Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

Quote from: kkt on November 02, 2012, 06:40:29 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 01, 2012, 02:09:10 PM
PPS: Why isn't SR 318 part of US 93?

Maybe US-93 is the original route and stayed there when NV-318 was built?

That is correct. US 93 was nearly completely paved before SR 38 (which became SR 318 in the 1976 renumbering) showed up on official Nevada maps as a state highway.

US 93 was likely never moved to SR 318 due to it going through the more populated towns of Caliente and Pioche, despite being a shorter route--note that between Crystal Springs and Ely, it's the SR 318 and US 6 route (not US 93) that is on the National Highway System.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

LA_MetroMan

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on October 23, 2012, 03:09:17 AM
Build it from Vegas to Reno, so that our two largest metro areas can finally be connected by Interstate.

That would be fine, but I'm afraid life would forget about those cool towns along US 50, one of the coolest (super coolest) desert highways ever. The views, the towns, the expanse - priceless.  And I HOPE that the freeway doesn't parallel the old 50, keep that stretch well east to preserve the 'stillderness' of the desert in that area.
- A mile of road will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere.

vdeane

If they were to do an I-11 from Vegas to Reno, I'd guess they would use the US 95 corridor; the only portion by US 50 would be in Carson City which will be I-580 anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LA_MetroMan

LA_MetroMan

Quote from: NE2 on November 01, 2012, 02:09:10 PM
Vegas to Boise? Traffic? Bahahahahaha.

Seriously, the only sensible way to build a four-lane route northwest from Vegas is to send it over to US 395 as soon as possible and take advantage of California's work.

And then push it through Kings Canyon or Yosemite Valley for a direct route to Frisco.

PS: Vegas to Boise traffic would sure as hell not go up US 95. US 93 is over 100 miles shorter.

PPS: Why isn't SR 318 part of US 93?

They'll have to pry Kings Canyon and Yosemite Valley from my cold dead hands before they build a freeway through there.

mapman1071

start by widening US 95 to 4 Lane Interstate Grade From Mercury To Fallon
and either US50west/Alt US 50 to Fernly and I-80 or US95north to I-80
(No overpasses or underpasses (Except for Wash/waterway and railroad) but have the provision to add those later, With temporary Intersections where necessary, Freeway bypass routes can also be added later.) 

This route could have Future I-11 Signs.

kkt

Quote from: mapman1071 on December 06, 2012, 04:19:59 PM
(No overpasses or underpasses (Except for Wash/waterway and railroad) but have the provision to add those later, With temporary Intersections where necessary, Freeway bypass routes can also be added later.) 

I wouldn't even make it four lanes or sign it as future I-11 at this point.  All they should do now is purchase land for the ROW if it isn't in the public sector already and happens to come up for sale, so as to avoid eminent domain later.

mapman1071

Quote from: kkt on December 06, 2012, 06:02:15 PM

I wouldn't even make it four lanes or sign it as future I-11 at this point.  All they should do now is purchase land for the ROW if it isn't in the public sector already and happens to come up for sale, so as to avoid eminent domain later.
The majority of the land to the E of the row Is federally owned and/or protected (See MIB or Area 51)

agentsteel53

when do you anticipate that US-95 will have enough traffic to merit four-laning universally to Fallon?  if not ever (which is my opinion), I wouldn't even bother buying the ROW.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kkt

Quote from: mapman1071 on December 07, 2012, 04:16:02 PM

The majority of the land to the E of the row Is federally owned and/or protected (See MIB or Area 51)

Hm?  Ellis AFB and the Nevada Test Site appear to be several miles away from US-95, and Area 51 is on the far side of Ellis AFB.

kkt

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 07, 2012, 04:23:22 PM

when do you anticipate that US-95 will have enough traffic to merit four-laning universally to Fallon?  if not ever (which is my opinion), I wouldn't even bother buying the ROW.

"Never" is a long time.  If in 30 years there was enough traffic, it would still be worth having bought the ROW now, instead of by eminent domain after the land becomes more valuable.  Most of the land probably belongs to the BLM already, so nothing would need to be done.

andy3175

Quote from: kkt on December 07, 2012, 04:53:11 PM

"Never" is a long time.  If in 30 years there was enough traffic, it would still be worth having bought the ROW now, instead of by eminent domain after the land becomes more valuable.  Most of the land probably belongs to the BLM already, so nothing would need to be done.

A key question in this discussion is whether there's a concerted effort by western states to reroute truck/commercial traffic off of other north-south freeway corridors (I-5 and I-15) to create a trucking corridor along US 95 or if either corridor is overburdened to the point a third route would be helpful. I'm not sure if, in this scenario, ending such a route in Reno would be sufficient. Instead, it would have to connect at least to Interstate 84. If this scenario is realized, then four-laning could be justified.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

kphoger

Apparently, the CANAMEX was designated as a High Priority Corridor under NAFTA, which states its entire length shall be at least four lanes (sorry, all links I can find to source information are broken).  Isn't that still in effect?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

The Canamex takes I-15 north from Las Vegas...

Also, the ISTEA (not NAFTA) High Priority Corridors don't require four lanes, unless there's a special clause for this one.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

I was going by Wikipedia (links broken, as I said) and AARoads–not that we should ever trust those two sites as accurate.

I was really just pointing that out as pertaining to the discussion of whether US-93 should be four-laned or not (per the post below), but I guess that was pretty far upthread.  Sorry.

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 18, 2012, 09:46:01 AM
It's been a very long time since i was on 93 heading south from I-40 near Kingman, but I don't recall it being a super busy stretch of road, though this was at least 10 years ago.  I'm assuming I-11 would follow 93, with a possible bypass around Wickenburg and then following 60 into Phoenix? Is there enough traffic along the existing route to justify this?

