Akron, OH to Grand Rapids, MI 80/23/96 or 80/69/94/131?

Started by georgec, March 30, 2023, 12:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgec

Heading out to work in Grand Rapids this weekend. Most of my map routing sources are pointing towards the 80/23/96 route through Toldeo, Ann Arbor, and Lansing. Furkot is suggesting staying on 80, then heading north on 69 through Battle Creek and Kalamazoo.

Any suggestions here? Will not be sightseeing, looking for the least amount of headaches even if that means a bit of a longer drive and even a reasonable toll. Scenery is a big plus.

Considering the latter route, because I've never been that way, and my return route is already kinda fixed on the other (hotel reservation). But might be able to change that reservation if the alternate route is better.

Thanks!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Depends on road construction along any of the routes. Otherwise, 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other.
I'd also submit 80/31/196 (not sure if it'd be appreciably longer than the two routes you submitted)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GaryV

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 30, 2023, 02:14:43 AM
I'd also submit 80/31/196 (not sure if it'd be appreciably longer than the two routes you submitted)
That would be significantly longer, about 70 miles. 80/131 would be much better than that.

How much to pay in tolls would also be a part of any decision.

Flint1979

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 30, 2023, 02:14:43 AM
Depends on road construction along any of the routes. Otherwise, 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other.
That would be much longer. Take the Turnpike to Toledo, then US-23 north to I-96 west.

SkyPesos

Could save on tolls by leaving the turnpike at the OH 57 exit then onto OH 2 toward Toledo. It's a freeway all the way west to Port Clinton.

A variation in Michigan that doesn't add that much more time is using US 223 then 127 between Toledo and Lansing, if you want some variety the other way from the faster US 23/I-196 one way.

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2023, 07:42:21 AM
Could save on tolls by leaving the turnpike at the OH 57 exit then onto OH 2 toward Toledo. It's a freeway all the way west to Port Clinton.

A variation in Michigan that doesn't add that much more time is using US 223 then 127 between Toledo and Lansing, if you want some variety the other way from the faster US 23/I-196 one way.
That way is about 10 minutes slower. Plus US-223 is a two lane rural highway for the most part and US-127 doesn't become a freeway until your almost to Jackson. Those would be the disadvantages of taking that way I think,

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 30, 2023, 07:47:18 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2023, 07:42:21 AM

That way is about 10 minutes slower. Plus US-223 is a two lane rural highway for the most part and US-127 doesn't become a freeway until your almost to Jackson. Those would be the disadvantages of taking that way I think,
An addition of 10 minutes isn't that much when it's a 5-hour drive already. Just adding it in here if the OP is fine with not strictly following the fastest route both ways.

webny99

Depending on how much of a concern time is, you could avoid the Ohio Turnpike altogether by taking I-75 > OH 15 > US 23 > US 30 > I-71 > I-76. It's about 20-30 minutes longer depending on your endpoint, but it's all freeway and toll-free, so worth a mention.

georgec

Thanks for the suggestions, ended up posting this way too late last night to look at replies before I left. I was set on trying out the 80/69/94/131 route, until I got near Toledo and saw dark red traffic around Battle Creek. Decided to take the all-green route.

80/23/96 wasn't too bad, not too much construction and the roads weren't any worse than I expected in Michigan.

Will keep these in mind for future trips. Will be heading back to Michigan to Jackson later this year. Thanks!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.