News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

My Roadgeek Website! PaulAcrossAmerica

Started by paulthemapguy, July 21, 2022, 11:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Hi everyone! I launched a new roadgeek website with lots of roadgeek content!  Much of the site is photos of route markers, as concrete evidence of visiting each highway I drive on.  This hobby of collecting photos of route markers is something I've started to call "Routesnapping"-- it's a name that might catch on, or it might not.  Either way, my main goal as a roadgeek has always been trying to collect the roads I travel on by photographing the route markers in the field as proof; it's been a higher priority than clinching mileage, counties, etc. I launched this site two months ago, but I figured it was high time to finally promote it here!

On my site, you will find information on the US and Interstate highways I've encountered nationwide, full coverage of all state, US, and Interstate highways in my home state of Illinois, plus additional highway content pertinent to some other states in the Midwest. For now, I have Indiana and Iowa completely covered in addition to Illinois; a fourth Midwestern state will be added in the next few months! I included a roadgeek glossary, explaining terms to those new and seasoned in the community. There are photos of the 16 national parks I've visited, and there's a logistical explanation of how to plan the perfect road trip. There's a whole page on roadway geometry and interchange configurations--and of course, there's a place for laughing at gaffes and mistakes in striping and signage. I have been working on this website since December, so give it a spin!  Roadgeek sites like this might be considered antiquated, but I see no reason not to pretend that it's 2002 again. Maybe this page will harken back to the days of the Internet's relative innocence. Here's my roadgeek blog of information, big photos, and travel nonsense! If any of this sounds like a good time to you, check out www.paulacrossamerica.com !
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kurumi

Hey, that's a cool site! A throwback but in the best way.

I'm an amateur routesnapper as well, and any new place I travel absolutely gets some advance research to see what new route numbers (state, US, interstate) I can collect. On a 2019 trip to visit friends in FL, I took a day to drive into GA and SC solely to collect I-16, 516, 26, and the bounty of US routes along the way. (It's old-fashioned, but I'll print out a list of mile markers and routes of interest, so at a glance I know what's coming up.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.