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

Quote from: andy3175 on December 08, 2012, 01:43:58 PM

A key question in this discussion is whether there's a concerted effort by western states to reroute truck/commercial traffic off of other north-south freeway corridors (I-5 and I-15) to create a trucking corridor along US 95 or if either corridor is overburdened to the point a third route would be helpful. I'm not sure if, in this scenario, ending such a route in Reno would be sufficient. Instead, it would have to connect at least to Interstate 84. If this scenario is realized, then four-laning could be justified.

That is a key question, which is a key component of the study process being undertaken by NDOT & ADOT. They are not limiting the study to the US 93 and US 95 corridors either, but pretty much anything north of Las Vegas is fair game to look at. No matter which way a potential I-11 would travel north through Nevada, it won't be hard to for NDOT to get ROW...there's a lot of open space in Nevada owned by BLM.

Quote from: kkt on December 07, 2012, 04:51:19 PM
Hm?  Ellis AFB and the Nevada Test Site appear to be several miles away from US-95, and Area 51 is on the far side of Ellis AFB.

What is "Ellis AFB"?  Maybe you're referring to the Nellis AFB flight range, which encompasses the test site and Area 51. The test site is accessed from the Mercury exit, where the four-lane US 95 transitions to two. Area 51 is better reached from SR 375 on the opposite side.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

What are the current volumes on these roads now(395,95,93)?
rom what I can see they all are well built and have good shoulders. It would make sense to start with passing lanes

roadfro

^ I've recently posted some 2011 traffic counts on various points between Reno and Las Vegas on US 95...can't recall what thread now and it didn't come up in a quick search. Suffice it to say that the majority of US 95 north of Mercury is less than about 6,000 AADT.

US 93 counts would be comparable (or probably slightly less). US 395 is likely slightly higher, due to more regional traffic.

I would suggest asking for more maybe continuous passing lanes on both because you dont need an EIS or ROW and the cost is 1-2 million a mile v 8.5 million a mile. That is a figure form new US 20 in western Iowa which will look like Nevada if the drought continues.
If Harry Reid had earmarks I might suggest something different but Id go for something rather than nothing

roadfro

When you look at the counts and traffic patterns, even the expense of continuous passing lanes hardly seems justified...

Interstate Trav

Quote from: roadfro on December 08, 2012, 05:36:22 PM
Quote from: andy3175 on December 08, 2012, 01:43:58 PM

That is a key question, which is a key component of the study process being undertaken by NDOT & ADOT. They are not limiting the study to the US 93 and US 95 corridors either, but pretty much anything north of Las Vegas is fair game to look at. No matter which way a potential I-11 would travel north through Nevada, it won't be hard to for NDOT to get ROW...there's a lot of open space in Nevada owned by BLM.

Quote from: kkt on December 07, 2012, 04:51:19 PM

What is "Ellis AFB"?  Maybe you're referring to the Nellis AFB flight range, which encompasses the test site and Area 51. The test site is accessed from the Mercury exit, where the four-lane US 95 transitions to two. Area 51 is better reached from SR 375 on the opposite side.

That's a good point.  I think Routing I-11 past Las Vegas would have to go Northwest for this reason, I-15 connects North East.  If I-11 doesn't head towards Reno, there really aren't a lot of cities to be routed towards.
But ending I-11 in Reno wouldn't make sense either, if it is going to be built that far then it should connect to I-84 or somehow the Pacific Northwest.

Given that the traffic Counts on US 95 or 93 are not justified, in even passing lanes let alone an Interstate, they are basing this on an Alternative to I-5 so they are planning on more truck Traffic coming, since it is not there now I pressume?

Also wouldn't Nevada want it to connect Reno in some way if there going to build it that far and that much in there state?

andy3175

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2012, 04:48:58 PM
I was going by Wikipedia (links broken, as I said) and AARoads–not that we should ever trust those two sites as accurate.

[/quote]

The High Priority Corridor (HPC) pages on AARoads are out of date and are there for reference purposes only. Neither Alex nor I intend to update them again in the near future. As for the general credibility of AARoads, I always say that any given page is 90-95% accurate at the time of publication, and as things change, the pages become less and less accurate (as roads improve/change, development continues, commuting patterns change, etc.). Most of the HPC pages on AARoads are now 7 years old, so you can guess how accurate they are today.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Mark68

I could see a potential routing of I-11 north of Reno along US 395. It's doubtful that there would be enough traffic from, say, Alturas north to Pendleton, but there already is Interstate between the Pendleton/Hermiston area and the Tri-Cities (I-82), and there already is a decent amount of 4-lane on 395 between Tri-Cities and I-90. This route COULD generate more traffic between Portland and Reno, not to mention draw traffic east from Bend & Klamath Falls.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

drummer_evans_aki

Quote from: Mark68 on December 18, 2012, 05:20:55 AM
I could see a potential routing of I-11 north of Reno along US 395. It's doubtful that there would be enough traffic from, say, Alturas north to Pendleton, but there already is Interstate between the Pendleton/Hermiston area and the Tri-Cities (I-82), and there already is a decent amount of 4-lane on 395 between Tri-Cities and I-90. This route COULD generate more traffic between Portland and Reno, not to mention draw traffic east from Bend & Klamath Falls.

Perhaps not to Pendleton. But if they DID extend I-11, I could see an extension through Alturas, CA following US-395 and then into Central Oregon using OR-31 and then a US-97 overlap into Bend, Redmond, and Madras, then from Madras, overlapping US-26 over Mount Hood, splitting off near Sandy (where I would create a spur route from Sandy to I-205 near Clackamas), moving I-11 Northwest to end at I-84 near Troutdale in the Portland, OR metro area.
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.