News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: webny99 on December 01, 2022, 10:40:23 PM
I saw a take today that the World Cup is now a bigger deal in the US than the World Series. I haven't followed soccer at all, but curious if anyone thinks that's true, and/or has any thoughts on the apparent shift.

Ever since the Brewers were eliminated from contention in the NL Central a few months ago, I've had zero interest in Baseball.  The WS is still going?

Mike

Ted$8roadFan

I saw a take today that the World Cup is now a bigger deal in the US than the World Series. I haven't followed soccer at all, but curious if anyone thinks that's true, and/or has any thoughts on the apparent shift.

It's certainly as compelling as the World Series. I don't normally follow soccer either, but the decision to hold this year's World Cup in the late fall was a masterstroke.

Bruce

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 02, 2022, 05:31:39 AM

It's certainly as compelling as the World Series. I don't normally follow soccer either, but the decision to hold this year's World Cup in the late fall was a masterstroke.

It's awful for anyone who likes soccer. All the league schedules have been adjusted, lots of pre-tournament injuries due to the shortened summer offseason, and the missing summer vibes that should come with a World Cup as a Northern Hemisphere viewer. No outdoor viewing parties this year, it's too damn cold.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on December 02, 2022, 06:27:23 AM
No outdoor viewing parties this year, it's too damn cold.

Kansas City still representing.

1995hoo

I think the World Cup being a big deal in the US is not all that surprising, at least when the US team is playing (I don't recall Russia 2018 getting much attention at all after the qualifying debacle). If there's one thing the US does well and that many Americans get into, it's a "big event," and the World Cup is undoubtedly that.

To some extent, for casual sports viewers, I think the World Cup is sort of like hockey at the Winter Olympics–they watch that event and then go back to ignoring it for the next four years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on December 02, 2022, 12:50:58 AM

Ever since the Brewers were eliminated from contention in the NL Central a few months ago, I've had zero interest in Baseball.  The WS is still going?

Mike
Google might be able to tell you.

CoreySamson

I've watched more WC games live than I did watching WS games live this year, and my Astros were in the WS, so I guess it might be a bigger deal for me. The US vs. Wales and US vs. Iran games were some of the most tense games I've ever watched (It helps when you are watching on the biggest TV screen in Oklahoma with at least 60 other college student soccer fans from around the world; the Wales game in particular was crazy with all the college students from Europe present). Game 6 of the WS was very fun to watch, however. For me it's a wash.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 02, 2022, 10:58:12 AM
I've watched more WC games live than I did watching WS games live this year, and my Astros were in the WS, so I guess it might be a bigger deal for me. The US vs. Wales and US vs. Iran games were some of the most tense games I've ever watched (It helps when you are watching on the biggest TV screen in Oklahoma with at least 60 other college student soccer fans from around the world; the Wales game in particular was crazy with all the college students from Europe present). Game 6 of the WS was very fun to watch, however. For me it's a wash.

Since most of the sports media is driven by 40+ old white dudes, I think they underestimate the amount of millennials who would much rather watch a game of soccer than a game of baseball, no matter who is playing.

ran4sh

The main part of the millennial generation is getting close to age 40 anyway. (Never mind the fact that there's no way soccer is more popular than baseball for millennials)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ran4sh on December 02, 2022, 11:52:07 AM
The main part of the millennial generation is getting close to age 40 anyway. (Never mind the fact that there's no way soccer is more popular than baseball for millennials)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipbondy/2018/01/08/soccer-will-soon-be-americas-third-favorite-spectator-sport/?sh=6ce2ec903c53

Maybe not millennials, but Gen Z and Gen Alpha 100%.

NWI_Irish96

Final Group H table:

Portugal 6
South Korea 4 (4 GS, 4 GA)
Uruguay 4 (2 GS, 2 GA)
Ghana 3

Portugal allows a meaningless (to them) goal to South Korea late that jumps them over Uruguay. Hmmm . . .
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 02, 2022, 12:22:55 PM
Final Group H table:

Portugal 6
South Korea 4 (4 GS, 4 GA)
Uruguay 4 (2 GS, 2 GA)
Ghana 3

Portugal allows a meaningless (to them) goal to South Korea late that jumps them over Uruguay. Hmmm . . .

My boy Sonny with a ridiculous run and pass to set it up. Very happy for him.

CoreySamson

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 02, 2022, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 02, 2022, 10:58:12 AM

Since most of the sports media is driven by 40+ old white dudes, I think they underestimate the amount of millennials who would much rather watch a game of soccer than a game of baseball, no matter who is playing.
For comparison there were only about 15 interested people watching Game 6 of the WS (which happened at a more convenient time for students to watch). I think there would've been even more people watching the WC games if they happened after classes ended for the day.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2022, 08:29:33 AM
I think the World Cup being a big deal in the US is not all that surprising, at least when the US team is playing (I don't recall Russia 2018 getting much attention at all after the qualifying debacle). If there's one thing the US does well and that many Americans get into, it's a "big event," and the World Cup is undoubtedly that.

