News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MCRoads on June 16, 2018, 03:01:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 10, 2016, 05:38:18 PM

I think I remember passing this sign in this condition (the right one, the left one is funky due to 60 Hz electric) in January 2015 (per my biking records) but I don't seem to have a photo of it.

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!?

Also, where is this?

Southbound service area between 7A & 7 back to the NJ Turnpike. A truck must've left something in the up position! It has since been fixed.

MCRoads

Does it ever desplay anything besides the arrows (and the AND CARS text?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

odditude

Quote from: MCRoads on June 16, 2018, 06:38:34 PM
If either roadway is closed/degraded, special messages can be shown. The last time I remember seeing this was when Exit 7A was closed in the inner roadway southbound, but I couldn't tell you exactly what was displayed.

roadman

Quote from: odditude on June 18, 2018, 04:36:06 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on June 16, 2018, 06:38:34 PM
If either roadway is closed/degraded, special messages can be shown. The last time I remember seeing this was when Exit 7A was closed in the inner roadway southbound, but I couldn't tell you exactly what was displayed.
The only alternate message I've ever seen on these signs was when one of the roadways was closed.  It displayed ROADWAY CLOSED, and had red background instead of green.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ErmineNotyours

Extreme temperature swings are not nice to signs near Interstate 90 near Snoqualmie Pass.

Worn sign near Snoqualmie Pass by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 08, 2018, 07:57:21 PM
Extreme temperature swings are not nice to signs near Interstate 90 near Snoqualmie Pass.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1824/28417644407_357703ed88.jpg

Interesting that the k's are having an issue, and not any other letters.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on July 08, 2018, 09:38:41 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 08, 2018, 07:57:21 PM

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1824/28417644407_357703ed88.jpg
Interesting that the k's are having an issue, and not any other letters.

It looks like the fabricator initially put the upper-case K where the lower-case K belongs, and vice versa.

How one mixes that up, however, I don't know.

theline

Photo credit: South Bend Tribune

Here's what's left of a BGS on southbound St. Joseph Valley Parkway, a mile north of the SR 2 exit. Also pictured are the remains of the tanker truck that erupted. Amazingly enough, the driver walked away before the eruption. The SB lanes will be closed at least a few days. The heat was so intense that paint peeled off of nearby buildings.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/publicsafety/southbound-lanes-could-be-closed-for-several-days-on-bypass/article_be663758-a8ca-5cb5-80ee-dd6d69c527cf.html

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 15, 2018, 09:33:27 AM
Was working on some webpages when I came across this picture I had taken of a crossbuck near Athens, AL that's somewhat faded and beat-up and has had an arrow shot through it:
Crossbuck by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This isn't getting enough attention, so I'm reposting it.

Bruce

A section of SR 504 that was covered in lahar/mudflow deposits after Mt. St. Helens erupted in May 1980.

tckma

Does anyone who was at the Golden Spike Meet yesterday have a good picture of the already-damaged BGS assembly on the northbound flyover ramp THAT ISN'T EVEN OPEN TO TRAFFIC YET??

I think I have one, but not on this computer.

formulanone

Some may cal this damaged, or perhaps it just came apart over time, but the first thing that ran through my mind was: "convertible sign"!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2018, 03:38:21 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on June 16, 2018, 03:01:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 10, 2016, 05:38:18 PM

I think I remember passing this sign in this condition (the right one, the left one is funky due to 60 Hz electric) in January 2015 (per my biking records) but I don't seem to have a photo of it.

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!?

Also, where is this?

Southbound service area between 7A & 7 back to the NJ Turnpike. A truck must've left something in the up position! It has since been fixed.
I don't have a photo of it and the latest GSV from 2016 predates the damage; but at the northbound Joyce Kilmer Service Plaza between Exits 8A & 9, the LED section of the Trucks/Busses sign is completely taken out.  All one sees below the steel green panel is a see-through paned grid.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Truvelo

This bunch of signs has been struck by an out of control vehicle.

Speed limits limit life

1995hoo

Thread bumped because this fits perfectly in this thread. VDOT tweeted this about two hours ago as I type this.

https://twitter.com/VaDOTNOVA/status/1278772567042596865?s=20
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

STLmapboy

This electrically-lit street sign in Gilroy, CA, is missing a panel on one side.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

After the March 2020 tornado outbreak in Nashville, this happened.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Scott5114

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 05, 2020, 01:40:37 PM

That's a pretty common mode of failure for signs in a weak tornado; I've seen it here a lot. That's actually due to a hinge that's there as part of the breakaway safety feature. Easily fixed.

Strong tornadoes do weird stuff to signs. The May 19, 2013 tornado in Moore, OK blew one sign off a gantry but left the other panel (and the gantry itself) untouched.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

STLmapboy

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2020, 02:36:44 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on July 05, 2020, 01:40:37 PM

That's a pretty common mode of failure for signs in a weak tornado; I've seen it here a lot. That's actually due to a hinge that's there as part of the breakaway safety feature. Easily fixed.

Strong tornadoes do weird stuff to signs. The May 19, 2013 tornado in Moore, OK blew one sign off a gantry but left the other panel (and the gantry itself) untouched.

Further down the road a tree fallen onto a sign:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1393376,-85.5725249,3a,43.1y,321.95h,93.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soKIRcMpKmzKg1ttfnB66HA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

csw

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

csw

This sign along I-75 SB has seen better days.

STLmapboy

Akwardly contorted sign on I-90 in rural SD. Oddly, the route marker (SD-63) is missing too.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.