News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

According to NCDOT's Construction Progress Report website, work started on the final section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway (Future I-74) from I-40 to existing I-74 on December 1. The project completion date at this time is March 30, 2027.

Strider

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 11, 2022, 10:19:55 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on November 11, 2022, 02:54:00 AM
Curious if there will be any issues with large trucks and traffic in general using local streets to try to make the connection between US-52 and NC-74 until the direct freeway link opens next year.

I'm sure that is why NCDOT is discouraging through traffic (by posting the route as NC-74 temporarily).  If through traffic turns south on University Drive (NC-66) to get to US-52 northbound (either at Haines Mill Road or University Drive), that will add to the congestion but shouldn't cause gridlock since the through traffic will turn right onto the ramps.   My concern was that traffic would get GPS routed over to Exit 118 / NC-65 (Forum Parkway), which is almost straight inline with the current end of the Northern Beltway.  There's no roads that cross Grassy Creek anywhere in that area, and any attempt to go north on NC-66 will require you to go all the way to Tobaccoville and wind around to get to Exit 120 / Westinghouse Road.  That will be slow and no fun, but I can't imagine much traffic going that way.

One thing to be concerned about.  Local traffic is certainly going to use the new section of the Northern Bypass to access local businesses along University Drive during rush hour.  But if local traffic starts taking the Northern Beltway to access the shopping district and other businesses such as the many medical offices, this change could be a problem all day long.  And that traffic problem may continue even after the Northern Beltway is completed to connect with US-52.

Well, when I first drove on NC 74 West and then got off at NC 66/University Parkway, going south at that time was an headache but only because there is an interesting intersection with what I believe is called Stanleyville Dr? where the left lane can only turn left, and that causes backup. The intersection between University and Hanes Mill Rd was really backed up (due to close proximity to US 52 interchange). The traffic cleared up a little bit after the US 52/University Parkway interchange.

Traffic would be bad for a while until the NC 74 missing link to US 52 is complete.

ARMOURERERIC

When I look at Google satellite,  it almost looks like they are trying to get at least the 74 west CD ramps open to 52 north.

bob7374

bob7374

Google Maps has updated its Street View image along US 74 East (not West) at the site of the future I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass:

Other images are at: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html#photos

bob7374

I've posted my annual year-in-review about progress during 2022 in building I-73/I-74 in NC, along with that for NC's newest and future interstates to the Gribblenation blog: http://www.gribblenation.org/2023/01/i-73i-74-and-nc-future-interstates-year.html

nerdom

Quote from: bob7374 on January 02, 2023, 03:29:56 PM
I've posted my annual year-in-review about progress during 2022 in building I-73/I-74 in NC, along with that for NC's newest and future interstates to the Gribblenation blog: http://www.gribblenation.org/2023/01/i-73i-74-and-nc-future-interstates-year.html

The NC885 pull through has been corrected and placed adjacent to Chapel Hill sign. Noticed it in late November.

bob7374

Quote from: nerdom on January 03, 2023, 02:11:10 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 02, 2023, 03:29:56 PM

The NC885 pull through has been corrected and placed adjacent to Chapel Hill sign. Noticed it in late November.
Thanks. The revised signage was captured on Street View from November:
https://goo.gl/maps/PqmQqRDr9mikDYsq8

bob7374

NCDOT on January 24 advertised the project to replace the intersections of US 74 with NC 72 and NC 130 West in Robeson County to a single 'dumbbell' interchange (roundabouts at the ramps on both sides of the highway) to be let on Feb. 21. The project could begin by spring and is to be completed in early 2026. Here's the sign plan for what will become Exit 223:

Wonder why they chose Lumberton as one of the control cities? Isn't it easier to get there staying on US 74 (Future I-74) West? Also it appears on the East US 74 exit sign after you have gone through that city. The project does not revise the Creek Road intersection to the west, so US 74 will remain an expressway with a 60 MPH speed limit for 5 miles from just prior to Creek Road (Mile 220) through the new exit to the under construction Boardman exit (Exit 225) until the NC 41 to US 76 section is upgraded to interstate standards, a project currently not funded through 2033.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on January 26, 2023, 10:42:15 PM
NCDOT on January 24 advertised the project to replace the intersections of US 74 with NC 72 and NC 130 West in Robeson County to a single 'dumbbell' interchange (roundabouts at the ramps on both sides of the highway) to be let on Feb. 21. The project could begin by spring and is to be completed in early 2026. Here's the sign plan for what will become Exit 223:

Wonder why they chose Lumberton as one of the control cities? Isn't it easier to get there staying on US 74 (Future I-74) West? Also it appears on the East US 74 exit sign after you have gone through that city. The project does not revise the Creek Road intersection to the west, so US 74 will remain an expressway with a 60 MPH speed limit for 5 miles from just prior to Creek Road (Mile 220) through the new exit to the under construction Boardman exit (Exit 225) until the NC 41 to US 76 section is upgraded to interstate standards, a project currently not funded through 2033.

