News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I wonder how accurate FiveThirtyEight's predictions are? With the expanded playoffs, a Cinderella team might come from nowhere just like in hockey.

triplemultiplex

Happy Opening Day!
Gonna be a fridged one in Chicago.  Too bad The Crew isn't starting at home. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 07, 2022, 01:19:30 PM
I wonder how accurate FiveThirtyEight's predictions are? With the expanded playoffs, a Cinderella team might come from nowhere just like in hockey.

They're a good site as far as predictions go, but predictions are still just, well... predictions. There's bound to be a few misses in both directions.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 07, 2022, 02:17:03 PM
Happy Opening Day!

What genius at MLB thought it was a good idea to schedule a game in Chicago against a team that plays in a dome?  This series should have been played in Milwaukee, with a later series between them played at Wrigley.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

1995hoo

I wonder whether tonight's game in DC will be played today. Yesterday they announced it was pushed back three hours due to forecast rain, and the rain has been coming down quite hard at times.

Gonna be very weird not having the pitcher bat, no double switches, etc.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 07, 2022, 03:45:36 PM
Happy Opening Day!

What genius at MLB thought it was a good idea to schedule a game in Chicago against a team that plays in a dome?  This series should have been played in Milwaukee, with a later series between them played at Wrigley.

In cities with two teams, there's almost always one at home, even in early April.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2022, 05:22:59 PM
I wonder whether tonight's game in DC will be played today. Yesterday they announced it was pushed back three hours due to forecast rain, and the rain has been coming down quite hard at times.

The game in DC is in the 3rd inning so far, at 9:10 PM EDT. They are trying to get it in tonight

Using the Multicast option in the ESPN App to watch the Reds/Braves and the Mets/Nats games, side by side tonight

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 07, 2022, 07:48:56 PM
Happy Opening Day!

In cities with two teams, there's almost always one at home, even in early April.

Very true, and that's something that has to change in NY and Chicago.

Having lived in the Chicago area for 20 years, I'm well aware of the April snowstorms there.  But what I'm saying is that, if one of the teams is opening against a team that plays in a dome, those games should be moved to the dome, and have the series against that team in Chicago moved to May or later.  If the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, and Mets can't open at home until later in April, or even May 1, so be it.  Let them do their West Coast, Texas, Atlanta, and Florida trips early.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

1995hoo

Quote from: ilpt4u on April 07, 2022, 09:10:03 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2022, 05:22:59 PM

The game in DC is in the 3rd inning so far, at 9:10 PM EDT. They are trying to get it in tonight

Using the Multicast option in the ESPN App to watch the Reds/Braves and the Mets/Nats games, side by side tonight

Yeah, I've had it on TV since shortly before it started. When I typed my prior comment, it was pouring here and that storm moved over the ballpark not too long after I posted it.

Henry

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 07, 2022, 09:16:17 PM
Happy Opening Day!

Having lived in the Chicago area for 20 years, I'm well aware of the April snowstorms there.  But what I'm saying is that, if one of the teams is opening against a team that plays in a dome, those games should be moved to the dome, and have the series against that team in Chicago moved to May or later.  If the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, and Mets can't open at home until later in April, or even May 1, so be it.  Let them do their West Coast, Texas, Atlanta, and Florida trips early.
I think the same can be said for San Francisco/Oakland, as well as Baltimore/Washington. Sure, in each example they may be two different cities, but they are still very close to each other, and thus part of the same metro area. Therefore, if the Giants, A's, Orioles and Nationals don't open at home due to the cold, then at least have them go out to where it's warmer or even the closed-roof stadiums in Milwaukee, Arizona, Seattle and Toronto. L.A./Anaheim gets a pass because it is a warm-weather location, and the only such one that houses two teams (Dodgers and Angels).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on April 08, 2022, 10:42:52 AM
Happy Opening Day!

I think the same can be said for San Francisco/Oakland, as well as Baltimore/Washington. Sure, in each example they may be two different cities, but they are still very close to each other, and thus part of the same metro area. Therefore, if the Giants, A's, Orioles and Nationals don't open at home due to the cold, then at least have them go out to where it's warmer or even the closed-roof stadiums in Milwaukee, Arizona, Seattle and Toronto. L.A./Anaheim gets a pass because it is a warm-weather location, and the only such one that houses two teams (Dodgers and Angels).

Part of the problem is that early-mid April games are more poorly attended than other months, so the warm weather/indoor teams don't want to be penalized by having to always host a bunch of games the first couple weeks. Also, the unbalanced schedule and needing at least one interleague series at all times makes scheduling more difficult.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 08, 2022, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 08, 2022, 10:42:52 AM
Happy Opening Day!

Part of the problem is that early-mid April games are more poorly attended than other months, so the warm weather/indoor teams don't want to be penalized by having to always host a bunch of games the first couple weeks. Also, the unbalanced schedule and needing at least one interleague series at all times makes scheduling more difficult.

Plus there's something about having the home opener on opening day. Not every team can have it every year, of course, but cold or not, it should happen sometimes.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

triplemultiplex

They got the opener in there on the Northside, but today got snowed out. :P

I've tailgated in the snow for a baseball game.  Of course then the game was inside, but still, a fun experience as long as one has their liquid jacket on. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 08, 2022, 04:13:57 PM
They got the opener in there on the Northside, but today got snowed out. :P

I've tailgated in the snow for a baseball game.  Of course then the game was inside, but still, a fun experience as long as one has their liquid jacket on. ;)

Must have been some localized snow. I got nothing here.

kurumi

Quote from: webny99 on April 06, 2022, 08:49:40 PM
FiveThirtyEight's MLB predictions are out: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-mlb-predictions/

Cool! For fun, I looked at the 2021 preseason predictions (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-mlb-predictions/, but have to select "preseason" at the bottom of the page).

