News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Complete NC 540 Project

Started by wdcrft63, March 27, 2018, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

Quote from: Traffic on March 17, 2021, 10:38:12 PM
It's a haul road for dump trucks and such.  The Contractor 's vehicles use this ramp to access a nearby asphalt plant.   This way the vehicles do not have to worry about constantly trying to blend with the Interstate traffic; it keeps the construction vehicles separate.  It is temporary and will be demolished later in the project.

Thank you for answering that question. I hope all the newcomers apppreciate all the road construction in Wake. Now if we could get all the trash picked up and replacements for the sun-faded Beltline and I-540 overhead signs. Both must be appalling after so much hype given to the area nationally.

tolbs17

Check this out!

Google Earth has far away imagery from December 2020 finally. Thank God..

A little off topic, but see how the beltways are getting built. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, yes!!

The Ghostbuster

Now if only Google Maps could be similarly updated. They always seem to drag their feet on updating their maps' satellite images.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 01, 2021, 11:12:41 AM
Now if only Google Maps could be similarly updated. They always seem to drag their feet on updating their maps' satellite images.
And it's from 2016 I believe.

tolbs17

What kinda bothers me is the Triangle Blvd interchange that has not been extended since 2005. It's still stubs.

http://prntscr.com/11s6r85

architect77

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 20, 2021, 10:38:05 PM
What kinda bothers me is the Triangle Blvd interchange that has not been extended since 2005. It's still stubs.

Is that missing section badly needed? I think we need more trees and I'd hate to see that little cluster lost to this extension.

tolbs17

Quote from: architect77 on April 23, 2021, 02:44:43 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on April 20, 2021, 10:38:05 PM

Is that missing section badly needed? I think we need more trees and I'd hate to see that little cluster lost to this extension.
No, it's for a future extension once they run out of room for development.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on December 14, 2020, 09:28:47 PM
Starting around January 4, there will be closures on Old McCullers Road, which is expected to last about 3 months. Part of Tech Road will also be closed.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-12-14-temporary-closure-complete-540-construction.aspx

Another closure involving Old McCullers Road will begin around May 24.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-05-20-closure-complete-540-construction.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

I hope all of you have seen the drone video and rendering some guy has of this interchange. I found it by searching the highways and interchange names on youtube.

OK here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvuZdbkYbOI

sprjus4

Quote from: architect77 on May 23, 2021, 08:20:28 AM
I hope all of you have seen the drone video and rendering some guy has of this interchange. I found it by searching the highways and interchange names on youtube.

OK here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvuZdbkYbOI
The interchange configuration has changed since that rendering came out.

sprjus4

^

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 07, 2020, 07:12:26 PM
I've obtained the construction plans for the three active contracts from NCDOT, and they reveal that the design shown in tolbs17's post from February is in fact the final design:

And for comparison, the preliminary design:

It still features the huge loop flyover hybrid roundabout-like thing, but shifted around, and with a few ramps now being direct. Rather than almost completely retaining the existing US 70 trumpet, the new design completely obliterates it and even feeds the westbound US 70 mainline onto the big loop. (US 70 still has two-lane mainline continuity up to the merge and from the split with I-40 as it does now.)

I only have the signage and striping plans since the roadway plans weren't finished yet, but even the plans I do have aren't actually finalized yet and the details are subject to change. Some highlights:

All three lanes of eastbound NC 540 will be diverted onto the exit, which will ultimately be restriped down to two lanes when the last section of 540 opens. Both directions will be numbered simply Exit 36 with no A/B/C suffixes, I guess since trying to number the mess of exits around the big loop would be a nightmare factoring in US 70's own exit numbering.

(North is to the left here.)

Each of the three lanes from EB 540 will go to its own ramp: one to I-40/US 70 WB, one to US 70 EB, and one to I-40 EB. NC 540 is still being signed as just "Triangle Expwy" with no control cities or indirectly signed routes, matching newer signage elsewhere. Interestingly, rather than changing I-40 Exit 309 into Exits 309A, -B, and -C, the exits for 540 will be numbered separately as 310A-B, with 309 remaining the number for US 70.

This is hard to show with screenshots since the necessary details are spread across several different slices of the plan diagrams, but the ramp from WB 540 to EB 70 (the one connecting from the big flyover loop directly to the US 70 mainline) will be paved, but closed until the last section of 540 opens. While completely useless now, it does seem odd that they're not just opening it right away, since they'll need to sign and stripe it anyway, and will now need to replace signs that they otherwise wouldn't need to.

I also notice that this new design makes it so that both directions of I-40 have one dedicated ramp for each of the three movements to 540 WB, 540 EB, and 70 EB. The big flyover loop is only for movements coming from NC 540 or US 70.

