News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Products you've bought from infomercials

Started by golden eagle, February 24, 2015, 12:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

Quote from: golden eagle on February 24, 2015, 07:28:54 PM
I have no intentions on buying this, but I wonder how many people have been suckered into buying Clear TV. It's just a regular DTV converter box that you can purchase at your local electronics. However, the way it's marketed confuses people into thinking they can get cable channels without paying for cable or satellite. Also, many newer TVs may not even need an antenna to receive local channels in HD.

Actually, Clear TV is not a converter box, it's an antenna.  Not a very good one, but an antenna just the same.  If you don't have cable or satellite, you pretty much need an antenna to receive over-the-air (OTA) television signals. 
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

J N Winkler

I know at least one person who has invested in a Clear TV antenna, but only to eliminate a cable TV subscription that was originally purchased for picture quality rather than access to programming content.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

We have rabbit ears attached to the TVs in our master bedroom and guestroom because we don't watch them enough to justify connecting them to DirecTV. The antennas are RCA-branded UHF/VHF antennas I got at Best Buy for around $15. They provide excellent HD reception, though of course results will vary depending on where you live.

It's critical to know what frequencies your local stations use if you want to get an antenna. Many, perhaps most, digital channels are broadcast over UHF, but in some markets (DC is one) several networks use VHF. So you need to make sure you have the right type of antenna, but I think it's easier just to get one that covers both.

This looks like the same one we have. Price has dropped:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rca-uhf-vhf-fm-indoor-antenna/4780115.p?id=1051806247493&skuId=4780115
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.