News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-14 in Texas

Started by Grzrd, November 21, 2016, 05:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I'm at that In-N-Out all the time given I live right next to it. Not sure I've ever met anyone who would go there just to be seen.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 25, 2022, 03:12:25 PM
I'm at that In-N-Out all the time given I live right next to it. Not sure I've ever met anyone who would go there just to be seen.

Not really my opinion.  Bill Burr said that once, but you get my point. 

In my opinion most high priced restaurants don't really have very good food.  You just go to show everyone you can eat there. 

bwana39

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 25, 2022, 07:11:55 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 25, 2022, 03:12:25 PM

Not really my opinion.  Bill Burr said that once, but you get my point. 

In my opinion most high priced restaurants don't really have very good food.  You just go to show everyone you can eat there.

The problem with high priced restaurants is they have  a very narrow specialty window and then they add items that are outside their specialty ESPECIALLY at the lower price points. It is kind of like ordering enchiladas at an Asian restaurant.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

Quote from: ethanhopkin14In my opinion most high priced restaurants don't really have very good food.  You just go to show everyone you can eat there.

The terms "In-N-Out" and "high priced food" do not belong together. I'll agree In-N-Out is at least a trendy restaurant chain and the company typically opts to build new locations in upper income areas. However their prices are very low compared to other trendy burger chains. Two people can eat at In-N-Out on the money that just one person has to spend to eat at Five Guys.

In-N-Out has been around a long time even though it is only in recent years the locations have been popping up in the Texas Triangle and now lately on Colorado's Front Range. They don't make the best burger money can buy but it's good relative to the price. Their fries are arguably a bit bland, but that might be because they're just fresh-cut Idaho potatoes. I think the factor that makes In-N-Out popular is their fast service. It's easy to burn up 30 minutes being stuck in a drive-thru lane at Whataburger. That's not the case with In-N-Out, not unless the restaurant just opened and half the people in town have descended on the place at once.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 26, 2022, 11:18:53 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14In my opinion most high priced restaurants don't really have very good food.  You just go to show everyone you can eat there.

The terms "In-N-Out" and "high priced food" do not belong together. I'll agree In-N-Out is at least a trendy restaurant chain and the company typically opts to build new locations in upper income areas. However their prices are very low compared to other trendy burger chains. Two people can eat at In-N-Out on the money that just one person has to spend to eat at Five Guys.

In-N-Out has been around a long time even though it is only in recent years the locations have been popping up in the Texas Triangle and now lately on Colorado's Front Range. They don't make the best burger money can buy but it's good relative to the price. Their fries are arguably a bit bland, but that might be because they're just fresh-cut Idaho potatoes. I think the factor that makes In-N-Out popular is their fast service. It's easy to burn up 30 minutes being stuck in a drive-thru lane at Whataburger. That's not the case with In-N-Out, not unless the restaurant just opened and half the people in town have descended on the place at once.

Maybe more clarity.  The comment about In-N-Out and high priced restaurants were two completely different thoughts.  I first went with the analogy about going to specifically the In-N-Out on Hollywood Blvd. just to be seen.  It was contested.  I tried another angle and went with another analogy of high priced restaurants are usually not very good, but only meant for you to be seen in them.  It was just bad luck these two examples both dealt with eating establishments.

I do apologize that those two thoughts did seem like they were one thought.  They were not intended to be.

I by no means think In-N-Out is high priced, if anything its the opposite. 

Bobby5280

There are various places around the US that have become more douchey than ever. The Los Angeles metro fits the bill with its overall punishing high cost of living and enclaves of "it people" neighborhoods. It's too bad douchebags are co-opting In-N-Out into one of their status symbols rather than the chain being something that can appeal to anyone regardless of their income class. Some people in this part of the country get turned off by In-N-Out because of its California roots and because it's a thing "loved" by a lot of rich Californians. So they reject it and stick with being stuck in that Whataburger drive thru.

