News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

[Va Beach] Southeastern Parkway Killed

Started by deathtopumpkins, November 17, 2010, 09:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

QuoteNORFOLK, Va. (AP) - Federal regulators have rejected a proposed highway linking Virginia Beach and Chesapeake because of environmental concerns.

The proposed 21-mile Southeastern Parkway and Greenbelt has been a top transportation priority for Virginia Beach for more than two decades.

On Wednesday, the Federal Highway Administration rejected the proposal because it would consume more than 170 acres of wetlands, according to the Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk.

Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms said city leaders would evaluate how to proceed.

Also on Wednesday, a computer model ranking listed the project as the region's second most needed transportation improvement at a Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization meeting.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/feds-reject-southeastern-parkway-plan
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Revive 755

njroadhorse

Wow, way to go VA Beach.  The largest city in Virginia has concerns about the environment with a new roadway, when they sprawl like crazy.  I just don't get it sometimes.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Revive 755

^ Seems to be the Feds having issues with the environmental impact of the route, not the city

Alps

I can definitely see a need for the route, but 170 acres of wetlands will never fly.

njroadhorse

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 21, 2010, 10:54:10 PM
^ Seems to be the Feds having issues with the environmental impact of the route, not the city
If its over federally protected land, then I can see why.  I thought the city canceled it, but the wetlands make sense as to why the feds did.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.