News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texas to Nebraska trip question

Started by ebuchanan, March 31, 2021, 02:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebuchanan

I might eventually have to do a different kind of trip than usual. I am thinking about going to Dallas to Northern California via Nebraska. I have done I80 across a lot of the country. Has anyone ever gone from north Texas on US281 to I80 in Nebraska? I wonder if part of it might be a bit slow in places by what I see on the map book I have. I could do US81 where possible from Texas then take I35 and I135 where US81 is with the freeway. Then I would take I80 West to California. I think the most likely is that I would just take I35 out of Dallas to I135. Then US81 to I80 West. I was on US81 in Nebraska years ago.
Are there any speed traps or bad neighborhoods on these three ideas? Basically I am trying to go home from Dallas via a north south route to Nebraska then get back home on I80 West. In other words I do not want to go home to California via Barstow this time. Also I have not taken two lane roads for several hundreds of miles either. It is a long way from Texas to Nebraska like that.
Thank you!

kphoger

I've only done the I-35/I-135/US-81 route (not all at the same time, but all of them within the last few years).  The roads are great, and US-81 is four lanes all the way up to York.  The only thing I'll say is that the speed drops to 55 at several of the small towns/junctions in Nebraska, and that you would do well to heed those speed drops.  Other than that, it's a fine route.

I've never done the US-281 option, but I imagine it would be much slower.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ebuchanan

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 03:15:11 PM
I've only done the I-35/I-135/US-81 route (not all at the same time, but all of them within the last few years).  The roads are great, and US-81 is four lanes all the way up to York.  The only thing I'll say is that the speed drops to 55 at several of the small towns/junctions in Nebraska, and that you would do well to heed those speed drops.  Other than that, it's a fine route.

I've never done the US-281 option, but I imagine it would be much slower.

Thank you! That is probably the way I will go if I do this trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.