News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Missing" speed limits

Started by The High Plains Traveler, August 01, 2016, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

Official speed limits (positive integer, evenly divisible by 5) higher than 20 mph and lower than the maximum legal speed in a state that are never posted. Examples:

Arizona doesn't seem to have 60 or 70 mph zones.
Colorado doesn't seem to have 70 mph zones.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hotdogPi

60 in CT, RI, VT, NH, ME, and NY. (MA has a 60 section.)
70 in ME.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vdeane

Didn't ME just raise several roadways to 70?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wxfree

None of the numbers is missing in Texas, but for how much roadway we have I always thought that 65 was noticeably underused.  70 is the default, and 60 is used on a lot of Farm to Market Roads.  Other than the environmental speed limits, which were removed from the DFW area last year but still exist around Houston, and construction speed limits, 65 is uncommon.  I always thought that TxDOT didn't bother with a lower speed limit unless the need was enough to lower it by a full 10 mph.  That's not an actual thought so much as a fanciful imaginary scenario.  In reality, I don't know why it's used so infrequently.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jeffandnicole

In 65 mph max NJ, I've seen 60 used twice on a temporary basis: Once was on the NJ Turnpike's old vane display speed limit signage (again, once...on one sign...which could've easily been a display error).  More recently the AC Expressway used 60 mph for a construction zone.  Otherwise, there's no permanent 60 mph zones in the state.

I don't know of any permanent 60 mph zones in Delaware (65 mph max) or Pennsylvania (70 mph max) either.

TEG24601

Washington seems to use most everything, except 65, except in one or two spots, or on the variable signs.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

PHLBOS

I don't believe that either PA nor DE have any posted 60 mph zones.  60 mph speed advisories along some stretches of the PA Turnpike; I've seen are about it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

machias

Quote from: 1 on August 01, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
60 in CT, RI, VT, NH, ME, and NY. (MA has a 60 section.)
70 in ME.

I know NY had 60 MPH posted pre NMSL days because I've seen a couple of SPEED LIMIT 60 signs in the classic NYSDOT "Lehay" type font lying in scrap yards. I have no idea why New York doesn't post 60 MPH now, I've always thought there should be a 60 MPH advisory limit on NY 49 WB where the parallel road to the Thruway departs the ROW to the northwest.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on August 01, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
60 in CT
The posted speed along the CT Turnpike, pre-NMSL, was 60 mph.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on August 01, 2016, 01:01:50 PM

Yes, almost everything that was 65 is now 70.

DevalDragon

Drive I-35W and you will learn to hate the 65 mph speed limit. Ignore it and you will find out how much law enforcement loves it.

Which is wild, because I-35 E is now 75 where it used to be 65.

Quote from: vdeane on August 01, 2016, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: wxfree on August 01, 2016, 01:16:51 PM
None of the numbers is missing in Texas, but for how much roadway we have I always thought that 65 was noticeably underused. 

Eth

I've never seen 60 in Georgia, outside of construction zones on normally-70-mph Interstates. I also can't recall any 50s off the top of my head; if they exist, they seem to be extremely rare.

myosh_tino

Just some notables in California...

45 - US 101/Golden Gate Bridge
50 - US 101 in San Francisco from I-280 to I-80
55 - Very common across California
60 - CA-58 on 2-lane segment in Hinkley (soon to replaced)
65 - Typical on urban freeways and rural expressways.
70 - Typical on rural freeways.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

lordsutch

Quote from: Eth on August 01, 2016, 06:09:40 PM
I've never seen 60 in Georgia, outside of construction zones on normally-70-mph Interstates. I also can't recall any 50s off the top of my head; if they exist, they seem to be extremely rare.

I-75 from Eisenhower Pkwy to Pierce Ave in Macon is signed at 60 mph (up from 55 mph in the last year or so). That's the only example I can think of off-hand, although some other 55 mph roads probably are worthy of 60 if not 65 (I-520 for example).

There's a 50 mph section of US 23/441 near the NC state line; parts of US 23 in north Macon are also 50 mph. But it is pretty uncommon in my experience.

jbnv

None in Louisiana.

75 - Rural parts of I-49 north of Opelousas.
70 - All other rural interstates.
65 - Suburban interstates, expressways.
60 - Urban interstates.
55 - Rural highways.
50 - Golden Meadow. (This is a joke for fellow Louisianians.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

paulthemapguy

60 didn't exist on expressways in Illinois until the massive speed limit overhaul a couple years ago.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

delstein

I can think of specific 20 (mostly school zones), 25 and 35-70 zones in Ohio, but no 30 zone comes to mind. I've definitely seen it posted, though.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on August 01, 2016, 12:08:01 PM
Arizona doesn't seem to have 60 or 70 mph zones.

Which is unfortunate, because there are many roads here where those would work well.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

CNGL-Leudimin

After that period they lowered speed limits on freeways due to 'high gas prices' back in 2011, I don't think any road in Spain has a 110 km/h (68 mph) speed limit.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bzakharin

NJ doesn't have any 60s. There was one for a short time on the Atlantic City Expressway in a construction zone. Some other odd patterns are a general dearth of 30s and a lack of 45s on rural 2-lane roads (it's either 40 or 50)

The High Plains Traveler

With their recent speed limit raises, Oregon should still be missing 60. Someone from that region could confirm.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

7/8

I can't think of any missing speed limits in Ontario:

40 km/h is typical in school zones
50 km/h is common on residential streets and many urban roads
60 km/h is common on urban arterials
70 km/h can be found on lower quality rural roads, some urban arterials and roads on the urban-rural boundary
80 km/h is the default on rural roads
90 km/h on some freeways (Conestoga Parkway, the Linc, Red Hill Parkway, part of the 403, I think the Gardiner and DVP too), some rural roads in southwestern Ontario, and Northern Ontario
100 km/h on most freeways

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 01, 2016, 01:37:39 PM
Washington seems to use most everything, except 65, except in one or two spots, or on the variable signs.

65 is somewhat common in Eastern Washington on rural (but well-maintained) 2-lanes. US 12 is a big one.

roadfro

Nevada typical speed limits (which, except for school areas, are by no means official):

15 - School zones
20 - **not common**
25 - Residential streets; some minor collectors & downtown streets; School Crossing zones
30 - Some minor collectors & downtown streets
35 - Collectors; some major 2-lane arterials
40 - Arterials (not incredibly common)
45 - Most major 3-lane arterials
50 - Some minor rural highways; some major arterials (e.g. McCarran Blvd in Reno/Sparks)
55 - Many rural state highways
60 - Some rural highways (especially in mountainous/curvy areas)
65 - Urban freeways; some rural highways
70 - Rural US highways and rural Interstates
75 - Rural Interstates only
80 - **Legal maximum - not yet posted (to my knowledge)**
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

pianocello

The least common in Iowa are 20 and 60. AFAIK, only I-235 has a speed limit of 60, and there are no 20 zones in my part of the state (although it's extremely likely that they exist elsewhere).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.