I'm pretty optimistic about the Giants.

2021 predicted: 74-88
2021 actual: 107-55
2022 predicted: 84-78
2022 adjusted expected actual: 117-45, with a 1-game runoff against LAD with same record :-)

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/11/washington-nationals-lerners-potential-sale/

Note this is a proposed idea floating for now for the Nationals.

QuoteThe family of real estate magnate Ted Lerner, which 16 years ago purchased the Washington Nationals from Major League Baseball and oversaw a rebuilding process that eventually resulted in a World Series championship, has begun the process of exploring potential changes in the club's ownership structure, including the possibility of selling the team.

Mark Lerner, Ted Lerner's son who now serves as the club's managing principal owner, told The Washington Post in a statement Monday that the family has hired New York investment bank Allen & Company to research potential investors, and possibly buyers, for the Nationals.
"This is an exploratory process, so there is no set timetable or expectation of a specific outcome,"  Mark Lerner said in the statement. "The organization is as committed as ever to their employees, players, fans, sponsors and partners and to putting a competitive product on the field."

NWI_Irish96

As the season is ramping up, I got to thinking about rare/unusual things I've witnessed at games over the years.

One thing I've always hoped to see is a no-hitter, but I've never seen one, not even close really. I was, however, at a game on one of the only two nights in baseball history (and the only day any of us was alive for) that two no-hitters were thrown on the same day. At my last ever game at old Comiskey Park, the Sox beat the Yankees 1-0 on a homer by NW IN's own Ron Kittle. Near the end of the game, we saw highlights on the video board of Dave Stewart's no-hitter for Oakland at Toronto. On the way home, we heard that Fernando Valenzuela had thrown a no-hitter for the Dodgers.

I've seen two teams combine for 12 home runs in a game (CHW/DET, 2002), which was a record that stood until 2019.

I've seen a pitcher (Wilson Alvarez, CHW) strike out four batters in a single inning.

I've seen two pitchers (Greg Maddux, ATL; Jon Garland, CHW) hit home runs.

I've seen two #9 hitters (Ozzie Guillen, CWS; Scott Brosius, NYY)  hit go-ahead/walkoff 3-run home runs in the 9th inning.

I've seen a pitcher who had a streak of 49 straight starts pitcing 6+ innings (Mark Buehrle, CWS) get ejected for hitting a batter with 2 outs in the 6th inning.

1995hoo

^^^^

My brother was at the game in 1998 in which Cal Ripken sat out and ended his consecutive games streak.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 13, 2022, 11:25:55 AM
I've seen a pitcher (Wilson Alvarez, CHW) strike out four batters in a single inning.

I know it's just a vocabulary thing, but given that Nevin made it safely to first, he wasn't really struck out.

That said, you have an impressive collection of baseball memories.

Interestingly, the four strikewhatever inning seems to be becoming increasingly common.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 13, 2022, 02:44:09 PM

I know it's just a vocabulary thing, but given that Nevin made it safely to first, he wasn't really struck out.

Interestingly, the four strikewhatever inning seems to be becoming increasingly common.

I agree with you, but MLB counts it as a strikeout regardless of the "out" part being absent.

CoreySamson

As the season is ramping up, I got to thinking about rare/unusual things I've witnessed at games over the years.

I've personally witnessed 3 walk-off home runs by the Astros in a span of about 5 years in less than 10 games. I believe it was Jose Altuve, Yuli Gurriel, and Luis Valbuena (who sadly passed away a couple years ago).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 14, 2022, 06:41:22 PM

I've personally witnessed 3 walk-off home runs by the Astros in a span of about 5 years in less than 10 games. I believe it was Jose Altuve, Yuli Gurriel, and Luis Valbuena (who sadly passed away a couple years ago).

Not terribly unusual when the home team knows what pitch is coming.

Flint1979

Best game I ever saw in person was Roger Clemens first attempt at his 300th win. It was my birthday in 2003 and I drove to Detroit for the day. I ended up getting tickets to the Yankees-Tigers game and this was the season that the Tigers lost 119 games setting an American League record for losses in a season. My dad decided to drive down and join me so we went to the game together. I can remember going down to Detroit early in the day around 9am and getting tickets.

We went and sat in our seats and the place was packed with over 44,000 people there. The Yankees took like a 7-1 lead in the 5th inning and some people were starting to leave and a couple people gave me their ticket stubs so I could get down closer to the field by the 7th inning I was behind the Yankees dugout and started to heckle Jeter and David Wells. My dad said the Tigers are so bad that they won't come back and win this game. Well they had a 5 run inning making the score 7-6. I think the Yankees scored another run in the next half inning and then the Tigers scored two more times to tie the game at 8. The game lasted until the 17th inning with the Yankees scoring a couple of runs and the Tigers scored a run in the bottom of that inning. I know Soriano and Posada both hit home runs in the 17th inning too. The Tigers had that knuckleballer Steve Sparks pitch just about every extra inning there was.

I didn't really have any rooting interest in the game I just wanted to go to a baseball game on my birthday. I'm not a Tigers or Yankees fan.

mgk920

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 13, 2022, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 13, 2022, 02:44:09 PM

I agree with you, but MLB counts it as a strikeout regardless of the "out" part being absent.

You must *complete* the strikeout for the out to be recorded.  That includes either the catcher remaining in control of the pitched ball OR the batter being thrown out at first base or tagged out on his way to first base.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.