(No mention of future I-42 overlays on any of the signage plans, though this doesn't really matter and would only serve to further clutter the plans.)

The rest of the plans are pretty standard and not particularly noteworthy, aside from the short section of existing 540 between US 1 and NC 55 having its directionality changed from north/south to east/west, which makes sense.

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia says the segment of NC 540 between NC 55 and Interstate 40 will be completed by approximately 2023, and the segment between Interstate 40 and Interstate 87 will be completed by approximately 2033: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_540_and_North_Carolina_Highway_540. Does this sound accurate?

fillup420

I'm interested to see if the mile markers end up aligning, and where they would put the gap if they don't

tolbs17

the existing bridges are in great condition. Now they are being replaced.....

tolbs17

Any some good interchange ideas for NC-540, I-87 (Knightdale bypass) to I-540? Other than a 3 level stack? Maybe braided ramps can be used at Poole Rd. Just my suggestions.

bob7374

Quote from: fillup420 on May 24, 2021, 05:05:10 PM
I'm interested to see if the mile markers end up aligning, and where they would put the gap if they don't
Hopefully they will, but remember that they had problems with the mileage when they first opened NC 540. The original exit numbers between US 64 and NC 54 were about 15 miles less than they should have been. You would hope they wouldn't forget about a section of unbuilt road again.

wdcrft63

NCDOT obviously intends to count mileage clockwise all the way around the beltway. On NC 540 the first exit south of I-40 (NC 54) is Exit 69.

fillup420

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 21, 2021, 06:23:41 PM
NCDOT obviously intends to count mileage clockwise all the way around the beltway. On NC 540 the first exit south of I-40 (NC 54) is Exit 69.

yes, thats my point.

Mile markers begin going north/east at I-40, currently end at 26 (US 64). Mileage picks back up on the south end of the loop at 54 (NC 55). I am interested to see how close they get to the projected 28 miles of roadway in the actual build. If the alignment has changed at all, there will need to be a slight gap in the exit numbers, or the some/all exits will need to be renumbered. I think i know which is easier..

tolbs17

LM117

Beginning around August 16, Johnson Pond Road between Ten Ten Road and Optimist Farm Road will be closed for approximately 5 months.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-08-02-c540-construction-closure.aspx

Plutonic Panda

Great news for this project:

QuoteWASHINGTON — U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg today announced that the U.S. Department of Transportation's Build America Bureau (the Bureau) has provided
up to $499.5 million to the North Carolina Turnpike Authority (NCTA) for the Complete 540 Phase 1 Project (the Project). The Department provides Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) and other surface transportation infrastructure financing through the Bureau.

As part of COVID-19 relief to borrowers, this loan will replace the current TIFIA loan that the Bureau provided to NCTA for the Project in December 2019. The lower interest rate on the new loan will provide NCTA significant interest cost savings. The loan proceeds will finance part of the construction of the Project, which consists of a 17.1-mile six-lane extension of the existing Triangle Expressway Toll road.

It is the first phase of a larger project to complete the 540 Outer Loop around greater Raleigh area. Once the Loop is fully complete, it will improve mobility for trips and reduce forecasted congestion on the existing roadway network in the Project area with substantial reduction in travel times. It will also provide more route choices for those who live, work or travel though the area.

Procurement of the Project was split into small segments to provide additional participation opportunities for local design and construction industry, and for contractors of various sizes and resources, including disadvantaged business enterprises (DBE) to participate. Approximately $80 million in work is to be provided by DBE. Project construction is already underway and is on budget. NCTA expects to open the Project by July 2023.

- https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-announces-4995-million-loan-north-carolina-turnpike

LM117

tolbs17

Isn't it funny that the New Bethel Church Road overpass is being replaced for the third time?! LOL!!  :-D :-D :-D

It was first built in 1988, then replaced in 2007, and now it's being replaced again in 2021!!

NJRoadfan

For any locals that want a good view of NC-540 construction, take a ride over to the Fanny Brown Rd. overpass. It has a really good vantage point in both directions. Also drove past the future Holly Springs Rd. interchange. The area is unrecognizable with the clear cutting of all the trees. Don't know how well a diverging diamond is going to work here given the thru traffic volumes on Holly Springs Rd. and the relocated Kildaire Farm Rd. intersection being just to the north.

sprjus4

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 31, 2021, 08:27:51 PM
For any locals that want a good view of NC-540 construction, take a ride over to the Fanny Brown Rd. overpass. It has a really good vantage point in both directions. Also drove past the future Holly Springs Rd. interchange. The area is unrecognizable with the clear cutting of all the trees. Don't know how well a diverging diamond is going to work here given the thru traffic volumes on Holly Springs Rd. and the relocated Kildaire Farm Rd. intersection being just to the north.
Any pictures?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.