News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interstatefan990

This is in a private parking lot, but boy, I've never seen so many different elements of various MUTCD signs all sandwiched into one.

Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

UCFKnights

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2021, 05:20:30 PM
Yeah, what the FF does recycling have to do with yielding to equestrian traffic?
I think its saying bicycles yield to both horses and pedestrians, and pedestrians yield to horses? Maybe?

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: UCFKnights on March 13, 2021, 07:32:04 PM
Yeah, what the FF does recycling have to do with yielding to equestrian traffic?
I think its saying bicycles yield to both horses and pedestrians, and pedestrians yield to horses? Maybe?

The way I understand it is that both pedestrians and cyclists have to yield to horses, and cyclists have to yield to both pedestrians and horses. I think?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

1995hoo

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on March 13, 2021, 07:35:14 PM

The way I understand it is that both pedestrians and cyclists have to yield to horses, and cyclists have to yield to both pedestrians and horses. I think?

That seems to make sense to me. I haven't been on that segment of the trail, so I have no idea how common horses are.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2021, 07:59:55 PM

That seems to make sense to me. I haven't been on that segment of the trail, so I have no idea how common horses are.

That is indeed standard priority--literature and postings for shared-use trails in National Parks (I am thinking Cuyahoga Valley because that is what I use) say bikes yield to pedestrians, and everyone yields to horses.  If the arrows all pointed counterclockwise, you would have a neverending cycle of yielding.   
The recycling logo style arrows need to go though.

mrsman

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 13, 2021, 11:09:36 PM

That is indeed standard priority--literature and postings for shared-use trails in National Parks (I am thinking Cuyahoga Valley because that is what I use) say bikes yield to pedestrians, and everyone yields to horses.  If the arrows all pointed counterclockwise, you would have a neverending cycle of yielding.   

The sign is awful given that it is confusing to identify the message.  Sometimes one has to use complete English sentences and not rely on pictures alone.

PurdueBill

Quote from: mrsman on March 14, 2021, 12:26:02 AM

That seems to make sense to me. I haven’t been on that segment of the trail, so I have no idea how common horses are.

The sign is awful given that it is confusing to identify the message.  Sometimes one has to use complete English sentences and not rely on pictures alone.

This design is a little more comprehensible (no horses, but still 3 things).  Putting the icons at the corners and having straight arrows seems to clean it up a lot. 

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

kphoger

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 14, 2021, 11:05:55 AM

This design is a little more comprehensible (no horses, but still 3 things).  Putting the icons at the corners and having straight arrows seems to clean it up a lot. 

It never once occurred to me that the arrows actually meant anything at all on that sign.  And, if I have to stop and figure out a puzzle in order to know what to do, then the sign is a complete failure.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

This sign on the beginning of VA 5 EB in Richmond is a typical bridge clearance sign except there's no -0" after the '. Looks weird.

The sign on the rather short Orleans St (2nd pic) not far from here does it the right way.

Images from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

SectorZ

There is similar signage to this on the Nashua River Rail Trail from Ayer to Dunstable, MA. An example in Groton, https://goo.gl/maps/59gWFTuycWhwvxfP8

DRMan

The Loop in Tucson has the same type of sign. It took me a minute, but I figured it out. Of course, I was walking at the time.  https://images.app.goo.gl/1VgT9bezYkAFzDpG6

MCRoads

Is that a cat at the bottom corner? I doubt that a cat is going to yield to anyone. Hell, my neighbors cat purposely tries to trip me when he is outside!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Quote from: MCRoads on March 15, 2021, 04:07:53 PM
Is that a cat at the bottom corner? I doubt that a cat is going to yield to anyone. Hell, my neighbors cat purposely tries to trip me when he is outside!

I think they're roller skates.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mrsman

Seeing multiple examples of this posted leads me to believe this sign is somewhat standard.  It really shouldn't be.  Arrows going around a triangle are unnecessarily confusing.

The signs should really be a white rectangle with the following words.  (The words in brackets can be a picture.)

{Bikes} yield to {hikers}, {horses}
{Hikers} yield to {horses}

Does anyone know what they do in Europe for their trails?  Because of the multiple languages spoken there, they tend to abound in signs without words, and often they are pretty good.

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on March 15, 2021, 04:38:53 PM
Does anyone know what they do in Europe for their trails?

Let people just use common sense?   :cool:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

UCFKnights

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2021, 05:00:47 PM
Does anyone know what they do in Europe for their trails?

Let people just use common sense?   :cool:
Yeah I really can't imagine any of these signs have any effect on people's behavior. Its like the signs that say don't litter on the trail, I read a study that sign actually increased the amount of litter people left behind. No one is going to see it and think "oh I was going to throw this on the ground, but now I'm not since the sign says so"

thenetwork

Frafra Zoomer

Does anyone know what they do in Europe for their trails?  Because of the multiple languages spoken there, they tend to abound in signs without words, and often they are pretty good.

I only know abt. the Netherlands, and there it's usually a bike path where pedestrians have to not take up the whole path and block cyclists (just like when you walk on the road)

formulanone

Here's one of the more common varieties of the "everyone yield to horses" sign. Someone just whipped up a recycling logo probably because it was easily available. It makes semantic sense, but it adds complication, though you're probably not going too fast that it will baffle you, unless you're overthinking it.

(For those who aren't sure, horses can get spooked/confused easily, and someone can get hurt if they don't yield to a larger and more powerful animal.)

thenetwork

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thenetwork on March 17, 2021, 09:17:42 AM
A group of odd monstrosities -- one after another in Rock Springs, WY:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GWNDK6rV644SsmF5A

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d7Yxz41aaS3SpjcF7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7RABJVRAGBo9WaA76

That first link has double redundancy.  It has BUSINESS written above a Business Loop Interstate Shield, and instead of the distance to the exit, it has EXIT 107 written in it's place, along with an EXIT 107 tab.

Another thing about that link, it drives me crazy when Google Street View mislabels the road, but still kinda correct.  That link says you are on the main lanes of US-30 with no mention of I-80.  Yes they are cosigned there, but I-80 being the interstate, it should get "label priority".

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 17, 2021, 05:55:47 PM
Here's a recycled steep hill sign. The sign that was recycled? An "aluminium to recycle (arrow)" sign. Talk about ironic. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.188794,-71.4480507,3a,15y,305.84h,86.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPoDlYL40I9IO1YUX6WUzbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The front is worth looking at too!  I've never seen the grade marked like that.

Oh.  Canada.  Maybe that's normal there?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.