of the tour route yesterday.  Some of the stops along the tour are going to be "possible stops" that will depend on both conditions during the tour and the number of vehicles.  For about half the tour stops, parking is limited or is on residential side streets so the fewer vehicles we have, the better the chances of stopping at those locations...I'm going to try to be in the lead car and make the determination as we arrive at each stop.

I will have cue sheets available for those driving.  The plan is still to meet at the Shady Grove Metro station before 10am, so we can depart by 10am.  We'll be gathering at the main entrance near the larger of the two parking garages.  Parking is free at Metro stations on the weekends, so this shouldn't be a problem.

So far, I have 5 confirmed.  Anticipating the tour to take 2-2.5 hours, so we should be done by 12:30ish.  After which, everyone is free to go their own way, or we can all go to a nearby restaurant for a late post-tour lunch.

Alps

Wish I could make it, but I got put on a last-minute report that's due Monday, and there's a decent chance I'll need to work on it Sunday. Believe me, not how I want to be spending my weekend... Given the uncertainty, I can't end up in Maryland. I'll try to do my usual meet-time call.

froggie

Wish I'd have known that 2 weeks ago.  I moved it to Sunday in part because of your comments earlier.  Nevermind that the weather's going to be worse on Sunday.

Alps

Hey, wish I knew about the report more than 3 days ago :/

froggie

We have 10 confirmed, so hope to see everyone there later.  It's "a monsoon" out, so bring yer rain gear.

oscar

Here's my photo of the ICC meet group, near one of the overpasses on the part of the highway still under construction:

Front row:  Adam Prince with ____
Back row:  Oscar Voss, Anthony Costanzo, Doug Kerr, Adam Froehlig, Laura Bianca, Mike Pruett, Brian Polidoro.

Also, here's a photo of some of us post-meet at the local Red Hot and Blue restaurant:

Left to right:  Mike Pruett, Anthony Costanzo, Brian Polidoro, Adam Froehlig, Laura Bianca.

Please PM me with any corrections, additions, etc.  
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Not exactly my best face in the second photo.  Was a lot happier than that...at least until I got to Crystal City...

MDRoads

Me neither on the first.  Lots better though after some Memphis BBQ.

oscar

Maybe Maggie (also at most of the meet, but not in the photos) took a better shot of the group near the overpass.  I also took a second shot at Red Hot and Blue, which was a bit underexposed, but I can probably compensate for that if it's otherwise better than the one I posted.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CanesFan27

Oscar,

I haven't looked through our photos from Sunday yet.  I hope to get to them this weekend.  I have to go through the photos on teh tour of DC t hat froggie gave Maggie, Doug and I the day before first.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 13, 2011, 01:16:00 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 12, 2011, 02:10:21 AM
Interestingly enough, I will be driving through the area on March 4th on my way home from Massachusetts. Not really any chance of me staying another night so I can come home on the 5th though. If anyone's there on the 4th, however, I might be able to meet up with you.
When will you be coming through New Jersey?

Erm, as you probably guessed by my lack of a reply (I never noticed your post), that trip was postponed. I'll be driving up to Massachusetts on April 14 and home on April 16 now. And I will probably be coming through NJ around 10 AM, since I'm leaving here probably at 3 AM.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 12, 2011, 12:41:53 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 13, 2011, 01:16:00 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 12, 2011, 02:10:21 AM
Interestingly enough, I will be driving through the area on March 4th on my way home from Massachusetts. Not really any chance of me staying another night so I can come home on the 5th though. If anyone's there on the 4th, however, I might be able to meet up with you.
When will you be coming through New Jersey?

Erm, as you probably guessed by my lack of a reply (I never noticed your post), that trip was postponed. I'll be driving up to Massachusetts on April 14 and home on April 16 now. And I will probably be coming through NJ around 10 AM, since I'm leaving here probably at 3 AM.
I'll be at the Texarkana meet that weekend as part of my San Diego trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.