News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 91 Signing Work

Started by roadman, April 05, 2012, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky

Quote from: roadman on December 27, 2013, 12:26:07 PM
Hopefully, they'll also correct that W3-5 overlay on the new overhead "Expect Stopped Or Slowed Traffic Ahead" sign.

First thing I noticed.

Quote from: bob7374 on February 17, 2014, 02:41:31 PM
From perusing the MassDOT project advertisement site today, it appears the contract (607470) to replace the signs along I-91 from West Springfield to Berndardston is to be let on April 23. Would 2016 be a reasonable end date? If so, what would be a projected date for new milepost based exit numbers to appear on I-91?

My guess it that the contract end date and the projected date for milepost based exit numbers are not related, although you would like to think they should be.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on February 17, 2014, 04:18:04 PM
Hopefully, they'll also correct that W3-5 overlay on the new overhead "Expect Stopped Or Slowed Traffic Ahead" sign.

First thing I noticed.

From perusing the MassDOT project advertisement site today, it appears the contract (607470) to replace the signs along I-91 from West Springfield to Berndardston is to be let on April 23. Would 2016 be a reasonable end date? If so, what would be a projected date for new milepost based exit numbers to appear on I-91?

My guess it that the contract end date and the projected date for milepost based exit numbers are not related, although you would like to think they should be.

Although the I-91 contract documents haven't yet been released to bidders, my best guess is that the project duration should be between 15 and 18 months from issuance of notice to proceed.

As for the exit numbering changes, it is my understanding that Phase I of the conversion (Western/Southern Mass.) which should include I-91, is now scheduled to begin in early 2016.  MassDOT's intent is to convert exit numbers on a route by route basis, and will begin with routes where sign updates have been completed in the past 10 to 12 years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on February 19, 2014, 12:55:20 PM

Although the I-91 contract documents haven't yet been released to bidders, my best guess is that the project duration should be between 15 and 18 months from issuance of notice to proceed.

As for the exit numbering changes, it is my understanding that Phase I of the conversion (Western/Southern Mass.) which should include I-91, is now scheduled to begin in early 2016.  MassDOT's intent is to convert exit numbers on a route by route basis, and will begin with routes where sign updates have been completed in the past 10 to 12 years.
Given the 10-12 year limit and the 2016 time frame, for the western portion of MA, along with I-91, I would expect I-84 to be in the first group along with I-291 (if there are plans to change exit numbers on short distance routes) and perhaps I-395 and MA 146, if Worcester is considered west. I-391 (again if there are plans to convert short routes) would be out since the latest signs were put up in 2002. As for southern routes, I-195 should be completely updated by that time while both MA 146 and MA 25 have had their signage updated within the past 5 years or so. Would US 6 would make the cut? Would MA 3 be included as a southeastern route?

mass_citizen

does the federal mandate apply to MA routes? I would think priority would be to complete all interstate routes first?

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on February 21, 2014, 10:24:37 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 19, 2014, 12:55:20 PM

Given the 10-12 year limit and the 2016 time frame, for the western portion of MA, along with I-91, I would expect I-84 to be in the first group along with I-291 (if there are plans to change exit numbers on short distance routes) and perhaps I-395 and MA 146, if Worcester is considered west. I-391 (again if there are plans to convert short routes) would be out since the latest signs were put up in 2002. As for southern routes, I-195 should be completely updated by that time while both MA 146 and MA 25 have had their signage updated within the past 5 years or so. Would US 6 would make the cut? Would MA 3 be included as a southeastern route?
MassDOT's plan is to convert all freeways, including both "short distance" routes and those roads that are not Interstate routes, that presently have exit numbers to milepost-based exit numbers.  This would include Route 3 and Route 6.

FYI, the Massachusetts House has filed legislation to require MassDOT to convert to mileage-based exit numbers, except that the legislation seems to require that the work be done in one fell swoop, like Pennsylvania did.  https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H3103
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 24, 2014, 10:11:38 AMMassDOT's plan is to convert all freeways, including both "short distance" routes and those roads that are not Interstate routes, that presently have exit numbers to milepost-based exit numbers.  This would include Route 3 and Route 6.
The interchange number coversion along the Mid-Cape Highway/US 6 should prove interesting; the current Exits 1A-B-C will likely become Exits 55A-B-C.

