News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Time zones

Started by Poiponen13, October 25, 2022, 02:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Life in Paradise on October 26, 2022, 12:33:31 PM
I am surprised (not really) that this is still an issue where the states and localities have more say than other issues.  One could make an argument that time zones affect interstate commerce, and the federal government usually enters in where interstate commerce is involved.  Some bureaucrat or legislative body could determine the exact lines of the time zones for US so that they are more appropriately representative.  I know that is a ticking time bomb for someone.  Perhaps we should turn that over to a legislative body, and they could have have arguments and debates about it for months or maybe years, therefore we could avoid legislation that might not be wanted anyway.

States have the authority as to whether or not to observe DST. The US Department of Transportation has the authority to approve any actual changes in time zones. That's why state bills are worded "observed DST year-round" rather than "change time zones."
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

bm7

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Solar_time_vs_standard_time.png

Any place whose time zone is over an hour off from solar time should be moved into the next time zone.

kphoger

What's the deal with that chunk of GMT in northeastern Greenland?

https://goo.gl/maps/WoKvE7bGnYDf51Cr9
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 05:29:18 PM
What's the deal with that chunk of GMT in northeastern Greenland?

https://goo.gl/maps/WoKvE7bGnYDf51Cr9

The only connections outside of Greenland from there are to Iceland, so they maintain the same time zone as Iceland which happens to be GMT.

bandit957

Cincinnati should be moved to Central Time, especially if Daylight Saving Time becomes year-round.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I think the best thing to do would be to use the natural boundaries for time zones, except that areas centered on each major city would be in that city's time zone. I once read that this was how it was originally done. Places like Cincinnati used to be on Central Time, but large financial firms in New York kept demanding that Eastern Time be moved further and further west.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US 89

Quote from: bandit957 on October 27, 2022, 10:34:23 AM
I think the best thing to do would be to use the natural boundaries for time zones, except that areas centered on each major city would be in that city's time zone. I once read that this was how it was originally done. Places like Cincinnati used to be on Central Time, but large financial firms in New York kept demanding that Eastern Time be moved further and further west.

That was the basis for the map I proposed last time we had a thread on this...

hotdogPi

I don't think it's worth it for 98,200 people in the mainland US to be in their own time zone.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2022, 12:35:48 PM
I don't think it's worth it for 98,200 people in the mainland US to be in their own time zone.

SST already has less than half that (which you apparently knew already).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2022, 08:18:31 AM
Which is most taboo topic on the history of the forum?

-  Daylight Savings Time
-  COVID-19
-  Alanland
-  The Hypotenuse
-  Flat Illinois

None of the above.
Carl Rodgers, aka Calrog. He was banned before the first word was posted on this site. If that isn't taboo, then the rest of you need new witch doctors.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hotdogPi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 27, 2022, 01:30:15 PM
None of the above.
Carl Rodgers, aka Calrog. He was banned before the first word was posted on this site. If that isn't taboo, then the rest of you need new witch doctors.

Carl Rogers isn't banned.

Quote from: Alps on December 16, 2011, 05:47:32 PMAs far as I know none of us have any such idea. I couldn't trace him to any particular account. If Carl Rogers were to join the board, we'd take the same approach: Keep up your usual shenanigans and you'll be banned forthwith. Be a productive member of the community and you can stay around. Doesn't matter what your past life is unless you're known for doing something illegal (we had a case of that a couple years ago where I caught a suspicious-looking name)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

I think when Jake Bear was head admin we had an unwritten policy of "if Carl Rogers makes an account, ban him on sight", but he never seemed to be interested in doing so (probably because he knew he could only pull off his schtick on an unmoderated forum), so that kind of went by the wayside.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Moderation is a significant deterrent to bad behavior in and of itself.  I found it a little hard to believe this concept was so difficult to accept in MTR back in 2003 when the creation of a new moderated newsgroup was under consideration.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JoePCool14

DST is definitely a topic that I agree and disagree with. I view it favorably negative.

And Illinois is still flat except where it's not.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: The State of Arizona
DST is definitely a topic that I agree and disagree with. I view it favorably negative.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

-  Daylight Savings Time
-  COVID-19
-  Alanland
-  The Hypotenuse
-  Flat Illinois

Orleans County, NY?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dlsterner

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 27, 2022, 02:53:31 PM

-  Daylight Savings Time
-  COVID-19
-  Alanland
-  The Hypotenuse
-  Flat Illinois

Orleans County, NY?

Scary looking bridges in North Carolina?

JoePCool14

Quote from: dlsterner on October 27, 2022, 03:00:27 PM

-  Daylight Savings Time
-  COVID-19
-  Alanland
-  The Hypotenuse
-  Flat Illinois

Orleans County, NY?

Scary looking bridges in North Carolina?

Or just anything from North Carolina.

Dirt Roads

-  Daylight Savings Time
-  COVID-19
-  Alanland
-  The Hypotenuse
-  Flat Illinois

Orleans County, NY?

Not quite. How about "Does I-70 go to Baltimore?"

webny99

-  Daylight Savings Time
-  COVID-19
-  Alanland
-  The Hypotenuse
-  Flat Illinois

Orleans County, NY?

I'm probably the only one who might regard that as taboo, and I've come to accept it's "longstanding joke" status.  :biggrin:

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 02:52:57 PM
Quote from: The State of Arizona

Well done!!  :-D

jp the roadgeek

Here was my proposal.  Wasn't in the other threads with links here, but I'm sure it was posted somewhere.  Borders are based on TV markets.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JoePCool14

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 28, 2022, 01:55:56 AM
Here was my proposal.  Wasn't in the other threads with links here, but I'm sure it was posted somewhere.  Borders are based on TV markets.

The little sliver of counties on the west side of the Mississippi being on the central (?) time zone is an odd choice. I think I would shift the line further west. As someone who went to school in Platteville, WI, it would also be strange to go to Dubuque, IA and be in a different time zone.

royo6022

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 28, 2022, 08:47:19 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 28, 2022, 01:55:56 AM

The little sliver of counties on the west side of the Mississippi being on the central (?) time zone is an odd choice. I think I would shift the line further west. As someone who went to school in Platteville, WI, it would also be strange to go to Dubuque, IA and be in a different time zone.

Being in Indiana is worse as 90% of the state is on Eastern except for the Chicago and Evansville areas... which serve as hubs for many of the counties on the Eastern side of the line making life pretty confusing sometimes... especially people in my area, growing up 10 minutes from the line that has reason being where it is. There are even several counties to the EAST of where I live that are still on Central.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.