Taking NC Highway 72 West (going north) does take you to downtown Lumberton, therefore the control city makes sense.

sprjus4

The project does not revise the Creek Road intersection to the west
Couldn't that intersection simply be closed, or is there an overpass planned to be constructed here?

LM117

Wonder why they chose Lumberton as one of the control cities? Isn't it easier to get there staying on US 74 (Future I-74) West? Also it appears on the East US 74 exit sign after you have gone through that city.

There's no other town on NC-72 between US-74 and Lumberton, so NCDOT really had no choice.

If I were going to Lumberton from points east, I'd stay on US-74 and get off at NC-41.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

nerdom

Yeah. NC can really go out there with control cities. If you like this one, check out the cc's for NC42 at US64 near Bethel. Plenty of communities "skipped over" on that one.

Strider

Quote from: nerdom on January 29, 2023, 12:29:46 AM
Yeah. NC can really go out there with control cities. If you like this one, check out the cc's for NC42 at US64 near Bethel. Plenty of communities "skipped over" on that one.

I don't see a problem with the control cities for NC 42 in that area. Wilson is well-known city. Ahoskie is where NC 42/NC 11 meets US 13 and is bigger than most of the communities you mentioned along the route.

nerdom

Me neither, really. I just thought some were surprised about the distance of Lumberton from the exit. Not the fact that a better route exited further up the road.

Mapmikey

These cities don't make sense for both directions on US 64.

EB should be Oak City and Ahoskie
WB should be Pinetops and Wilson

Strider

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 30, 2023, 08:44:15 AM

These cities don't make sense for both directions on US 64.

EB should be Oak City and Ahoskie
WB should be Pinetops and Wilson

Oak City is not big enough to warrant a control city. Neither is Pinetops.

nerdom

I don't think the size of a city has ever kept it from being a control city. Plenty of towns smaller than these are used as control cities at freeway exits. Interstate control cities are larger, mostly. I get that Benson is at a major intersection, but damn, still feels flimsy.

ARMOURERERIC

Hell, a control city for my commute exit, Henry River, is an abandoned, defunct factory town.  Exit 119, I40.

wdcrft63

NCDOT is closing two roads in eastern Winston-Salem in connection with the construction of I-74 between US 421 and I-40.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-02-13-two-forsyth-county-roads-permanently-closed-for-construction-project.aspx

ahj2000

Sorry if it has been covered already, but why are there not plans for there to be an interstate number on the western loop? Seems like with NC's penchant for turning everything into an Interstate, i274 makes a lot more sense than NC 452

Mapmikey

Quote from: ahj2000 on February 15, 2023, 02:47:26 PM
Sorry if it has been covered already, but why are there not plans for there to be an interstate number on the western loop? Seems like with NC's penchant for turning everything into an Interstate, i274 makes a lot more sense than NC 452

It will be I-274.

The Ghostbuster

I think the Interstate 274 designation should only run along the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway from Interstate 40 to US 52/future Interstate 74/future Interstate 285. The portion from US 158 to Interstate 40 should have the NC 452 designation. I also think the portion of present Interstate 74 along the old US 311 that is being bypassed by the WSNB should become Interstate 474 instead of NC 192 (although I am confident the proposed NC 192 boulevard between Interstate 40 and US 421/Salem Parkway mentioned on Wikipedia will never be built).

wdcrft63

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 15, 2023, 03:39:58 PM

It will be I-274.
I seem to recall that there were ideas to complete the loop with a Southern Beltway. Is there any life in this idea?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 15, 2023, 07:28:38 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 15, 2023, 03:39:58 PM

It will be I-274.
I seem to recall that there were ideas to complete the loop with a Southern Beltway. Is there any life in this idea?

None. There is no large enough population south of I-40 at this time that would warrant such a route nor issues with the existing routes now to justify a bypass. NCDOT has no information, maps, or plans at this time either; so it remains only an idea.

Regarding an earlier comment, NC 452 was established when it appeared construction was going to begin around early 2000 for the western section to be first. Of course, that fell through and since then discussions of I-274 came up as its new designation. Officially, the unbuilt western section is NC 452, but that does not mean they will not change that when they eventually start construction on the western section... someday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.