Off-topic side bar: looking at GSV; it appears that MA 3's Mile Marker 0 is at the northern base of the Sagamore Bridge rather than its interchange w/US 6 (when did the old rotary go away?).

North 3 Mile 0 via US 6 West
South 3 Mile 0 via US 6 East
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 24, 2014, 12:36:53 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 24, 2014, 10:11:38 AMMassDOT's plan is to convert all freeways, including both "short distance" routes and those roads that are not Interstate routes, that presently have exit numbers to milepost-based exit numbers.  This would include Route 3 and Route 6.
The interchange number coversion along the Mid-Cape Highway/US 6 should prove interesting; the current Exits 1A-B-C will likely become Exits 55A-B-C.

Off-topic side bar: looking at GSV; it appears that MA 3's Mile Marker 0 is at the northern base of the Sagamore Bridge rather than its interchange w/US 6 (when did the old rotary go away?).

North 3 Mile 0 via US 6 West
South 3 Mile 0 via US 6 East
That is indeed an interesting sidebar, considering the BEGIN 3 assemblies after US 6 leaves.

NE2

I bet it's there because US 6 is inventoried eastbound, and that's about where US 6 eastbound joins the freeway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEVIN_224

I saw a few new posts up on I-91 today in Springfield, MA. They're the side supports for eventual new gantries which would span a given side of the highway. I also noticed a new sign over I-91 south in Springfield. I believe it was the exit for I-291/US 20 East. This sign had "TO I-90" and the "MASS PIKE" hat logo square on it. It looked like MASS_CITIZEN's avatar.

shadyjay

MassDOT's site is reporting 80% complete on the Longmeadow-W. Springfield contract.  Anyone have any updates?  There's a slight possibility that I will make it down that far south for Easter, but no guarentees on whether it will be a road or rail trip.

shadyjay

Just came through Springfield from VT on Amtrak and from what I could see from the train (between Exits 8 & 1), the project definitely doesn't look 80% complete.  A few new overheads, a few others with only supports - no "over the lane" gantries yet, and some others not even touched.  If I can get some pics on the return trip on Monday I will, but no guarentees, from the windows of a train.

Did notice NB Exit 5, which was simply signed "Broad St" is now signed "Broad St / Main St". 

roadman

I second shadyjay's comments on the I-91 progress.  Was last through Downtown Springfield in the middle of March returning from a memorial service in Agawam, and there appeared to be very little progress with even sign support foundations at that time.  Not sure about north of the Springfield Viaduct, as I didn't make it up that far.

I will be going to Springfield for a meeting in a couple of weeks, so I'll check further on the progress at that point and report back here.

shadyjay

A blast from the past on I-91 North... came across the pic of Exit 28, taken in 1984, courtesy the NERAIL Photo Archive (photos.nerail.org):

I'm guessing this is the "first generation" of signage that was installed on I-91 in this area.  The present sign is mounted on a newer gantry and is nearly identical but has aligned exit tabs and "1/4 mile" replaces "NEXT RIGHT" on the Exit 28B panel.  I believe the "second generation" was installed sometime in the early 90s. 

roadman

@shadyjay  Thanks for sharing the photo.  As a road sign guy and a railfan, I especially appreciate it.

The current overhead sign and structure at this location were installed as part of the 1993 Longmeadow to Bernardston I-91 sign replacement project.  As I recall, the sign support replaced at that time was first generation (late 1960s), but the sign panels replaced at that time were early to mid-1970s vintage - one clue is the "code" information in the lower left hand corner of the sign faces.  While I can't make out the legends, it is clearly a much simpler format than MassHighway/MassDOT has used on overhead signs since the late 1980s.

shadyjay

So this isn't the original generation of signage for I-91 at this point?  If that's the case, then the first set of signage only lasted some 10 years before replacement.  Must've been button copy.

And myself also being a railfan as well as a "road enthusiast", I look forward to Amtrak returning to the line paralleling I-91 in Mass north of Springfield.  Maybe someone will recreate this scene with a passenger train over that bridge, something which hasn't occured since 1987.

KEVIN_224

http://goo.gl/maps/ZeVi6

This is the current gantry and signs for that Bernardston exit. I've also noticed that it's quite a bit further south than the gantry was in 1984.

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on May 09, 2014, 09:21:04 PM
So this isn't the original generation of signage for I-91 at this point?  If that's the case, then the first set of signage only lasted some 10 years before replacement.  Must've been button copy.

