News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Official Announcement: ICC Meet Second Weekend, December 4 (Sunday)

Started by Alps, November 16, 2011, 07:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

We've all been calling MD 200 as the ICC here since before the dawn of time.  Your problem is that you don't read any threads not related to central Ohio.

The press has been calling it the ICC as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vtk on December 11, 2011, 09:22:23 AM
A hypothetical young roadgeek from Gaithersburg might have missed out on this meet simply because ICC doesn't sound like anything local to him, either.
Any young roadgeek living in Gaithersburg (or anywhere near the DC metro area), who was paying any attention at all, would have been very aware what "ICC" meant for the region.  If the extended and intense local controversy about the highway wasn't enough, the rarity of new major highways in the region, and heavy advertising by Maryland transportation officials about ICC openings, would've been a tipoff.

I can understand some confusion among roadgeeks who live outside the region.  But they're not likely to be interested in DC metro area meets anyway, except for the ones who regularly take long road trips to meets (we got a few of those, including from upstate New York and the Carolinas), and read more than just the topic lines in road meet announcements.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vtk

So the ICC is also a local highway? This was not clear to me before; please refer to my original couriosity and minor annoyance about the use of a local term.

Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2011, 12:55:38 PM
I can understand some confusion among roadgeeks who live outside the region.  But they're not likely to be interested in DC metro area meets anyway, except for the ones who ... read more than just the topic lines in road meet announcements.

Thanks for understanding.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

I can understand some confusion among roadgeeks who live outside the region.  But they're not likely to be interested in DC metro area meets anyway, except for the ones who regularly take long road trips to meets (we got a few of those, including from upstate New York and the Carolinas)...

And Kentucky.  :clap:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Takumi

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 11, 2011, 08:52:06 PM
I think my ICC joke went SPLAT.

I figured you were trolling. I just didn't want to say anything.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on December 11, 2011, 05:15:50 PM
So the ICC is also a local highway? This was not clear to me before; please refer to my original couriosity and minor annoyance about the use of a local term.

I can understand some confusion among roadgeeks who live outside the region.  But they're not likely to be interested in DC metro area meets anyway, except for the ones who … read more than just the topic lines in road meet announcements.

Thanks for understanding.

If your school did a field trip to D.C. (like broke-ass Buckeye Valley did for me and my brothers), you rode over the ICC.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 12, 2011, 09:30:00 PM
If your school did a field trip to D.C. (like broke-ass Buckeye Valley did for me and my brothers), you rode over the ICC.

I doubt it.  We flew in via Reagan National, and never had a reason to enter Maryland.  Also, this was in 1997, and according to my admittedly minimal research, the road wasn't built yet. (My older brother had the unfortunate timing of his field trip ocurring in the middle of a govt shutdown...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vdeane

My school's trip went down US 15 and I-270/I-495 to the George Washington Pkwy.  Why would we go on the ICC?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So ICC is not I-370?
I always thought the two were one and the same.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

oscar

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 14, 2011, 12:19:22 AM
So ICC is not I-370?
I always thought the two were one and the same.

The ICC starts at the east end of I-370 (north of the Shady Grove Metrorail station, which was the primary destination served by I-370 pre-ICC), and ends (for now) at I-95.  It's all signed as MD 200.

I think it unlikely that travelers from outside the region would often use the ICC to get to or from D.C.  The ICC is basically a west-east highway, most useful for traffic between western Montgomery County MD and points east such as Columbia, BWI airport, Baltimore, or Annapolis.  Out-of-region travelers from or through western Maryland and Pennsylvania would ordinarily better stay on I-270 if headed into D.C. (and I-370 if planning to leave their cars at the Metro station and take the subway into D.C.), or I-70 if headed toward Baltimore.  Travelers from the north to D.C. would usually stay on I-270 or I-95 to I-495, also skipping past the ICC.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.