Santa Fe used to be a pretty neat, artsy place. Thanks to so much movie/TV production happening in New Mexico in recent years, along with the influx of rich Californians, they've pretty much ruined the place. It's a high cost, douchebag zone now. It's a status symbol for rich people to own homes in Santa Fe in addition to the usual spots in LA or NYC. What's really sad is a lot of people who had lived in Santa Fe long before it turned into a rich people playground have been literally priced out of town. The appraised value of their homes goes way up. Then their property taxes go right up with it. They get forced to sell their homes and leave town.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for a high quality dinner. But the restaurant really has to bring their A-game. I love a really good steak for instance. With that being said, I've never been into the "fine dining" thing, where you have to wear a suit to enter the place and need to make reservations days or weeks in advance. I think that's really a thing where people go to pay a ridiculous amount of money to be seen. I'd rather spend $70 on a high grade rib eye and still be able to wear Levi's 501s while enjoying it.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 26, 2022, 06:05:09 PM
Some people in this part of the country get turned off by In-N-Out because of its California roots and because it's a thing "loved" by a lot of rich Californians. So they reject it and stick with being stuck in that Whataburger drive thru.

Wow, I don't know if I have ever seen anything better said.  Living in Austin with four In-N-Outs, there is such a divide (In-N-Out v Wataburger).  Most people will be super defiant with In-N-Out just because it's a California thing, and everyone in Austin hates all things California because they keep moving here.  What they are missing out on is a good burger and good service that's quick even when the line is long in favor of the world's longest drive through at a fast food joint.  It used to be just at odd times, like 2 or 3 in the morning, but now it's almost all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wataburger.  I love In-N-Out.  I am not making a choice.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2022, 12:09:36 PM
Five Guys >>> In-N-Out
Eh, I love both. In-N-Out is just great for the money can't beat it. Good food and consistency is great. Five Guys is usually pretty good on quality and consistency as well. I love their fries but damn they're expensive. Took five friends out a few months and that shit cost almost $100. Same thing at In-N-Out would be maybe 50-60 dollars at most.

Bobby5280

I like Whataburger alright. We have 2 locations in Lawton. When I first moved to this area there were four locations in town, then 3. Now just 2. The burgers there are really good. But I just don't use the drive-thru lane; I always go inside to order. And that takes long enough as it is.

It has been a couple or so years since Five Guys opened a store in Lawton. It's in a building on Cache Road shared by Jimmy Johns and a Red Wing Shoes shop. A new Firehouse Subs store opened next door last year. It's within rock throwing distance to Jimmy Johns. I've been to that Five Guys store only a couple or so times. Just down the street there is a S&B Burgers restaurant at 38th & Cache Rd in a former IHOP building. S&B is based in OKC; they make some really good burgers. Wayne's Drive Inn is a Lawton-based burger joint that functions similar to Sonic locations. The burgers are better and their 2 stores have big green and red neon signs. Burgess Grill in Downtown Lawton is another popular local spot with good burgers. The Meers Store out in the Wichita Mountains is a popular tourist spot. Their burgers used to be awesome, but I think the place has gone downhill over the past 20 years.

In-N-Out would just kill it if they opened a store in Lawton, despite all the other competition with burger-oriented restaurants. But Lawton probably just isn't high income enough for In-N-Out. They're leaving money on the table not opening any locations in Oklahoma. OKC, Tulsa, Lawton, Stillwater, Norman, etc are all within reach of the In-N-Out distribution center in Fort Worth.

Plutonic Panda

Yeah In-N-Out should open in Oklahoma but not expand any further. Quality control is key.

silverback1065

in and out's fries are trash. their burgers are delicious!

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 26, 2022, 10:06:48 PM
in and out's fries are trash. their burgers are delicious!
Animal Style version is pretty good. For me Chick-Fil-A fries with house sauce is the best.

Thegeet

I've never been to In-N-Out.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Thegeet on February 26, 2022, 10:49:44 PM
I've never been to In-N-Out.
Worth a try at least once. They have pretty decent milkshakes too.

