News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Upcoming trip from Hastings MI to Houston TX

Started by brianreynolds, November 09, 2013, 11:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianreynolds

I will be leaving the Saturday before Thanksgiving for my fourth visit to Houston since April.  My wife will accompany me, her third trip, only because she stayed in Houston between my second and third visits.

If this route has a theme, it would be "someday I-69 will be here".  It will include as much of current and future I-69 as possible

Day One will be from Hastings to Kentucky, endng as close to the west junction of I-24 and I-69 as possible.  From Hastings, local roads to Marshall, then I-69 (or its current alternative) to Grand Rivers KY.  Supper at Patti's there.  Overnight a few minutes down the road near Calvert City.  Lunch will be near Bloomington, or maybe a half-hour one way or the other.  Any lunch suggestions?

Day Two will be from Calvert City to Pine Bluff or El Dorado AR.  Purchase Parkway to the TN state line, then US-45E and BYP US-45 to south of Jackson, then TN-18, TN-57, TN-385 to I-240.  Then I-55 to the short stretch of I-69 to US-61 to US-49 to Helena.  Continuing US-49 to US-79 to Pine Bluff.  US-425 to Monticello, US-278 and US-63 to El Dorado.

Lunch will probably be in Mississippi somewhere between Memphis and Helena.  Suggestions?  Overnight will be on the east side of Pine Bluff or in El Dorado. 

From El Dorado, US-167 to Winnfield, US-84 and LA-6 to west of Natchitoches, LA-117 to Leesville, LA-8, TX-63 and US-190 to Livingston, US-59 into Houston.  Lunch will probably be around Leesville.

Travel time is limited to about 8 hours each day, partly because of the limited daylight hours this time of year, partly because I'm traveling with my wife. 

Food and lodging advice is very welcome.  I can cope with third-rate overnight accommodations, but my lady is less tolerant.  Locally-owned non-chain food is preferred.

Any speed-traps or construction nightmares to avoid?

hbelkins

I've never eaten at Patti's, but I've heard great things about it. Their thick pork chops are legendary, even up here on the other side of the state. If I ever do a tour-type meet in the western part of the state, which would include I-69, Patti's is where I hope to have the lunch. I would suggest calling ahead to make a reservation once you have a general idea of what time you will be there.

There are a couple of chain motels at the US 62 Kentucky Dam exit of I-24, but I have never stayed at any of them. Paducah would be too far out of your way, where there are a lot more lodging choices. You might wish to inquire about lodging at Kentucky Dam Village State Park. I have never stayed there, but Kentucky state parks generally have nice lodges and I have heard good things about Kentucky Dam Village. Patti's Inn & Suites at the Grand Rivers exit off I-24 used to be a Microtel, so if you're familiar with Microtel you'll know what to expect from their rooms. If you can press on a bit, there are some chain places at Benton and Mayfield.

If you're looking to stay true to the I-69 routing in Tennessee, you will want to follow US 51 through Tennessee, not US 45E. There's some construction in the Union City area that is visible from the current route, and the freeway part of US 51 is signed as the Future I-69 corridor.

You will run into some minor construction along the Pennyrile Parkway and the I-69 portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway, but nothing major. I think most of the paving along I-24 will be wrapped up for the season by the time you make your trip. Try to check and see if there will be any work on the US 41 bridges between Henderson and Evansville, because even something minor there can tie up traffic big-time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

brianreynolds

Quote from: hbelkins on November 10, 2013, 03:34:23 PM
You might wish to inquire about lodging at Kentucky Dam Village State Park. I have never stayed there, but Kentucky state parks generally have nice lodges and I have heard good things about Kentucky Dam Village.

I just checked out their website.  Looks very good.  Strong possibility we will be staying there.

If you're looking to stay true to the I-69 routing in Tennessee, you will want to follow US 51 through Tennessee, not US 45E.

Yeah, from the KY-TN line to Jackson, Bolivar and Memphis, and then again from El Dorado AR to Livingston TX, I am varying from the I-69 theme, mostly for county-counting purposes.

Thanks, H. B.  Good advice.

hbelkins

Quote from: brianreynolds on November 10, 2013, 08:57:38 PM
You might wish to inquire about lodging at Kentucky Dam Village State Park. I have never stayed there, but Kentucky state parks generally have nice lodges and I have heard good things about Kentucky Dam Village.

I just checked out their website.  Looks very good.  Strong possibility we will be staying there.

You will also be able to get a pretty good breakfast at the lodge dining room if you wish.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.