Nevada Pre NMSL reasonable and proper

Started by Ingsoc75, May 10, 2018, 06:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingsoc75

Were there actual signs posted that stated this?
Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

SSR_317

Quote from: Ingsoc75 on May 10, 2018, 06:40:14 PM
I believer there were, both in NV and MT, the two states that had unlimited speed highways prior to the mandated 55 MPH law. Sorry I don't have any photos of them, but I'm sure someone here likely does.

Mapmikey

Quote from: SSR_317 on May 21, 2018, 11:02:04 AM
Quote from: Ingsoc75 on May 10, 2018, 06:40:14 PM
I believer there were, both in NV and MT, the two states that had unlimited speed highways prior to the mandated 55 MPH law. Sorry I don't have any photos of them, but I'm sure someone here likely does.

Photos are around for the Montana version from when they brought it back 1995-98.

An example: https://goo.gl/images/crMben

Ingsoc75

Yeah I'm well aware of MT signs (a few are in my speed limit sign gallery linked in my profile).

I just find it hard to believe that if there was a sign for NV version, nobody has any photos. Maybe there is a NV record archives that may have something.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ingsoc75 on May 24, 2018, 08:48:00 AM
Yeah I'm well aware of MT signs (a few are in my speed limit sign gallery linked in my profile).

I just find it hard to believe that if there was a sign for NV version, nobody has any photos. Maybe there is a NV record archives that may have something.

In the pre-internet, pre-SD card days, there was film.  And you had very limited room on that film.  Most people don't take road pictures to begin with, especially of fairly generic signage. 

And in Nevada, where very few people traveled, you have a very limited possibility of someone taking a picture of such sign. 

And then, even if that were to occur, you would now need them to hunt down a photo that's 40 some-odd years old, scan it, and post it on a website where it would be locatable.

I've tried locating pictures of various things in NJ.  When you go back to the pre-internet days, you may get lucky and a newspaper uploaded a historical photo album.  But it's rare to find much more than that.

Ingsoc75

I hear what you are saying. I got most of my pre-NMSL photos from going through online newspaper archives.

All in all it just comes down to some detective work.

vdeane

Does NDOT have a photolog going that far back?  If so, it might be possible to do a freedom of information request.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadfro

Quote from: vdeane on May 24, 2018, 08:06:57 PM
Does NDOT have a photolog going that far back?  If so, it might be possible to do a freedom of information request.
NDOT doesn't have a publicly-accessible highway photo log on their website. If they have one at all, it's an internal product (like their milepost database).

FWIW, I've never seen a "Reasonable and Prudent" sign from Nevada, in real life or in a photo. (I'm not old enough to have seen one back when that was the law.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Quote from: roadfro on May 26, 2018, 12:08:43 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 24, 2018, 08:06:57 PM
NDOT doesn't have a publicly-accessible highway photo log on their website. If they have one at all, it's an internal product (like their milepost database).
That's where the freedom of information act/law request would come in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.