News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible Salt Lake City meet: gauging interest

Started by US 89, October 06, 2019, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

After discussing with some fellow road enthusiasts, I’d be interested in possibly hosting a meet in and around Salt Lake. The meet would feature a variety of road-related sights, including some old bridges, abandoned alignments, new construction, and innovative intersection designs.

This would be a summer meet. While I’d like to do this next summer, there are way too many variables in real life for me to even commit to hosting this in 2020, much less throw out any specific date options. That said, I’d likely have this in June, which is late enough for the high mountain roads to be open but also early enough that most of the foothills should still be green.

cl94

Very interested if it happens and June is a time I can probably get away from Albany. I've never seen the inland west as anything but brown, so it would be cool to see things green out there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

I might be interested considering I need to knock out a visit to my brother sometime next year and it isn't far from Salt Lake City.  Emphasis on mountain roads and abandoned alignments is up my alley. 

A.J. Bertin

I would be quite interested in this if I can swing it. However, if this happens in 2020, it's unlikely that I'd be able to make it. The road meet calendar for the spring and summer of 2020 is filling up rather quickly. I'll be hosting my Outer Banks NC "city meet" in April, but then I also really want to try to go to the San Antonio TX meet in May.

The chances of me going to Salt Lake City, along with the other meets I've got my eye on for 2020, are very low. But that's just me. If you've got the desire to host this and some people have expressed an interest and an ability to go, I say go for it!
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

No reason to make this a weekend mountain hop.  Might be able to get I-84 out of it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Doubtful, since next year is already committed to two 2-week vacations. Might have to if it becomes meet of the year.

corco

Assume I'll be there, since this is as close as a roadmeet will be to Boise barring a Boise meet one day

Rover_0

I live in Salt Lake City, so the outlook is good. That said, I'll have to keep a close eye on my schedule.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

jpi

If this ends being summer 2021 I may be able to swing it similar to how I did Denver back in 2015, roughly a 2 day drive for me from middle TN
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on October 08, 2019, 06:49:15 PM
If this ends being summer 2021 I may be able to swing it similar to how I did Denver back in 2015, roughly a 2 day drive for me from middle TN

I'm in the same boat here. If this happens in 2021, there's definitely a greater chance that I'd be able to make it than if it's in 2020.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 08, 2019, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: jpi on October 08, 2019, 06:49:15 PM

I'm in the same boat here. If this happens in 2021, there's definitely a greater chance that I'd be able to make it than if it's in 2020.
2021 it is. Thanks guys.
</US 89, hopefully>

cl94

Honestly, 2021 would PROBABLY be better for me as well. I'd certainly make it to a meet this year, but 2021 wouldn't require me to sacrifice other travel plans to make this work.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US 89

Sounds like there's significantly more interest in having this in 2021 than 2020, which is fine by me. Again, we're far enough out that I can't fully commit to this idea just yet, but I will pencil in May or June 2021 as an ideal time for this meet.

csw

It seems this meet has been moved to 2021, but I will probably be spending my summer of 2020 in SLC. So if you (US 89) have an itinerary sketched out by then, I'd be interested in seeing it so I can check out some of the sights myself. Or if you'd like to meet up and do a mini "pre-meet" I'd be open to that too.

BigManFromAFRICA88

I would be game for whichever as long as I can make it back to SLC and get it done during my short summer break when I get back from college.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.