News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Birmingham Road Meet - October 20th 2012

Started by codyg1985, June 30, 2012, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

As discussed in this thread, I am planning to have a Birmingham, AL road meet on October 20th.

The primary focus of the meet would be the I-22/I-65 interchange construction, which should be moving right along come this fall. If we have time, we can check out malfunction junction (I-20/59/65 interchange), the I-459 symmetrical stacks at I-65 and I-20, one of the oldest cloverleafs in the United States at US 31 and Lakeshore Drive, Old US 78 alignments north and west of Birmingham, Old US 280 alignments southeast of Birmingham, and/or US 31/280 (Red Mountain Expressway), including the massive rock cut through Red Mountain. We could also check out I-22 itself going northwest from Birmingham.

I will also create a Facebook event as well.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

wriddle082

October sounds like a good time for me.  Haven't been through Birmingham in a few years, and every time I do go through there it's to get somewhere else.  It would be nice to see it as a destination for once.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

This would be a really neat road meet to attend, but I have a feeling that Birmingham will be a little far for me for a weekend trip. I'd no doubt have to take a day off from work, and I'm not sure if I have any more days available for me to use. :-(
-A.J. from Michigan

brianreynolds

This one is a possibility for me.  My wife and I are considering a trip to the Outer Banks in late September or early October.  If that trip happens it would probably preempt this meet.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

brianreynolds

Well, it looks like the Outer Banks trip has been pre-empted by local obligations for my wife.

That leaves me with a weekend available for roadtrippin'.  The next question is .....

Richmond?  Or Birmingham?  It can be one, but it can't be both.

I like to combine Road-OCD trips with live music stops.  The Richmond meet offered a possibility.

That very Saturday night in a far-West burb of DC, a subset of one of my favorite '70s bands (Little Feat)  will be playing in what sounds like a fairly small setting, with some other '70s era notables.  Very tempting.

The Birmingham meet offers a different opportunity.  On Friday night before the meet, in Nashville, at Ryman Auditorium (hallowed musical ground if ever there was). Teddy Thompson will be playing with Rufus Wainwright.  Rufus is the headliner, the bigger star, but I am more of a fan of Teddy's music.  And, I have never been to a show at the Ryman.

So, as of right now, I'm planning to be in Nashville the evening of the 19th of October, then on to B'ham in the morning.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastigs Michigan

jpi

Good to hear Brian! Steph and I may pass you Saturday morning on I-65 somewhere en route to Birmingham!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Brian, you'll also get a chance to pick up some of those Kentucky counties you wanted to get the day before the Dayton meet but couldn't.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wriddle082

Richmond meet is October 13.  Birmingham meet is October 20.  Then on the weekend of the 27th, we are going to take our 3-year-old up to Great Wolf Lodge in the Charlotte area to play on the waterslides with a little friend of hers.  Since GWL is pretty expensive as it is, I've decided to only go to one of the two meets.  And I've decided that it will be Richmond.  Both cities are probably the same distance from Columbia, but if I go to Richmond, I'll have a weekend to rest before I go out of town again.  Sorry!

Cody, I know that at some point before the year is out, I'll go to Tennessee to visit my family.  Maybe we can get together either on my way up or on my way back, either in Birmingham or up in TN since 840 should be open by the time I make that trip.

hbelkins

This meet is starting to look doubtful for me, as much as I was looking forward to it. If my wife goes to NYC for a book-signing, as she is thinking about doing, she won't be back in time for me to make it to Birmingham.

I am giving some thought to roadtripping down that way to check out future I-22 the first weekend of November as a consolation prize for not getting to attend the meet.

codyg1985

Apologies for failing to update this thread. :-/

We are a bit over two weeks away from the meet! Looks like Logan's in Fultondale is the winner for the meet up location.

I am going to create an itinerary for the trip. If anyone on here is interested in attending that isn't on the Facebook event page, please post on here! I need to know a head count so I will know how many itineraries to print and how many to expect at the restaurant.

Also, after touring the I-22/I-65 interchange (it may take 1.5 hours tops), what would you be more interested in seeing in and around Birmingham? There is a lot to see! I want to try and accommodate as much from everyone as possible.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

I am planning on attending this meet. 

jpi

Now that Richmond is behind us, time to focus on this road meet! Looking forward to seeing everyone this Saturday!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

brianreynolds

Sad to report that I will not be able to attend.  Too many work obligations and deadlines.

Don't you just hate it whan commerce gets in the way of a good time!

I won't have a break in my schedule until the week (and weekend) after Christmas.

Would anybody be considering a meet for that weekend?

Preferably in a warm-weather location. 

I'll bet there are plenty of Road-OCD features in and around Key West.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

hbelkins

As posted on Facebook, I'm definitely out. My better half is in New Jersey and she won't be home until Sunday, so someone has to feed her dogs and cats.

Quote from: brianreynolds on October 17, 2012, 08:19:42 AM
I won't have a break in my schedule until the week (and weekend) after Christmas.

Would anybody be considering a meet for that weekend?

Jeff Kitsko sometimes hosts a SW Pennsylvania meet during that timeframe, but he didn't last year and I have heard no speculation as to whether or not he will this year.

I would love to host a KY-OH-WV tri-state meet, but the weather is so unpredictable around here. And, one of the attractions is no more. The button copy along I-64 has been replaced with Clearview.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2012, 01:48:14 PMThe button copy along I-64 has been replaced with Clearview.

was this in WV or KY?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

WV. Kentucky replaced older non-button copy signs on I-64 with new signage back in the mid 1990s.

oldblue910

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2012, 01:48:14 PM
I would love to host a KY-OH-WV tri-state meet, but the weather is so unpredictable around here. And, one of the attractions is no more. The button copy along I-64 has been replaced with Clearview.

If you ever DO decide to do that meet, I'm in...especially since I have free lodging in Carter County. :D
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

hbelkins

Quote from: oldblue910 on October 19, 2012, 10:32:13 AM
If you ever DO decide to do that meet, I'm in...especially since I have free lodging in Carter County. :D

You can take us out to that old railroad bridge on your family's property.  :D

jdb1234

Anybody know what time we are meeting?  I am planning to attend but the thing is I not sure what to look for.

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on October 19, 2012, 07:26:55 PM
Anybody know what time we are meeting?  I am planning to attend but the thing is I not sure what to look for.

We are meeting at 11:00 am at the Logan's off of Lowery Pkwy in Fultondale. I should have a table by the time 11 am rolls around. We shoukd be expecting a group of 10-12 people.

If you or anyone else wants or needs to get in touch with me, my cell is 256-513-9254
Cody Goodman

jpi

Steph and I will be there! :-) and will be spending the night in Pelham area.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oldblue910

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2012, 01:18:06 PM
You can take us out to that old railroad bridge on your family's property.  :D

Gladly!!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.