Some really good and less mentioned burgers I've gotten are from Braum's.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 26, 2022, 10:50:47 PM

I have a soft spot for a joint that'll do a "bag-o-burgers" since that was a thing at the A&W in my hometown.
If you don't hit up a Braums while driving through Oklahoma, what are you even doing?  For Midwest folks, Braums is like if Kwik Trip and Culvers had a baby that had a full produce section.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 27, 2022, 12:19:53 AM

I have a soft spot for a joint that'll do a "bag-o-burgers" since that was a thing at the A&W in my hometown.
If you don't hit up a Braums while driving through Oklahoma, what are you even doing?  For Midwest folks, Braums is like if Kwik Trip and Culvers had a baby that had a full produce section.
$5 for a bag of burgers great stuff. I'll add cheese and onions.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 27, 2022, 03:04:50 AM

We get the bag of burgers a lot, since my wife and I have different schedules. I'll get a bag of burgers and eat two of them, then when my wife gets up she'll eat two (they're surprisingly not that bad cold), and the fifth one ends up getting eaten later.

Braum's doesn't really have anything bad on the menu, but I wouldn't want to get anyone's hopes up from out of state. It's a solid fast food restaurant, but that's all the restaurant is...but the ice cream side and grocery side are wonderful, and the milk is so good I've basically come to the conclusion I'll never live farther than one state away from Oklahoma.

Five Guys >>> In-N-Out

If you're talking about the prices, yeah. Otherwise, quit being wrong on the forum. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2022, 06:14:08 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 27, 2022, 03:04:50 AM

We get the bag of burgers a lot, since my wife and I have different schedules. I'll get a bag of burgers and eat two of them, then when my wife gets up she'll eat two (they're surprisingly not that bad cold), and the fifth one ends up getting eaten later.

Braum's doesn't really have anything bad on the menu, but I wouldn't want to get anyone's hopes up from out of state. It's a solid fast food restaurant, but that's all the restaurant is...but the ice cream side and grocery side are wonderful, and the milk is so good I've basically come to the conclusion I'll never live farther than one state away from Oklahoma.
This is spot on! Their milk is second to none.

hotdogPi

Austin-Houston > I-14 > any fast food restaurant
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Braum's ice cream is quite good.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2022, 06:14:08 AM

Five Guys >>> In-N-Out

If you're talking about the prices, yeah. Otherwise, quit being wrong on the forum. :D

Well, I'm not wrong.  But, to be fair, note that I've cherry picked the comparisons.  I have never been to Whataburger or Fuddrucker's (I worked with a devotee, though, but our local one got replaced by a Hooters).  I also am not saying that Five Guys has the absolute best burger out there.

But yeah, given all the hype, I have found In-N-Out to be a notch above Burger King -- a profound disappointment.

Then again, if only I could find a Big Kahuna burger, for that is a tasty burger.

rte66man

When Braums changed from a 1/3 lb to a 1/4 lb a few years ago, the quality dropped quite significantly. I know that before the change, Bruams butchered and prepped their own meat. Wonder if they still do that.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on February 27, 2022, 10:04:06 AM

When Braums changed from a 1/3 lb to a 1/4 lb a few years ago, the quality dropped quite significantly. I know that before the change, Bruams butchered and prepped their own meat. Wonder if they still do that.
Do they not offer a 1/3 anymore? I could have sworn they still do.

Regarding Big Kahuna burger, I've always wondered where that came from. If Tarantino had it made or ordered it from somewhere and rebranded it. Either way they made that burger look amazing. It was probably cold by the time Samuel L Jackson ate it.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 27, 2022, 10:11:17 AM
Quote from: rte66man on February 27, 2022, 10:04:06 AM

Do they not offer a 1/3 anymore? I could have sworn they still do.

Regarding Big Kahuna burger, I've always wondered where that came from. If Tarantino had it made or ordered it from somewhere and rebranded it. Either way they made that burger look amazing. It was probably cold by the time Samuel L Jackson ate it.

On that note, if you go to McDonalds in Paris, a 1/4 Pounder is called a 1/4 Pounder contrary to popular belief.  But when in Paris, if you want fast food, go to Quick Burger.  It's pretty good. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.