News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by NE2 - Today at 05:56:46 PM
ODOT was wrong about the policy, but it's only 1/2 mile between the roads, so it's a no-go whatever. Looks like an obvious candidate for a frontage road like one often sees at interchanges to a clump of businesses.
General Highway Talk / Re: Unpopular Anything Road-Re...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 05:49:24 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on Today at 01:35:01 PMInterstate numbers proposed by politicians should be treated as suggestions

Unfortunately, messages from politicians are inherently white-background, not yellow.
General Highway Talk / Re: Abandoned Rest Areas
Last post by steviep24 - Today at 05:47:21 PM
In NY I490 has former rest/parking areas in Churchville and Victor that are now used as truck inspection stations

The Lake Ontario State Parkway has this service area that was closed at least 40 years ago.
Northeast / Re: Underappreciated Aspect of...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 05:40:10 PM
I'm glad Delaware built DE 1 to have limited exits like the exits for Smyrna being on the south and north ends and not connecting to DE 6.  This way development stays on Route 13 and no one builds up the area outside town on Route 6 creating more big box retail and such.

Ditto with Dover, but now I see they did build ramps to DE 8 though. Still limiting interchanges at cities is the smart thing as proven by other roads of the same nature as the New Jersey Turnpike.
Traffic Control / Re: Signs on State-Maintained ...
Last post by Amaury - Today at 05:21:10 PM
On Interstate 90 eastbound, just past milepost 71:

Not exactly sure what happened. Before it needed repairs: https://maps.app.goo.gl/rMazFCNQ4VketSqv5
Traffic Control / Re: Signs on State-Maintained ...
Last post by Amaury - Today at 05:18:03 PM
Quote from: Amaury on April 06, 2024, 05:27:02 PMOn Interstate 5 northbound, just past milepost 61, this sign is heavily leaning backward:

You can see it more pronounced here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/9LjXxrhujKKnJxPK7

When it was still upright: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ehzxWYCheU9ek3cs8

Repaired!
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 05:17:41 PM
Assuming you're responding to Scott, I think he's making a joke that NV171 passes through LAS, the airport.
Northeast / Re: Underappreciated Aspect of...
Last post by jeffandnicole - Today at 05:12:32 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2024, 11:29:58 PMAnyone thinking that Gloucester County and South Jersey avoided congestion because of the Turnpike's lack of exits may need to look at Google's traffic maps, especially during rush hour. I've spent over 20 years dealing with daily 10-14 mile backups on 295, and delays exiting at Exit 3 off the Turnpike can be 20 minutes or greater some days.
I really think this was a genius design that no other major market did (DC, NY).
I mean you really would never guess on the NJTP you are in the equivalent of Tysons or Springfield in terms of the urban core...

...I also feel if not for NJ's ingenuity, had they waited til the interstate act, we would be stuck with all traffic on a 4 lane 295 and having to factor in Philly rush hour.  We are so lucky and spoiled.

Much of the Northeast was caught in a similar predicament.  There was a need for roads in the Northeast US that could handle greater volumes and faster speeds, but the feds weren't passing a much talked about interstate act.  So they built highways and bridges, only to have the interstate highway act finally pass.  Without a Jersey Turnpike, 95 in NJ probably would've been built fairly close to its original design, and the same with 295.  But that, along with anything that would've happened later, is completely anyone's guess.  And PennDOT, for what it's worth, took their good ol' time anyway on their interstates, so I could only imagine how the areas's traffic would've been.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 02:09:59 PMI am always amazed with how unbuilt up Salem and Gloucester County are, part of me thinks this is less the NJTP design and more a product of the lack of Philly growth and demand that otherwise would have consumed the land.

I'm probably not going to win this argument with an outsider, but Gloucester County is built up more than many on the Turnpike realize.  Sure, there's plenty of rural land the further south and east you go, and the trees alongside the Turnpike really do insulate the Turnpike from the surrounding area.  But the county has its share of congestion and Philly-related traffic.  There was quite a bit of growth from Philly, as evidenced by the 3 additional bridges that were built between the 1950's and 1970's serving the Philly area.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 02:09:59 PMI also feel if not for NJ's ingenuity, had they waited til the interstate act, we would be stuck with all traffic on a 4 lane 295 and having to factor in Philly rush hour.  We are so lucky and spoiled.

At least 295 from I-76/NJ 42 and points North was always 6 lanes.  It was widened south of I-76 (technically, south of Interchange 24) in the early 1990s.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Big Island roads
Last post by oscar - Today at 04:56:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 04:46:57 PMI'll be staying close to Waipio Valley Road.  Given that low range is necessary my thought is that is just better to hike it. 

I'll have to look into the Mauna Kea observatory.  I haven't kept a good account on what has been going with that since the recent eruptions.

Mauna Kea is a long-dormant volcano. Mauna Loa, on the other side of the Big Island, is still active (and occasionally threatens the cross-island HI 200, from which the Mauna Kea access road branches), as is the really-active but more distant Kilauea volcano.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Big Island roads
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 04:46:57 PM
^^^

I'll be staying close to Waipio Valley Road.  Given that low range is necessary my thought is that is just better to hike it. 

I'll have to look into the Mauna Kea observatory.  I haven't kept a good account on what has been going with that since the recent eruptions.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 04:35:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 03:59:10 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 02:14:46 PMI just finalized a trip to the big Hawaiian island this coming October.  Aside from knocking out a National Park and hiking Waipio Valley Road I don't have much of an itinerary of "must do" road stuff.  Thoughts from the board on what other roads are notable enough to prioritize? 

Worth noting, I'm not looking for a full island clinch.  I "probably" won't have a high clearance rental, but more to come on that.
No Unimogs for rent?

Haven't even looked for a rental in general.  Usually the rental part isn't a big deal for me given I have a family member at Enterprise.  I'm only interested in high clearance if I'm going to actually use it.
I'm not even too familiar about the topography or terrain on the big island. I know you can get around Maui in Oahu for the most part and a lot of different types of vehicles. The Unimog was a. Though I do wonder if it is possible to rent one there. I think I've seen maybe two of those in my entire life and both of them were in California. They weren't off-road either. They were on interstates.

The only road I was interested in on Maui which may have required 4WD and high clearance was Piilani Highway.  Trouble was the dirt segment was closed due to a mudslide when I visited.  Had it been open I was going to make an attempt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.