News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MI - Planning an M-231 (Future US-31) Meet

Started by blcamp, March 04, 2013, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blcamp

Hello, all...

This is my first posting here on AARoads, and I'll start off big by announcing plans to host an upcoming meet in western Michigan, to cover the ongoing work on M-231, which will be the future US-31 bypass around Grand Haven and Holland, MI.

I have a lunch place in mind, but I'm not ready to announce that just yet - I want to get a headcount so I can make sure we can all be accommodated comfortably.

I'll be doing a reconissance trip perhaps in the next couple weeks, to find ideal spots out in the field for photos and discussion. The plan is to start where the majority of the work is being done, at the I-96 interchanges with M-231 and M-104, and the M-231/M-104 intersection; then we'll look at various work along M-231, including a new and badly-needed crossing over the Grand River.

A poll I posted on Yahoo! greatlakesroads indicated that the most ideal day to hold this would be April 13, and so unless I get overwhelming support for a different day, I think that's what we'll roll with.

For those of you who are interested in attending, please let me know here, which will give me a good idea as to how many to plan for.

Thanks everyone, enjoy your day, and I'll see you down the road.

Barry L. Camp

A.J. Bertin

Hi Barry! Another date I would suggest for this meet would be Saturday, March 23. I was talking to Sam Scholtens last night on the phone, and he really wants to go but said April 13 is probably not a good day for him.

I'd be cool with March 23 or April 13, but I just thought I'd suggest March 23 as an other possibility. Either way, I'm looking forward to attending another West Michigan meet close to home!  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

March 23 is already Monticello, though this might be far enough away to not have much conflict.

I would be a maybe if this was later in the year (it's way out of range for a day trip, but I have family in Portage, MI), but April 13 is busy for me.  My schedule opens up more around June (as far as I know).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

blcamp

Brandon

Maybe a May date?  Late May perhaps?  Ashland, KY is on April 6, and Dubuque is on May 4.  Even the first weekend in June could work out well.

Either way, I will try to get there (only 2 1/2 hours away).  :D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

A.J. Bertin

Out of curiosity, would you consider April 27?
-A.J. from Michigan

blcamp

Sure, I would consider 4/27...  my thinking was to have this an early spring meet, to break folks out of the winter doldrums. (I'm certainly suffering from them).

But if it's better to have it a bit later, I'm OK with that too.

Molandfreak

Sounds great, I'm pretty sure I could make the 27th or anytime in may! :nod:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SSOWorld

There are going to be lots of meets happening in April and May - I can't make em all  :-o
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DanTheMan414

Welcome to the board, Barry!  Sounds like a great meet opportunity.   Count me in for sure if you decide on April 27th.

ce929wax

I might be interested in coming, I'll have to see whats going on.

blcamp

Seems like there is some interest in April 27th, and trying to get it done this month will be too short of notice now, so I will set it for that date. I'll have a more formal announcement soon, after I do a quick recon trip to the area.

ftballfan

April 13th would work better for me. I head back home from college on April 24th (I go to school ~15 minutes from the M-231 corridor)

brianreynolds

I will attend if I can.  Timing is everything.  If only I knew the right time.

Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

SSOWorld

Keep in mind Barry that I have the Dubuque meet May 4.  I am iffy on coming over there - if I had time and $$$ I'd definitely use the SS Badger to go there and drive around to get back.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Molandfreak

Sorry, I can't make this one... I thought I could :-/
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

blcamp

Hey all...

I've got the day off tomorrow from work, so I'm going to be making my reconnaissance trip tomorrow afternoon, to check out where participants can stop, park and talk. I'll confim the lunch spot also. Looks like the weather is going to be very cooperative, too.  :clap:

Barry

A.J. Bertin

Awesome! Is April 27 the confirmed date?
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

I'll be out in Grand Rapids in July, can't make anything sooner than that really. Just for my edification, are the Grand River bridges under construction, is there any way to get to them, is there any roadway construction beyond that or just the I-96 improvements?

brianreynolds

April 27th will not work for me.  The granddaughter is due April 30th.  At this point, our trip South is scheduled to begin either April 26 or the 27th in the early AM.

I will enjoy the meet through your photos and descriptions.  Be prolific.  Have fun.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

blcamp

As they say in the NFL:

"Upon further review..."

After taking a trip out to the area this past Friday afternoon to look over the site(s), then mulling it over the past couple days, I've decided it's best to POSTPONE this meet for one year.

There's two issues going on here.

One, it's too early in this project to really see much of anything beyond the interchange work at I-96/M-231/M-104. The remainder of the project is only cleared-away trees and a couple of overpasses with no roadways on either side approaching them. From my perspective, there's just not enough here to justify having some folks drive hundreds of miles for a couple 10-minute photo-ops.

The other issue is a wicked one from a logistical standpoint. One of the most critical portions of this project is a span over the Grand River, which effectively cuts off the northern part of this project from the southern end, and we will have to drive roughly 30 miles to get between either bridge approach. If we're going to have a meet, I don't want us going through that hassle just to see some trees cut down and a little bit of dirt pushed around.

So...  I'm going to mark this on the calendar for the Spring of 2014. There will be a lot more worth seeing...  next year.

Barry

A.J. Bertin

Sounds good, Barry. Thanks for letting us know. I'm looking forward to this meet for next year!
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Maybe another Michigan meet (Mid-Michigan or so) could be held instead?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

How about y'all just come drive US 31 and 131 with me on July 13? (:

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Steve on April 03, 2013, 10:35:20 PM
How about y'all just come drive US 31 and 131 with me on July 13? (:

YAY!!! If you set July 13 as the date for your trip, I will mark it on my calendar and will plan on this for sure. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.