I'll have to do some digging to verify this, but I suspect the original signing at this location was the older MassDPW standard ground-mounted button copy on painted plywood BGS signs.

QuoteAnd myself also being a railfan as well as a "road enthusiast", I look forward to Amtrak returning to the line paralleling I-91 in Mass north of Springfield.  Maybe someone will recreate this scene with a passenger train over that bridge, something which hasn't occured since 1987.
Depending upon how soon Amtrak service begins, you may wind up getting the next generation of signs and supports to be installed in this location in your shot.  Bids for re-signing the upper end of I-91 (West Springfield to Bernardston) are scheduled to be opened in late June.

DrSmith

It appears that most of the new overhead signs are up at this point.  The place where there is the most old signs remaining is near the 291 interchange.  However, I wonder if those signs are possibly planned to be updated during the rehabilitation of the elevated portions of 91 through there.

roadman

Quote from: DrSmith on May 26, 2014, 04:20:09 PM
It appears that most of the new overhead signs are up at this point.  The place where there is the most old signs remaining is near the 291 interchange.  However, I wonder if those signs are possibly planned to be updated during the rehabilitation of the elevated portions of 91 through there.
Just last week, I got word from one of my sources that the new signs and structures for the Springfield Viaduct portion of the Longmeadow to West Springfield I-91 sign project have been fabricated and delivered, but that they will be put into storage and not installed until completion of the viaduct rehab project.

shadyjay

They did.... the SL sign is now standard black on white.  Everything else is black on yellow.

Drove I-91 SB this evening through all of Mass.  Seems like no new signs are being installed on the viaduct, as previously noted.  Almost all new signage points north and south.  What's interesting is the new SB sign advertising CT Exit 49 has been changed from "5 / Enfield Street / Connecticut" to "5 / Enfield CT / Thompsonville CT". 

Took a few pics... they didn't come out the best since I was driving, but I'll post what I got in a little while.

Will be returning NB on Sunday so hopefully I'll get some better shots in that direction.

shadyjay

Here's a few shots from Friday evening:

Rest of the shots at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108118189767835080687/I91SignReplacementInMass

Weather's beautiful for my NB travel today so I'll hopefully get some shots in that direction and get 'em online tonight, if not, tomorrow.

shadyjay

A couple of the NB highlights, with the full album located at:  https://picasaweb.google.com/108118189767835080687/I91SignReplacementInMass#

Looks like the project is substantially complete, save for the viaduct signage.

Also interesting to note, all "TRUCKS PROHIBITED FROM LEFT LANE" signs are gone, replaced with the new style symbols:  a truck symbol with a line through it, with a LEFT LANE sign below.  The TRUCK CROSSING sign near the CT/MA border is also now a symbol of a fire truck.

roadman

Have they installed Once I clicked on the link, I saw they have installed the new diagrammatic signs on I-91 northbound in advance of I-391 yet?.  My bad for not fully reading the post first.

Edited to reflect ShadyJay's response.

Zeffy

Quote from: shadyjay on June 17, 2014, 09:13:52 PM

Is that style of pointing normally UP arrows DOWN a MassDOT practice? I haven't seen it in many other places than Massachusetts. I personally think that the arrow pointing upwards in some direction (either up-left or up-right) is better than pointing it downwards like shown.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman

Quote from: Zeffy on June 18, 2014, 11:53:24 AM
Is that style of pointing normally UP arrows DOWN a MassDOT practice? I haven't seen it in many other places than Massachusetts. I personally think that the arrow pointing upwards in some direction (either up-left or up-right) is better than pointing it downwards like shown.
Use of downward slanted lane assignment arrows on certain BGSes has been a Massachusetts standard practice since the late 1980s.  The intent of this treatment was to emphasize that the roadway or ramp curves immediately after the sign, and to use downward slanted arrows at such locations for consistency with other lane assignment signs.  In the past, one of the reasons FHWA had traditionally been against such downward placement of arrows was because agencies would typically use Type C down arrows mounted at an angle - which are barely discernible as such at any distance, instead of the "inverted" Type A arrows that Massachusetts uses.

And yes, present MUTCD requirements regarding arrows on guide signs are now much stricter than they were, even compared to the 2003 edition.  However, note that the I-91 project was designed and approved before Massachusetts officially adopted the 2009 MUTCD.  Nevertheless, it is likely the MassDOT may be changing its policy in this regard on future projects.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.