To some extent, for casual sports viewers, I think the World Cup is sort of like hockey at the Winter Olympics–they watch that event and then go back to ignoring it for the next four years.

Fair enough, but for casual fans, the fact that the WC only occurs once every four years actually makes it appointment viewing.

Bruce

English-speaking sports media is stuck in the Stone Ages wrt. soccer coverage in this country, so it's no surprise they've been bungling it for a while. Fox's production this year has been particularly bad, and we're stuck with them through 2026.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Bruce on December 02, 2022, 03:03:21 PM
English-speaking sports media is stuck in the Stone Ages wrt. soccer coverage in this country, so it's no surprise they've been bungling it for a while. Fox's production this year has been particularly bad, and we're stuck with them through 2026.
This may just be a "minor thing that bothers me", but I absolutely hate the way the commentator Fox uses for US's WC games calls goals. European soccer commentators are much better at calling goals.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Bruce

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 02, 2022, 03:15:36 PM
This may just be a "minor thing that bothers me", but I absolutely hate the way the commentator Fox uses for US's WC games calls goals. European soccer commentators are much better at calling goals.

John Strong isn't all that bad, and certainly better than the British ones who put you to sleep. Have to remember that they have to bring a distinctly American flavor to commentary to reel in the casuals.

1995hoo

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 02, 2022, 02:10:51 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2022, 08:29:33 AM

Fair enough, but for casual fans, the fact that the WC only occurs once every four years actually makes it appointment viewing.

Isn't that more or less what the final sentence of mine that you quoted says?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

It's hard to take complaints like this seriously when people complain about basically every broadcast in every sport.

NWI_Irish96

Final Group G table:

Brazil 6 (+2)
Switzerland 6 (+1)
Cameroon 4
Serbia 1

NWI_Irish96

Round of 16 is set:

Saturday: Netherlands vs USA, Argentina vs Australia
Sunday: England vs Senegal, France vs Poland
Monday: Japan vs Croatia, Brazil vs South Korea
Tuesday: Morocco vs Spain, Portugal vs Switzerland

Most likely group winners to lose: Morocco, Japan, Netherlands
Least likely group winners to lose: Brazil, France, Argentina

JayhawkCO

I got 11 of the 16 overall teams right. I missed Senegal, Morocco, Japan, Poland, and Australia.

I got 6 of the 8 group winners. I missed Morocco and Japan (as I'm sure everyone else did).

I got 4 of the 8 groups exactly right as far as winner and runner-up: A, B, G, H.

My worst group was Group F where I didn't get anyone exactly right. I had Croatia winning the group and Belgium going second. Every other group I at least got one thing exactly right.

Not horrible, not great.

formulanone

Quote from: thspfc on December 02, 2022, 04:09:19 PM
It's hard to take complaints like this seriously when people complain about basically every broadcast in every sport.

Telemundo is also an option.

Scott5114

Not being a sports person, it's kind of hard for me to imagine how, exactly, TV sports commentary can actually be done badly enough that a sports person would actually notice. It seems like every time I see an NFL game, there's some commentator saying something along the lines of "well, what Detroit really needs to do now is move the football," which really makes me wonder why the network thinks they're getting their money's worth out of employing this person.

(Obviously, radio commentators are a whole different beast, due to the need to actually describe what's happening in a way that someone can understand it without seeing it.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 02, 2022, 06:26:53 PM

Not being a sports person, it's kind of hard for me to imagine how, exactly, TV sports commentary can actually be done badly enough that a sports person would actually notice. It seems like every time I see an NFL game, there's some commentator saying something along the lines of "well, what Detroit really needs to do now is move the football," which really makes me wonder why the network thinks they're getting their money's worth out of employing this person.

(Obviously, radio commentators are a whole different beast, due to the need to actually describe what's happening in a way that someone can understand it without seeing it.)
There's strong nostalgia and survivorship bias when it comes to sports commentators. Genuinely, the only bad major sports commentators I can think of hearing are some who call barely relevant Saturday afternoon college football between teams with .500 records. There's definitely many more bad ones out there I'm not familiar with, but in general, the top ones are fine. Fans just want their old favorite commentators back, which I think stems more from a longing for a previous era of sports or life altogether than from the commentators themselves.

I was 12/16 on knockout teams, 6/8 on group winners. The four I missed were Australia, Japan, Croatia, and South Korea.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.